Looks not so good for Nvidia drivers..

Old September 29th 04, 03:05 AM
Steven K

Default Looks not so good for Nvidia drivers..

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18730

Old September 29th 04, 03:22 AM
JTS

So what does it all mean? My NVIDIA drivers work.

Old September 29th 04, 03:51 AM
twobirds

Steven K wrote:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18730

I'm not entirely sure who cares about M$oft WHQL any more. As long as your
favourite games run and look good, so what? Besides, half of my nVidia
boards are not in systems with M$oft operating systems. I would imagine
more than a couple of people would be the same...

Old September 29th 04, 04:07 AM
Steven K

"twobirds" wrote in message

Steven K wrote:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18730

I'm not entirely sure who cares about M$oft WHQL any more. As long as
your favourite games run and look good, so what? Besides, half of my
nVidia boards are not in systems with M$oft operating systems. I would
imagine more than a couple of people would be the same...

The time will come u cant install non certified drivers any longer - then
what? Nvidia pulling out of Windows? - or betta writing compliant drivers.
What's wrong with writing compliant drivers?

:-)

Old September 29th 04, 05:05 AM
twobirds

Steven K wrote:
"twobirds" wrote in message

Steven K wrote:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18730

I'm not entirely sure who cares about M$oft WHQL any more. As long
as your favourite games run and look good, so what? Besides, half
of my nVidia boards are not in systems with M$oft operating systems.
I would imagine more than a couple of people would be the same...

The time will come u cant install non certified drivers any longer -
then what? Nvidia pulling out of Windows? - or betta writing
compliant drivers. What's wrong with writing compliant drivers?

I don't see that happening in the near future. There are too many devices
still in service that were manufactured before w2k or xp. There are still
too many designs in use for the X86 architecture that will never have WHQL
drivers (see 35 or 40% of all voice modems for an example) How many
software designers assume that all devices their software interacts with
will always have WHQL drivers? 5%? 3%? Less? In the realm ov video
cards: As long as OpenGL and other renderers exist, WHQL drivers for video
boards will be somewhat meaningless because M$oft can't completely capture
the whole 3D market with D3D/DirectX. Until M$oft has 100% of the 3D and 2D
market tied up in their incarnations of it, they can't even try to release
an OS that will require 100% WHQL drivers for every device.

Old September 29th 04, 05:18 AM
Predator

The time will come u cant install non certified drivers any longer -

an opinion of the clueless. Do you realize how many developers write custom
drivers that don't need certification? it would be a coup to not allow non
certified drivers

Old September 29th 04, 09:34 PM
robin.gordon1

I have to agree with the line of thought that WHQL aren't worth the page
they're write on. lots of non certified drivers abound out there and even
the likes of Intel have a lot of equipment with non-certified drivers.
with revisions of drivers coming out in such small time frames then
certification just cant be waited on.

Robin

Old September 29th 04, 09:58 PM
CapFusion

"robin.gordon1" wrote in message
I have to agree with the line of thought that WHQL aren't worth the page
they're write on. lots of non certified drivers abound out there and even
the likes of Intel have a lot of equipment with non-certified drivers.
with revisions of drivers coming out in such small time frames then
certification just cant be waited on.

Robin

WHQL maybe not worth the weight it written on but it an indication that it
is certified to be working or up to the standard or such.

CapFusion,...

Old September 30th 04, 10:29 AM
John Lewis

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:22:31 -0400, "JTS" wrote:

So what does it all mean? My NVIDIA drivers work.

Nothing. More of the usual Inquirer garbage.
The gutter magazine for illiterate nerds.

Check the official archives on the nVidia website.

For example, see:-

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

and click on each entry to view the driver page. WHQL
status is clearly listed.

For the last 4 nVidia official releases only the latest (61.77) is
non-WHQL. 61.76 is WHQL... and the only reason why
61.77 is non-WHQL is that good ole M$$$$ does not have
a DX9.0c test-suite !!

The Inquirer must be counting leaked beta releases or
interim releases of incompletely-QC'd versions from
nVidia partners.

Anyway WHQL means nothing. 56.64 WHQL crashed
my video editor ( Adobe Premiere ) - went back to faithful
53.04. 56.72 WHQL released 2 weeks later ran fine ----
at least somebody in nVidia QC was awake, unlike the
sloppily-tested-on-real-applications-and-released-
every-three-weeks Ati drivers. Ati motto must be: Pass
WHQL and to h**l with regression-QC on real applications.
Easy to have a moron run the driver mechanically through
the WHQL tests. Needs brains to effectively carry out
regression-testing.

Remember the Ati/Thief3 driver fiasco ? Took them at least
5 driver releases to fix the Thief 3 shadows............
( fixed yet ?? )

John Lewis

Old October 1st 04, 01:17 AM
James Douglas

I just bought a GeForce FX 5200, installed it correctly,
installed the
latest drivers for it from nVidia's site, and NONE of my 3D
games work.
My screen goes black or just freezes the entire computer up
just as they
start. I've got an Athlon 800MHz CPU, 384 megs of on board
SDRAM
(PC-100). I cannot figure this one out! N E CLUES? I'm
running a
Soundblaster Live on this as well. Also, where are the
settings for
Direct Draw and OpenGL? One other thing too: When I go into
the DirectX
diagnostics, it freezes on DirectDraw.
:

"Steven K" wrote in message
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18730

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

8500DV - on restart WinXP h/w auto detect reinstalls old drivers I just removed!! Ian Roberts Ati Videocards 6 July 20th 04 01:16 PM
Radeon IGP 345M Drivers + Omega Jamie Phillips Ati Videocards 0 June 15th 04 03:40 AM
ATI Win9x drivers are NFG. Slug Ati Videocards 4 May 3rd 04 08:36 PM
Please Help Mary Ati Videocards 36 February 29th 04 07:28 PM
A7N8X Deluxe and SATA Drivers Bluescreening Norton Ghost Eyman Asus Motherboards 3 July 7th 03 11:01 AM