AA & Aniso. settings for games

Old August 29th 04, 07:10 PM
MJ

Default AA & Aniso. settings for games

I am a little lost on using AA and the Anisotropic settings with my games.
I have BFG6800Ultra and a pretty fast rig for playing games.
Under my display properties I had been using the selection "application
controlled".
What are "ideal" settings for games like FarCry, Doom3, etc (I know each
game is different and it varies by system)
I just need help understanding what AA setting I should use 2x, 4x, etc. in
conjunction with Aniso. 1,2,4,6,8,12x...
Should I set everything to max and hope for the best (trial & error)?

Thanks,
MJ

Old August 29th 04, 08:53 PM
PRIVATE1964

I just need help understanding what AA setting I should use 2x, 4x, etc. in
conjunction with Aniso. 1,2,4,6,8,12x...
Should I set everything to max and hope for the best (trial & error)?

Yeah it's pretty much as high as you can go, as long as the game works OK with
the settings and your framerate is not too low.

I use atuner it lets you set up each game with it's own settings for AA and AF.
I know the Nvidia drivers have that option, but atuner is easier to setup and
use IMO.
Old August 29th 04, 09:06 PM
Kokoro

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, MJ ordered an army of hamsters to
type:

I am a little lost on using AA and the Anisotropic settings with my
games. I have BFG6800Ultra and a pretty fast rig for playing games.
Under my display properties I had been using the selection
"application controlled".
What are "ideal" settings for games like FarCry, Doom3, etc (I know
each game is different and it varies by system)
I just need help understanding what AA setting I should use 2x, 4x,
etc. in conjunction with Aniso. 1,2,4,6,8,12x...
Should I set everything to max and hope for the best (trial & error)?

Thanks,
MJ

Adjust to your own personal tastes. I recommend doing a few google
searches finding out exactly what Anisotropic filtering, and AntiAliasing
is and try different settings out in games and decide on settings you like,
those settings may actually be 12xAniso and 8xAA, or you may think the
opposite and prefer sheer framerates over quality. The higher settings you
chose the larger the performance hit maybe... though with that graphics
card its not going to be a as larger hinderance as it would be with other
cards.

For instance; I feel happy to use MS flight sim at 4xAA and 2xAniso, I dont
feel as if higher quality settings add more to the game and the extra frame
rates (the card is an XFX built 6800GT) are welcome. But everyones
personal tastes are different; my brother refuses to use anything but the
highest qualities.

happy playing

Kokoro
Old August 29th 04, 09:21 PM
GTS

"MJ" wrote in message
nk.net...
I am a little lost on using AA and the Anisotropic settings with my games.
I have BFG6800Ultra and a pretty fast rig for playing games.
Under my display properties I had been using the selection "application
controlled".
What are "ideal" settings for games like FarCry, Doom3, etc (I know each
game is different and it varies by system)
I just need help understanding what AA setting I should use 2x, 4x, etc.

in
conjunction with Aniso. 1,2,4,6,8,12x...
Should I set everything to max and hope for the best (trial & error)?

Thanks,
MJ

Adjust to suit your taste! The higher the settings you use, the bigger the
performance hit.
Luckily, it is easy to use custom settings for individual games. Leave the
global defaults as they are, and just add custom profiles for any game you
want - perhaps you could try one out to see the effects.
(To add a profile, just click Add..., then browse to select the game
executable, type in the name you want to use.)
Anti-Aliasing gets rid of the jagged lines, most noticeable in low
resolutions. Anisotropic filtering improves image quality for scenes with
objects that extend from the foreground deep into the background.
To add more confusion, another choice to make (in advanced settings) is
wether to use anisotropic optimsations - these help performance when you do
anisotropic filtering.
I don't have as good a card as you, so I tend to stick with 2x for both FSAA
and AF, with AF optimizations enabled.

Old August 30th 04, 12:31 AM
YanquiDawg

It's different for every game.And it also depends on how fast the rest of your
system is.
In Far Cry for example,I tried running a benchmark at 1024x768 w no AA and
Aniso at 8x. It was in the high 20's. Tried at 4X AA and 0 aniso and it was in
the high 40's to low fifties. Wit AA and Aniso both off it ran in the 70's.
I thought it was kinda slow though. My setup is:
CT-VNF3-250 nForce 3 754 mobo
A64 2800+ CPU
512M PC3700 DDR
Nvidia Geforce FX5900.