Advice: replacement for mx440.

Old August 3rd 04, 10:57 PM
Wayne Rasmussen

Default Advice: replacement for mx440.

Yes, because of doom3.

Currently considering FX5700 Ultra or 6800 Ultra as a replacement. I
have a P4 processro but don't want to say the speed at this point.
Obviously faster is better, so we don't need to talk about that. What I
want is the reverse: What is the reasonable low end speed of the P4 to
work well with either of these cards?

Example Answer: 2.1 ghz would support 5700 but not 6800.

Thanks,

Old August 4th 04, 12:47 AM
arias

At 2.1ghz your cpu would be the bottleneck for the 6800
so it wouldnt be worth to to spend the extra or should i say alot extra for
the 6800 unless your going to upgrade your cpu also. The 5950 would be a
better choice.

Old August 4th 04, 04:56 AM
Cuzman

"Wayne Rasmussen" wrote in message

" I have a P4 processro but don't want to say the speed at this point. "

Unless you list your entire system, we can't advise on where you would be
best spending your money. What's a realistic budget for you?

Old August 4th 04, 06:55 PM
Wayne Rasmussen

arias wrote:

At 2.1ghz your cpu would be the bottleneck for the 6800
so it wouldnt be worth to to spend the extra or should i say alot extra for
the 6800 unless your going to upgrade your cpu also. The 5950 would be a
better choice.

So what speed do you need for the 6800?

Old August 4th 04, 06:55 PM
Wayne Rasmussen

Cuzman wrote:

"Wayne Rasmussen" wrote in message

" I have a P4 processro but don't want to say the speed at this point. "

Unless you list your entire system, we can't advise on where you would be
best spending your money. What's a realistic budget for you?

Redo: What speed would be needed to run the 6800?

Old August 4th 04, 06:57 PM
Wayne Rasmussen

arias wrote:

At 2.1ghz your cpu would be the bottleneck for the 6800
so it wouldnt be worth to to spend the extra or should i say alot extra for
the 6800 unless your going to upgrade your cpu also. The 5950 would be a
better choice.

doesn't the 5700 ultra have almost the same number of polygons per second as
the 5950 and cost less?

Old August 4th 04, 07:59 PM
Cuzman

"Wayne Rasmussen" wrote in message

" Redo: What speed would be needed to run the 6800? "

Any speed will 'run' it, as long as you have an AGP4x or AGP8x slot.
However, perhaps your system won't even utilise a card which is half that of
the 6800. You give no info, you get no help.

Old August 4th 04, 10:32 PM
Eric Witte

"arias" wrote in message .. .
At 2.1ghz your cpu would be the bottleneck for the 6800
so it wouldnt be worth to to spend the extra or should i say alot extra for
the 6800 unless your going to upgrade your cpu also. The 5950 would be a
better choice.

Not everyone upgrades everything at the same time. If you got a
6800GT it would be like upgrading the video card a second time when
you replace the MB/CPU

Eric
Old August 4th 04, 11:13 PM
Wayne Rasmussen

Cuzman wrote:

"Wayne Rasmussen" wrote in message

" Redo: What speed would be needed to run the 6800? "

Any speed will 'run' it, as long as you have an AGP4x or AGP8x slot.
However, perhaps your system won't even utilise a card which is half that of
the 6800. You give no info, you get no help.

That is fine. I was asking a general question. Someone else gave me some
advice on this who has used a lot of different cards.

Old August 5th 04, 11:09 AM
André Janz

Wayne Rasmussen wrote:

"Wayne Rasmussen" wrote in message

" I have a P4 processro but don't want to say the speed at this point. "

Unless you list your entire system, we can't advise on where you would be
best spending your money. What's a realistic budget for you?

Redo: What speed would be needed to run the 6800?

Depends on settings and resolution. If you run a very high resolution,
AA or similar then you are most probably limited by the video card. So
if you for example want to run 1600x1200 than a 6800 is probably not
wasted on CPUs even slower than a P4 2.1GHz.
If you want to see what's the FPS limit of your CPU you can try to set a
very low resolution because then you are hopefully not limited by the
video card (but lower than 640x480 is not possible with Doom 3, or is it?).

André