Not OT, right on topic: Ridiculous prices+rich(?) people=inflation in the market

Old August 7th 04, 04:11 PM
GT-Force

Default Not OT, right on topic: Ridiculous prices+rich(?) people=inflation in the market

Hi,

I just can't help but see that people are not ****ed off, but in fact paying
these ridiculous graphics card bills.

I remember the days we were paying $65 for a really good graphics card.
Although I know that todays's cards are way way different than those days',
I still think that especially latest generation cards are way overpriced.
$600?!? $500? Please, even $400?

Always remember: If no one buys them, the prices WILL go down, and quick!
The rich, or dumb, pull the prices up, and keep them up by paying for these
ridiculous price tags; and we all loose!

The companies will milk the bejeesus out of us, if they can, nad they will.
Why would not they? If I could sell something for the most that I could sell
it for,i.e., not for what it's worth, why would I sell it for any lower,
right?

Same applies to latest (especially hyped) games, a very good example is
Doom3. $55 for a game? Good God! No way I am paying that. Card prices are
already inflated, I am not going to help inflating the game prices now.

Come on people, THINK and ACT! Please...
I thought that the 'computer community' was a little smarter than this.
Let's not be herd by the marketers of these companies.

What do you think? Spell your guts, it's your turn.

GT

Old August 7th 04, 04:55 PM
Brett

The rich, or dumb, pull the prices up, and keep them up by paying for
these
ridiculous price tags; and we all loose!

Oh noes !!! We all the loosers!!!!

B.

Old August 7th 04, 05:08 PM
Lou

"GT-Force" wrote in message
[...]

We are game addicts. Not buying the latest hardware to play your game at its
max is like a junky saying "ok I wont buy any more drugs until the price
comes down".
Actually I can afford to buy the latest graphics card ,but even though there
is a lot of excitement about the new games like D3 and how good the new
cards are, I am holding off on buying them because IMO they cost more than I
care to spend for something that I don't really need. Well, at least until
my game addictiveness takes over. I keep reading the D3 reviews and actually
hoping its not really that good so I wont be tempted to buy it or new V card
for it until the price comes down. HL2 is going to be very tough to hold off
an upgrade. Hopefully it will be delayed again, oh but by then I might need
a whole new PC. Dam!

Lou

Old August 7th 04, 05:12 PM
Sham B

Same applies to latest (especially hyped) games, a very good example
is Doom3. $55 for a game? Good God! No way I am paying that. Card
prices are already inflated, I am not going to help inflating the
game prices now.

Its all marketing. They know that x% of the buying population will pay $55, and after that, another
y% will pay $30.00, and finally, it will sell for $20.00

Play them at their own game and buy in when you feel good with the price.

Quake 3 Arena goes for $10.99 at Amazon at the moment

Old August 7th 04, 05:16 PM
Blahguy

"GT-Force" wrote in message
Hi,

I just can't help but see that people are not ****ed off, but in fact

paying
these ridiculous graphics card bills.

I remember the days we were paying $65 for a really good graphics card.
Although I know that todays's cards are way way different than those

days',
I still think that especially latest generation cards are way overpriced.
$600?!? $500? Please, even $400?

The high prices VGA market is only a small portion of the total market, and
a small percentage of sales.

Always remember: If no one buys them, the prices WILL go down, and quick!
The rich, or dumb, pull the prices up, and keep them up by paying for

these
ridiculous price tags; and we all loose!

If no one buys them they will not be produced, as this would be the signal
that the market does not want them.

The companies will milk the bejeesus out of us, if they can, nad they

will.
Why would not they? If I could sell something for the most that I could

sell
it for,i.e., not for what it's worth, why would I sell it for any lower,
right?

Same applies to latest (especially hyped) games, a very good example is
Doom3. $55 for a game? Good God! No way I am paying that. Card prices are
already inflated, I am not going to help inflating the game prices now.

It's market forces - companies have a unique product and they will optimise
their profit. You just said you would do it yourself in the previous
paragraph. Why do you think PS2 games and DVDs are reigion specific? So
companies can charge different prices in different counties as too what they
think the market will bear.

