swapping ATI 9800 for Nvidia comaparable

Old October 13th 04, 02:40 PM
OVS

Default swapping ATI 9800 for Nvidia comaparable

Hi,
I've been having problems with a recently purchased Sapphire Radeon 9800
pro(long frustrating story), and after exhausting every avenue, I've
decided to swap the card for a model from Nvidia.

I've had a look at some Nvidia cards which are roughly in the same price
range, but the choice is vast. I've decided on the GeForce NX 6800-TD
128MB DDR as a possible replacement.

http://www.savastore.com/category.as...ge=14&keyword=

I've had a google search and I've only encountered 'proper' 6800's
which are obviously way more powerful and pricer.

My question is, how is this card in comparison to the 9800 pro? Should I
look at different Nvidia cards? I need a card with roughly the same
performance or higher within the same price range. Although the above NX
6800 is £40 more, I'm willing to spend that little extra if the card is
worth it.

Thank you
Old October 13th 04, 03:11 PM
Mal

"OVS" wrote in message ...
[...]

looking at the MSI global site it seems that the NX 6800TD is a standard
6800 .... ie not a GT or Ultra

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=605

should be quite a bit better than your 9800pro as it's the next generation
of card and comparible with the ATI x800 series ... if it was me I'd pay the
extra £40

Mal

Old October 13th 04, 03:56 PM
OVS

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:11:06 +0100, Mal wrote:

"OVS" wrote in message ...

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=605

should be quite a bit better than your 9800pro as it's the next generation
of card and comparible with the ATI x800 series ... if it was me I'd pay the
extra £40

Mal

Thanks for the reply Mal. I've had a look at Tom hardware site, armed with
the knoweldge of the 6800NX being 6800 128MG
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra.../doom3-02.html

And it looks good. Hope now that the vendor will be o.k with the swap
(+excess of course!)
Old October 13th 04, 07:25 PM
OVS

Just one other question. Looking through this newsgroup for mentions of the
6800, is it correct to say if someone mentions say, a Gefore 6800 its
assumed to be the 128MB version?
Old October 13th 04, 07:53 PM
Keith Archer

Just bought and installed a MSI NX6800TD128 and found it to be absolutely
fantastic.

I really do not believe that there is a better card available with as much
bang per buck.

It's a hell of a lot better in Doom3 and Richard Burns Rally than was my old
GF4600Ti and a recently borrowed Saphire Radeon 9800Pro.

There's even a fan speed control slider which I have turned down to lower
the noise level enormously, while not noticing any temperature differences -
I don't overclock.

I'd certainly recommend it to anyone interested in a current model Nvidia
card but who does not (like me) want to fork out big money for the 6800 GT
or Ultra - which I don't believe will offer much noticeable improvement on
my platform (P4 3.2E/Intel 865PE/ 1GB DDR400) anyway over the 6800/128.

Let the flames commence.

Keith

Old October 13th 04, 08:01 PM
OVS

=
I'd certainly recommend it to anyone interested in a current model Nvidia
card but who does not (like me) want to fork out big money for the 6800 GT
or Ultra - which I don't believe will offer much noticeable improvement on
my platform (P4 3.2E/Intel 865PE/ 1GB DDR400) anyway over the 6800/128.

Let the flames commence.

Keith

Perfect, I'm convinced!
I've e-mailed (no bloody phone line for tech support!) my vendor...and
fingers crossed they won't have any problem in swapping the cards.

Old October 14th 04, 01:04 AM
R.V. Gronoff

Keith Archer a écrit :
Just bought and installed a MSI NX6800TD128 and found it to be absolutely
fantastic.

I really do not believe that there is a better card available with as much
bang per buck.

Does it work on an AGP 4x bus ?
Old October 14th 04, 02:23 AM
Vu

"R.V. Gronoff" wrote in
message ...
Keith Archer a écrit :
Just bought and installed a MSI NX6800TD128 and found it to be

absolutely
fantastic.

I really do not believe that there is a better card available with as

much
bang per buck.

Does it work on an AGP 4x bus ?

I've got a Leadtek 6800GT in my 4x AGP mobo at the moment.
Goes well, although I really need to upgrade the rest of
the computer...

Vu.

Old October 14th 04, 05:03 PM
CapFusion

"R.V. Gronoff" wrote in
message ...
Keith Archer a écrit :
Just bought and installed a MSI NX6800TD128 and found it to be absolutely
fantastic.

I really do not believe that there is a better card available with as
much bang per buck.

Does it work on an AGP 4x bus ?

Generally speaking, should be fine.
Best if you can check your manual of that MoBo to see if it support to be
sure.

CapFusion,...

Old October 14th 04, 05:37 PM
OVS

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:40:43 +0100, OVS wrote:

My question is, how is this card in comparison to the 9800 pro? Should I
look at different Nvidia cards? I need a card with roughly the same
performance or higher within the same price range. Although the above NX
6800 is £40 more, I'm willing to spend that little extra if the card is
worth it.

Thank you

Oh bugger!
tq96 post has put a spanner in the works. Its only because I had decided on
a 6800 that these problems have arisen. I swear there is a higher power
somewhere conspiring against me!