GF5600 recognized as 5900: problems

Old September 30th 04, 02:54 PM
Sjoerd

Default GF5600 recognized as 5900: problems

I've got a GF5600, but somehow XP recognizes it as a 5900. i just installed
the latest detanator, but it still thinks it's a 5900.

Is it possible to change this ? how ?

Thanks for any answers !!

oh, i think this is a problem because when i play the game 'Shellshock: 'nam
67' at random moments the screen freezes for a couple of sec's and then my
entire computer shuts down. when i fire it back up again, XP tells me it
recovered from a serious crash caused by my GF5900 (which i dont have).

Help me !

Thanks !

Old September 30th 04, 03:08 PM
Sjoerd

Let me alter that question.

I went to look for info on my mobo and found out that i DO have a GF5900

Can someone please answer the question concerning the hard crash during
gameplay described below?

Thanks

system specs:

mobo: Asus P4P800SE
Club3D GF 5900 FX (128mb)
P4 3.2 Ghz
768 DDR
Hercules Muse 5.1 sound

"Sjoerd" schreef in bericht

Old September 30th 04, 08:50 PM
John Lewis

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:08:05 +0200, "Sjoerd" wrote:

Let me alter that question.

I went to look for info on my mobo and found out that i DO have a GF5900

You are so lucky.... Like winning $100 in a lottery.

Can someone please answer the question concerning the hard crash during
gameplay described below?

In order, one of the following:-

1. If running a 3.2 Prescott, check your power-supply label for AT
LEAST 18 Amps total available @ +12V. You might be able to get
away with 18 amps if you have just one hard-disk, a single
DVD/CD-ROM ( no burners ). no other peripherals or cards requiring

+12V AND NO OVERCLOCKING OF EITHER GPU or CPU.

If your BIOS allows manual underclocking of the CPU, that will
reduce the +12V current-consumption; youcould experiment with
that that to see if the problem goes away or reduces in
frequency. For a 3.2 Northwood, 16-17 amps should
be OK with minimal peripherals.

2. Overtemperature. Open the nVidia Temperature Setting screen
on desktop and leave open (assuming, of course that your 5900 XT
board has temp-monitoring - many XTs don't ). Start game in full
3D mode. After 2-3 minutes Alt-tab out of game and IMMEDIATELY
read the temperature . Temp should be no higher than 75 degrees.
C. If no on-card temp monitoring, take side off case and direct a
desk-fan at the 5900 board and see if the fault incidence reduces
or disappears.

3. Faulty FX5900XT. Never heard of the vendor...........

John Lewis

Thanks

system specs:

mobo: Asus P4P800SE
Club3D GF 5900 FX (128mb)
P4 3.2 Ghz
768 DDR
Hercules Muse 5.1 sound

"Sjoerd" schreef in bericht
.. .

Old October 2nd 04, 03:42 PM
Sjoerd

First off, let me thank you for your answer !

"John Lewis" schreef in bericht
[...]

I'm afraid i have no idea what a Prescott is. Although i have a dvd burner
and cd burner, i only have one HD (WD 160 Gb) and a custom HUGE
powersupply-thingy. I don't overclock either my GPU or my CPU.

2. Overtemperature. Open the nVidia Temperature Setting screen
on desktop and leave open (assuming, of course that your 5900 XT
board has temp-monitoring - many XTs don't ). Start game in full
3D mode. After 2-3 minutes Alt-tab out of game and IMMEDIATELY
read the temperature . Temp should be no higher than 75 degrees.
C. If no on-card temp monitoring, take side off case and direct a
desk-fan at the 5900 board and see if the fault incidence reduces
or disappears.

I've been playing for a while and switched back to the nvidia advanced
settings/temp monitor, but it didn't rise above 61 degr. C.

3. Faulty FX5900XT. Never heard of the vendor...........

I thought it was a pretty respected graph card vendor :
http://www.club-3d.com/ , although i have to admit i'm absolutely no
expert...

John Lewis

The thing is that playing other games, Doom3 or Rome: Total War for
instance, i have no problem what so ever.

maybe it's just the game ? ( http://www.shellshockgame.com/ )

Anyway thanks for your help...

Thanks

system specs: