OC Gainward GS

Old August 6th 04, 02:05 PM
Chuck

Default OC Gainward GS

Ok, now that I'm playing Doom 3, I need to think about these things...... I
have a Gainward GF4 Ti 4800 SE Golden Sample. I have EXPERTool that came
with the card installed and running. It allows me to manually set the
core/memory speeds. I also have the Coolbits installed, which as part of
the Nvidia advanced settings, allows me to set the core/memory speeds.

Which setting prevails if EXPERTool and Coolbits are not set at the same
speed? I never realized or noticed until I just started try to fool with
it. I'm at 300/650 with no problems. How high might I be able to safely
go?

Chuck
--
I am not running for office and I approve of this message.

Old August 6th 04, 03:23 PM
Phil

"Chuck" wrote in message
Ok, now that I'm playing Doom 3, I need to think about these things......

have a Gainward GF4 Ti 4800 SE Golden Sample. I have EXPERTool that came
with the card installed and running. It allows me to manually set the
core/memory speeds. I also have the Coolbits installed, which as part of
the Nvidia advanced settings, allows me to set the core/memory speeds.

Which setting prevails if EXPERTool and Coolbits are not set at the same
speed? I never realized or noticed until I just started try to fool with
it. I'm at 300/650 with no problems. How high might I be able to safely
go?

I've got the same card, and haven't really pushed it further than you, but
with the quality of the components it could probably go further. I found
somewhere which listed the memory timings etc and gave a clock rate the
memory chips could get to without being pushed, but I can't find the link
anymore.

I should imagine that the last one you set the clock on will be the
overriding one, for example if you clocked it at 280 in coolbits, then 300
in EXPERTool, it would run at 300, and vice-versa.

I would say at 320/675 you're going to be lucky to not damage the card or
get artifacts, but in all cases YMMV.

Clock it up 5MHz at a time, and run some tests for an hour or so, if its ok,
push it a bit further. Slow and tedious I know, but better than pushing it
waaaay to far when you start off.

Old August 6th 04, 06:48 PM
Chuck

I should imagine that the last one you set the clock on will be the
overriding one, for example if you clocked it at 280 in coolbits, then 300
in EXPERTool, it would run at 300, and vice-versa.

I would say at 320/675 you're going to be lucky to not damage the card or
get artifacts, but in all cases YMMV.

Clock it up 5MHz at a time, and run some tests for an hour or so, if its

ok,
push it a bit further. Slow and tedious I know, but better than pushing it
waaaay to far when you start off.

Thanks for the reply. I've had the card for about 15 months, love it. I've
never messed with OC'ing prior to now because I didn't need it.

I'm getting 19 fps in 1024x768 and 25 fps in 800x600 playing Doom. That's
prior to any tweaks. It could be better, but it is certainly playable.

Old August 7th 04, 10:34 AM
Phil

"Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
512MB PC2700
Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4800SE Golden Sample
80GB PATA 7200rpm, 2MB cache (Hitatchi)

All results taken after second run (timedemo demo1)

All Medium Detail

Stock Speeds

1280x1024 - 24.4fps
1024x768 - 33.2fps
800x600 - 44.9fps
640x480 - 49.7fps

Overclocked 300/580

1280x1024 - 26.2fps
1024x768 - 34.8fps
800x600 - 47.2fps
640x480 - 50.2fps

Old August 7th 04, 09:36 PM
Biz

Is it just me or is that not enough of a gain to bother with the extra heat
of overclocking, and potentially shortening the life of a vid card?

Old August 7th 04, 09:43 PM
Phil

"Biz" wrote in message
Is it just me or is that not enough of a gain to bother with the extra

heat
of overclocking, and potentially shortening the life of a vid card?

That's what I thought, it's perfectly playable at default speeds, so it's
staying default for now.

Old August 7th 04, 10:22 PM
Courseyauto

Is it just me or is that not enough of a gain to bother with the extra heat
of overclocking, and potentially shortening the life of a vid card?

If you cant see the difference,whats the point....................
Old August 8th 04, 04:38 AM
Biz

"Courseyauto" wrote in message

Is it just me or is that not enough of a gain to bother with the extra

heat
of overclocking, and potentially shortening the life of a vid card?

If you cant see the difference,whats the point....................

tell that to a few thousand or more benchmark fanboys....