Pleasant surprise -- Doom 3 Performance

Old August 3rd 04, 09:58 PM
deimos

Default Pleasant surprise -- Doom 3 Performance

I'd have to say this is completely unexpected, but even my crap GFX 5600
plays Doom 3 like a bat outta' hell on High Quality settings! Well
maybe not a bat out of hell, but certainly very smooth and much better
than I ever expected.

Up until now, and from experience with the alpha, I had thought a low
end GFX card would be up the creek in Doom 3, but apparently not. The
engine is much faster and more highly optimized than I could ever dreamed.

I'd have to say anything from a GFX 5500 on up, or maybe a good
overclocked 5200 Ultra will do extremely well. 5700's are sitting very
nicely currently. The FX's aren't so bad after all.
Old August 4th 04, 02:19 AM
Granulated

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 15:58:20 -0500 deimos meeped :

I'd have to say this is completely unexpected, but even my crap GFX 5600
plays Doom 3 like a bat outta' hell on High Quality settings! Well
maybe not a bat out of hell, but certainly very smooth and much better
than I ever expected.

Up until now, and from experience with the alpha, I had thought a low
end GFX card would be up the creek in Doom 3, but apparently not. The
engine is much faster and more highly optimized than I could ever dreamed.

I'd have to say anything from a GFX 5500 on up, or maybe a good
overclocked 5200 Ultra will do extremely well. 5700's are sitting very
nicely currently. The FX's aren't so bad after all.

let me know if it's still smooth with no occasional slideshows when you get to
"Alpha Labs section one"
(basically the 3rd major section)

--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Old August 4th 04, 11:13 AM
JS

deimos wrote in
:

I'd have to say this is completely unexpected, but even my crap GFX
5600 plays Doom 3 like a bat outta' hell on High Quality settings!
Well maybe not a bat out of hell, but certainly very smooth and much
better than I ever expected.

Up until now, and from experience with the alpha, I had thought a low
end GFX card would be up the creek in Doom 3, but apparently not. The
engine is much faster and more highly optimized than I could ever
dreamed.

I'd have to say anything from a GFX 5500 on up, or maybe a good
overclocked 5200 Ultra will do extremely well. 5700's are sitting
very nicely currently. The FX's aren't so bad after all.

What CPU are you running?
Old August 4th 04, 02:41 PM
Eric

Posts like this are meaningless without the following information:

1. your machine specs (including driver used for vid card)
2. your game settings (including resolution, advanced settings, etc.)

3. Results in timedemo demo1

Old August 4th 04, 04:39 PM
Granulated

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 01:19:50 GMT Granulated
meeped :

let me know if it's still smooth with no occasional slideshows when you get to
"Alpha Labs section one"
(basically the 3rd major section)

--

ahh I fixed the problem by disabling AF
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Old August 5th 04, 06:29 AM
deimos

Granulated wrote:
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 15:58:20 -0500 deimos meeped :

I'd have to say this is completely unexpected, but even my crap GFX 5600
plays Doom 3 like a bat outta' hell on High Quality settings! Well
maybe not a bat out of hell, but certainly very smooth and much better
than I ever expected.

Up until now, and from experience with the alpha, I had thought a low
end GFX card would be up the creek in Doom 3, but apparently not. The
engine is much faster and more highly optimized than I could ever dreamed.

I'd have to say anything from a GFX 5500 on up, or maybe a good
overclocked 5200 Ultra will do extremely well. 5700's are sitting very
nicely currently. The FX's aren't so bad after all.

let me know if it's still smooth with no occasional slideshows when you get to
"Alpha Labs section one"
(basically the 3rd major section)

Yep. I beat it last night. Even during the Guardian and Cyberdemon
fights, not even a hiccup. I was surprised.

While the framerate is not all that high, it stays consistent and
doesn't have wild variations even during intense battles. I do notice a
drop when I get hit direct in the face with like a Cacodemon fireball or
Imp (the shader heat-wave effect).

Old August 5th 04, 06:29 AM
deimos

JS wrote:

deimos wrote in
:

I'd have to say this is completely unexpected, but even my crap GFX
5600 plays Doom 3 like a bat outta' hell on High Quality settings!
Well maybe not a bat out of hell, but certainly very smooth and much
better than I ever expected.

Up until now, and from experience with the alpha, I had thought a low
end GFX card would be up the creek in Doom 3, but apparently not. The
engine is much faster and more highly optimized than I could ever
dreamed.

I'd have to say anything from a GFX 5500 on up, or maybe a good
overclocked 5200 Ultra will do extremely well. 5700's are sitting
very nicely currently. The FX's aren't so bad after all.

What CPU are you running?

XP 2500+ "Barton"
Old August 5th 04, 06:34 AM
deimos

"deimos" wrote in message

I'd have to say this is completely unexpected, but even my crap GFX 5600
plays Doom 3 like a bat outta' hell on High Quality settings! Well
maybe not a bat out of hell, but certainly very smooth and much better
than I ever expected.

Up until now, and from experience with the alpha, I had thought a low
end GFX card would be up the creek in Doom 3, but apparently not. The
engine is much faster and more highly optimized than I could ever dreamed.

I'd have to say anything from a GFX 5500 on up, or maybe a good
overclocked 5200 Ultra will do extremely well. 5700's are sitting very
nicely currently. The FX's aren't so bad after all.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Leadtek K7NCR18D-Pro NForce 2 400
512MB PC2700 DDR
Geforce FX 5600 w/ 256MB RAM
Windows XP SP1
Forceware 61.77

800x600x32 at High Quality ingame
No AA, no AF, Tri and AF optimizations disabled
All advanced options on (spec, shadows, vsync, etc)

No timedemos as of yet, only general observations and gameplay
experience. I'm sure the average framerate would not be all that great
(maybe 30-ish overall), but the experience is more important.