Goodbye NVIDIA!!!

Old February 16th 04, 04:38 PM
D.L.

Default Goodbye NVIDIA!!!

Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them on,
the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way, the
part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on high
contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The ghosting
is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so bad.
It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.

Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and drop
the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like this
has such poor output.

Old February 16th 04, 05:52 PM
Courseyauto

ATI deserves you..............
Old February 16th 04, 06:13 PM
Mangyrat

like what was said stay away from the SE cards either nvida or ati they are
not that great of a card for games but thatd dont explane why you had the
txt problem on high contrast areas.
and the ATI group will welcome you.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

Old February 16th 04, 06:39 PM
J. Clarke

D.L. wrote:

[...]

Just don't buy an off-brand ATI or you'll be back in the same boat.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old February 16th 04, 07:12 PM
BelaLvgosi

"Courseyauto" wrote in message
ATI deserves you..............

5900's need a powerfull processor to be fed, if that's your case. On a xt
test I've seen, it was compared the same card on a 1333tb and a barton 2500+
(wich ain't that leap of a processor), for what I remember, in dx8@1024 the
no AA's or aniso the difference was 85% more fps!!! On my tb1333 from a
ti4200 to a 5900 "se", as this model doesn't even exist, it's just a normal
5900 with cpu rated with the same 400mhz but only 700mhz mem instead of 850,
guess what, makes no difference. I gained 300 3dmarks, no big deal, wouldn't
even be worth the investment but should make some 6000 difference when my 64
parts arrive.

Old February 16th 04, 07:31 PM
raj

you should of known not to by a se, its not a gaming card!
hey dont put nvidia down jsut becuse you made a mistake and bought your self
a crappy card, read your details about your card then purchase it.

Old February 16th 04, 07:39 PM
John Lewis

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:38:28 -0600, "D.L."
wrote:

Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them on,
the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way, the
part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on high
contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The ghosting
is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so bad.
It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.

Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and drop
the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like this
has such poor output.

First mistake ---- you bought a PNY card (of any type). Cheesy vendor.
Hopeless RMA service, takes months. Poor quality parts, especially
capacitors. PNY lack of quality and support reported a nauseum on
this newsgroup for the past few months. Been asleep ???

Second mistake --- you did no research. I bought a second 5900
a few weeks ago. BFG5900/128 --- genuine nonXT, SE, SP
5900, including VIVO, DVI with all adapters and the full version
of Call of Duty for $175 (including shipping ) from Newegg.
Overclocks nicely to 475/925 and could go higher but I have
decided to limit the worst-case max GPU core-temp to just
over 70 degrees C. First-class video output up to max
1600x1200.
By the way, the very same BFG5900 was on the Sat. thru Tuesday
sale at Fry's for $199 about 2 weeks ago. I posted that information to
this newsgroup. You were asleep at the wheel, no doubt ?

Third mistake --- you exposed yourself on this newsgroup as either
a fool or a Troll.

Fourth mistake -- you should enjoy the once every 2 weeks update
of the Ati drivers. Seems as if the users function as the Ati QC
personnel. Peruse the ATi newsgroup and (for example) survey the
items broken in 4.2 that apparently used to work in previous releases.
Non-trivial too... several matching complaints from different users
with regard to BF1942 crash problems, which vanished when the
previous driver was re-installed.
Of course, the problem here might not be the driver itself, but
a faulty ATi update mechanism in the 4.2 release which did not
remove vestiges of the older driver. In either case, extremely
sloppy QC.............

John Lewis

Old February 16th 04, 08:04 PM
Stanlin877

Don't put Nvidia down? Didn't Nvidia make the crappy card? Why do u think
they made a crappy card? Why all the advertisment to lure buyers into buying
a crappy card?

Old February 16th 04, 08:24 PM
Dave

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:04:20 -0600, Stanlin877 wrote:

Don't put Nvidia down?

That's your choice.

Didn't Nvidia make the crappy card?

Um... nope. Nvidia make the chipset.

Why do u think they made a crappy card?

Why have cheap hardware? Why not make hardware at all one performance
level? Why not remove peoples choice?

Why all the advertisment to lure buyers into buying a crappy card?

Why read reviews?

Old February 16th 04, 10:42 PM
J. Clarke

Stanlin877 wrote:

Don't put Nvidia down?

Do what you want to.

Didn't Nvidia make the crappy card?

Why do you think it says "Verto" on the box? Maybe because "Verto" made the
board?

Why do u think
they made a crappy card?

You'll have to ask Verto.

Why all the advertisment to lure buyers into
buying a crappy card?

Does Verto advertise a lot? I hadn't noticed.

"D.L." wrote in message
[...]

News==---- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total

Privacy via Encryption =---