Asus A7V-E & Gainward mx440

Old September 29th 04, 10:46 PM
Soupladel

Default Asus A7V-E & Gainward mx440

I have recently come across a problem with the above Motherboard & Gfx card.

My friend recently asked me to install XP onto his machine, which all went
smoothly, however when you shut the machine down it locks up and you have to
hold in the power button to shut it off. Windows ME was previously
installed without any probs, nothing was changed in the hardware except the
installation of a stick of 256MB pc133.

When he ran the compatibility test it did mention the Gfx card and mobo
didn't like each other, but physically there is no issues, it runs all progs
with errors including games, it is only when you try to shut the machine
down!

Soupladel

Old September 30th 04, 12:35 AM
CapFusion

"Soupladel" wrote in message
. ..
I have recently come across a problem with the above Motherboard & Gfx
card.

My friend recently asked me to install XP onto his machine, which all went
smoothly, however when you shut the machine down it locks up and you have
to hold in the power button to shut it off. Windows ME was previously
installed without any probs, nothing was changed in the hardware except
the installation of a stick of 256MB pc133.

When he ran the compatibility test it did mention the Gfx card and mobo
didn't like each other, but physically there is no issues, it runs all
progs with errors including games, it is only when you try to shut the
machine down!

Soupladel

Either hardware or software that is not able to closing or shutting down.
Or
Check in Device Manager under Computer category for ACPI.

CapFusion,...

Old September 30th 04, 06:09 PM
Soupladel

"CapFusion" wrote in message

"Soupladel" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

No, the pc shuts down ok before the Drivers are installed. So I know it is
not an issue with the hardware as such.

From a clean installation of XP with just the drivers it will not shutdown,
so again I know it is not software interfering with the shutdown (well other
than XP itself). I have tried freeing up resources such as disabling the
onboard serial ports which are never used. The mobo has had the bios
flashed to the latest version and still no joy. I have tried both the
latest Nvidia driver and the drivers from the Gainward site, but still the
same problem.

I expect it is a conflict between the two items that probably can't be
resolved, it is just strange how the problem only surfaces when the drivers
are fully installed.

Soupladel

Old September 30th 04, 07:10 PM
CapFusion

"Soupladel" wrote in message
.. .

"CapFusion" wrote in message

"Soupladel" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

From a clean installation of XP with just the drivers it will not
shutdown, so again I know it is not software interfering with the shutdown
(well other than XP itself). I have tried freeing up resources such as
disabling the onboard serial ports which are never used. The mobo has had
the bios flashed to the latest version and still no joy. I have tried
both the latest Nvidia driver and the drivers from the Gainward site, but
still the same problem.

I expect it is a conflict between the two items that probably can't be
resolved, it is just strange how the problem only surfaces when the
drivers are fully installed.

Soupladel

Since you indicated you have install a 256MB PC133 module, can your replace
what you have before and see if it make any differences?

CapFusion,...

Old October 5th 04, 11:12 PM
Soupladel

"CapFusion" wrote in message

"Soupladel" wrote in message
.. .

"CapFusion" wrote in message

"Soupladel" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

From a clean installation of XP with just the drivers it will not
shutdown, so again I know it is not software interfering with the
shutdown (well other than XP itself). I have tried freeing up resources
such as disabling the onboard serial ports which are never used. The
mobo has had the bios flashed to the latest version and still no joy. I
have tried both the latest Nvidia driver and the drivers from the
Gainward site, but still the same problem.

I expect it is a conflict between the two items that probably can't be
resolved, it is just strange how the problem only surfaces when the
drivers are fully installed.

Soupladel

Since you indicated you have install a 256MB PC133 module, can your
replace what you have before and see if it make any differences?

CapFusion,...

was actually an additional ram stick, and no it didn't make a difference!

Soupladel

Old October 6th 04, 12:58 AM
CapFusion

"Soupladel" wrote in message
.. .

"CapFusion" wrote in message

"Soupladel" wrote in message
.. .

"CapFusion" wrote in message

"Soupladel" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

From a clean installation of XP with just the drivers it will not
[...]

Do you still want to continue to trouble-shoot the problem? If still, then,
can you try putting your Gainward MX440 another PC and see if problem follow
on XP?
I know A7V with Gainward MX440 should not cause problem.

Back to your 250MB Module, I did not quite understand your reply regarding -
"...and no it didn't make a difference!". Did you remove it or even swap to
another bank? And also make sure any module is seated firmly. Most common
problem with user when I check, module is not quite in but still connect and
still work.

CapFusion,...