Come on people, THINK and ACT! Please...
I thought that the 'computer community' was a little smarter than this.
Let's not be herd by the marketers of these companies.

What do you think? Spell your guts, it's your turn.

GT

I think you are naive. If you think product x is too expensive then don't
buy it.

Old August 7th 04, 06:01 PM
Cuzman

"GT-Force" wrote in message

" Same applies to latest (especially hyped) games, a very good example is
Doom3. $55 for a game? Good God! No way I am paying that. Card prices are
already inflated, I am not going to help inflating the game prices now. "

I'll admit that I am addicted to games, but I've made a pact with myself
that I don't buy games when they first come out. That way, I get the
cheaper versions that include patches, updates and add-ons. I still have
many games on the shelf to play that are 1-2 years old, and this regime also
gives me the luxury to afford the best graphics card from that generation.
I'm about to upgrade my Ti4200 to a 9700 Pro, and I have no plans to buy
Doom3 until it comes down a little in price.

Old August 7th 04, 06:17 PM
Augustus

"GT-Force" wrote in message
Hi,

I just can't help but see that people are not ****ed off, but in fact

paying
these ridiculous graphics card bills.

I remember the days we were paying $65 for a really good graphics card.
Although I know that todays's cards are way way different than those

days',
I still think that especially latest generation cards are way overpriced.
$600?!? $500? Please, even $400?

It's always been that way. You want bleeding edge, you pay. Back in early
1998 I paid over $300 Cdn for a new Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo card. I paid
over $200 Cdn at the same time for a decent 2D/3D 4Mb Diamond Viper 330 AGP
card. For those of you who don't remember, you needed both cards in your
system. The Voodoo had a pass through cable from the other vide card. AT the
time, this was pretty much cutting edge state of the art. Total cost, 8
years ago, over $500. Total cost today, at least $550. So how have things
changed costwise, exactly?

Old August 7th 04, 06:28 PM
Kokoro

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, GT-Force ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

[...]

i dont know, you get what you pay for. When i bought my Voodoo5 it cost
£200, i got my FX5800 for £266 and i got my 6800GT for £245 there is a
difference in prices but its not like its gone up by hundreds

What i have noticed though, over the last few years is that the performance
differences between the low end cards and the high end cards is much wider
than it was. Maybe the prices reflect that?

.....then again ive been watching my little sister lay Alice on my spare
Voodoo3 equiped machine and have been commenting on just how smoothly it
plays, i always thought the little card to be a slow clunky thing.
Old August 7th 04, 06:33 PM
Kokoro

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Kokoro ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

i dont know, you get what you pay for. When i bought my Voodoo5 it
cost £200, i got my FX5800 for £266 and i got my 6800GT for £245 there
is a difference in prices but its not like its gone up by hundreds

okay, i just checked my recipt, including vat my £245 6800GT was actually
£289.... maybe too close to £300 for much comfort
Old August 7th 04, 06:39 PM
PRIVATE1964

I'm sorry but $55 is not that much for a game in 2004.
I remember buying Fleet Defender when it came out at Compusa. It was $50 for
that flight sim in 1994 when I bought it. I also remember other games being
around $50 in 1994 when they first came out. If you want it right when it comes
out be prepared to pay a higher amount.

If you don't want to pay the $50 wait a couple of weeks and buy it when the
price drops which it always does.
It's just like video cards, never buy something right when it comes out and you
can save yourself some money.

Doom 3 seems like a game I would be willing to pay $50 for, as did Fleet
Defender in 1994.

Not OT, right on topic: Ridiculous prices+rich(?) people=inflation in the market GT-Force Ati Videocards 31 August 10th 04 05:05 PM
oops.. steve General 6 April 28th 04 01:43 AM
AMD Barton 2500 prices [email protected] General 1 January 2nd 04 02:15 PM
AMD slashes prices upto 40% Jerry McBride Overclocking AMD Processors 1 December 9th 03 05:46 AM
Higher prices for CDRs they say in a news article Mutley Cdr 7 November 9th 03 11:04 AM