Ti4200 broken?

Old February 22nd 04, 08:15 PM
reg

Default Ti4200 broken?

I have a Ti4200 card which seems to have a major problem. It works fine when
displaying the desktop, but whenever it is called upon to display 3d (games)
the display either freezes immediately or sections of the graphics are not
displayed, with funny stripes where textures should be.

I have run DXdiag which reports no problem, reinstalled my Nvidia drivers,
reinstalled Direct X 9.0b and reinstalled my FPS games, all with no luck. I
have installed the Nvidia drivers which were rock solid previously, to no
avail.

I have physically reinstalled the graphics card and checked all my drivers
for errors, again with no luck. When I run 3DMark 2001 I either get no
display, or again immediately frozen graphics with corruption.

Is there any test I can do to find out if my card has bitten the dust? Any
benchmarking or software that will test my graphics card and tell me if
there are problems? I don't want to buy a new card to find I have the same
problems, but I have run out of solutions.

Is it possible for my desktop and day to day applications to display
correctly, even when my card has turned up its toes for games playing?

I have just run 3DMark right through and get the following results:-

1.Car drive - freezes or corrupted graphics
2.Dragon - freezes or corrupted graphics, apart from slow pan of the city
which is smooth.
3. Lobby - both freeze or miss graphics, but sideways running works
4.Nature - freezes or missing graphics
5.fill rate - single texturing - works
6.fill rate - multi texturing - works
7.High polygon count - works
8.High polygon count (8 lights) - works
9.Environment bump mapping - works
10.DOT 3 bump mapping - freezes
11.Vertex shader - works
12.Pixel shader - works
13.Advanced pixel shader - freezes
14.Point sprites - works

I get a 3DMark of 799 instead of my usual 7100. What I am asking is, is it
possible for a card to produce these results, yet still be physically
damaged, or am I still trying to locate a software fault?

Machine specs - AMD Duron 1.3, 1GB SDRAM, QDI Mobo K7V8363 Kinetiz 7B, 20GB
& 40gb HD, PNY GeForce 4 Ti4200. Windows XP Home Edition 2002 & SP 1, Direct
X 9.0b, Nvidia 53.03

Many thanks

Old February 22nd 04, 09:00 PM
Mark A

"reg" wrote in message
[...]

The GeoForce4 cards only support DirectX 8. The FX-5xxx cards support
DirectX 9.

Old February 22nd 04, 09:38 PM
reg

"Mark A" wrote in message
"reg" wrote in message

The GeoForce4 cards only support DirectX 8. The FX-5xxx cards support
DirectX 9.

Thanks - so where does that put me? Do I have to try and unistall DX9 (which
installed itself with a games demo?) Or is the card werecked?

Old February 22nd 04, 10:07 PM
dude

"reg" wrote in message

| "Mark A" wrote in message
| "reg" wrote in message
|
| The GeoForce4 cards only support DirectX 8. The FX-5xxx cards support
| DirectX 9.
|
| Thanks - so where does that put me? Do I have to try and unistall DX9
(which
| installed itself with a games demo?) Or is the card werecked?

dx9 has dx8 support

Old February 22nd 04, 10:15 PM
reg

"dude" wrote in message ...

"reg" wrote in message

| "Mark A" wrote in message
| "reg" wrote in message
|
| The GeoForce4 cards only support DirectX 8. The FX-5xxx cards support
| DirectX 9.
|
| Thanks - so where does that put me? Do I have to try and unistall DX9
(which
| installed itself with a games demo?) Or is the card werecked?

dx9 has dx8 support

Thanks for that-just been checking frantically through my PC mags and just
read that. So, whaddya reckon? Is the card busted?

Old February 22nd 04, 10:37 PM
Robert Gault

reg wrote:

I have a Ti4200 card which seems to have a major problem. It works fine when
displaying the desktop, but whenever it is called upon to display 3d (games)
the display either freezes immediately or sections of the graphics are not
displayed, with funny stripes where textures should be.

I have run DXdiag which reports no problem, reinstalled my Nvidia drivers,
reinstalled Direct X 9.0b and reinstalled my FPS games, all with no luck. I
have installed the Nvidia drivers which were rock solid previously, to no
avail.
snip
Machine specs - AMD Duron 1.3, 1GB SDRAM, QDI Mobo K7V8363 Kinetiz 7B, 20GB
& 40gb HD, PNY GeForce 4 Ti4200. Windows XP Home Edition 2002 & SP 1, Direct
X 9.0b, Nvidia 53.03

You might want to try the nVidia 45.23 drivers. The 53.04 did not work
as well with my Ti-4200 as the older set. DirectX 9.0b is not an issue.

If you search the internet for Powerstrip, download, and install it, you
can get detailled information on your video card from the
Options/AdapterInformation utility. This will tell you whether you have
assigned an IRQ for the card, whether the AGP system is engaged, and
what the Ti-4200 clock settings are. You do need to assign an IRQ to the
card from the BIOS for this card.

Chances are good that the card has been damaged perhaps by overclocking.

Old February 22nd 04, 11:03 PM
Flow

"reg" schreef in bericht

"dude" wrote in message ...

"reg" wrote in message

| "Mark A" wrote in message
| "reg" wrote in message
|
| The GeoForce4 cards only support DirectX 8. The FX-5xxx cards

support
| DirectX 9.
|
| Thanks - so where does that put me? Do I have to try and unistall DX9
(which
| installed itself with a games demo?) Or is the card werecked?

dx9 has dx8 support

Thanks for that-just been checking frantically through my PC mags and just
read that. So, whaddya reckon? Is the card busted?

Yes,looks that way to me.Don't worry about dx9,it works with your card.
The stripes you describe could mean damaged memory on the card,this explains
the freezes in the gametests.
I know someone who had those stripes with his ti4800 and it was broke.
Go here for some benchmarks and testing progs for your vidcard
http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_cpu.html

Old February 23rd 04, 12:05 AM
DaveW

You're using a driver that is unstable with that older card. Try using the
45.23 driver with that card for stability in 3D games.

--
DaveW

Old February 23rd 04, 01:14 AM
Rusty Smith

Pull the card and look for swollen capacitors. It sounds like a capacitor
is leaking.
If this card was purchased a year to two years ago it is likely that bad
capacitors were unknowingly put on the card as there was a bad batch
produced from one of the major manufactures of capacitors in Taiwan about
this time. We had a Gainward TI4200 which was RMA'ed as a result of this
problem.

Old February 23rd 04, 01:17 AM
Rusty Smith

For the TI4200 use the 56.55 drivers from Gainward. The driver is a early
release from Nvidia and produces excellent results both in graphic quality
and speed.