general tip for geforce 4 ti owners playing doom drivers

Old August 7th 04, 12:02 AM
Thomas

Default general tip for geforce 4 ti owners playing doom drivers

I've been using the 45.23 drivers on my card for the longest time, as they
got the best 3d mark 2001 score. My doom 3 timedemo results were
disappointing, however - I was getting a 24 fps on 800 x 600 medium
settings. I used the config file changes recommended here
http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/FPSVisuals.htm

This got me up to 30 fps at 800 x 600 medium. However, the biggest change
came when I upgraded drivers to the 61.77 forceware drivers.. My timedemo
results are now about 42 on 1024 x 768 medium. I couldn't believe the
results. Just a tip for those who may be clinging to the old drivers like I
was.

Of course, YMMV...

My system..

athlon xp 2800

geforce 4 ti 4600

1024 meg ram (333)

Tom

Old August 7th 04, 04:31 AM
PRIVATE1964

Just a tip for those who may be clinging to the old drivers like I
was.

That's good to know thanks.

Did you double check?
Old August 7th 04, 05:18 AM
Chuck

This got me up to 30 fps at 800 x 600 medium. However, the biggest change
came when I upgraded drivers to the 61.77 forceware drivers.. My timedemo
results are now about 42 on 1024 x 768 medium. I couldn't believe the
results. Just a tip for those who may be clinging to the old drivers like

was.

Thanks for the tip. I went from 17.7 fps to 26.3 fps on 1024 x 768
switching to the 61.77's.

XP 2700+
1Gb PC2700
GF4 4800Ti SE

Old August 7th 04, 05:30 AM
Thomas

"PRIVATE1964" wrote in message
Just a tip for those who may be clinging to the old drivers like I
was.

That's good to know thanks.

Did you double check?

Double check what?

Tom

Old August 7th 04, 05:18 PM
PRIVATE1964

Double check what?

Tom

The results, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke of some kind.
I've seen times where I thought drivers made a difference, and then found out
antialiasing was on or off, or overclock settings didn't kick in at start
up...etc.
Old August 7th 04, 06:44 PM
PRIVATE1964

However, I stopped using the config file as I wanted the more true
"medium" settings, if you can follow me.

I do. So you can notice lower detail using the autoexec tweaks?

Only thing I disable now is
shadows. At 1024 x 768 medium I'm now down to about 36. Still quite
playable, IMO

Don't the shadows add a lot to the game?

Old August 8th 04, 05:59 AM
Tom

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 00:18:01 -0400, "Chuck"
wrote:

This got me up to 30 fps at 800 x 600 medium. However, the biggest change
came when I upgraded drivers to the 61.77 forceware drivers.. My timedemo
results are now about 42 on 1024 x 768 medium. I couldn't believe the
results. Just a tip for those who may be clinging to the old drivers like

was.

Thanks for the tip. I went from 17.7 fps to 26.3 fps on 1024 x 768
switching to the 61.77's.

XP 2700+
1Gb PC2700
GF4 4800Ti SE

No problem. That's quite the difference - hopefully it improves the
game experience.

Tom

Old August 8th 04, 06:05 AM
JK

The Athlon XP chips are great for business software, but not so good
for Doom 3. For Doom 3, the Athlon 64 chips are superb!

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2149&p=7