Early NV40 specs emerge

Old January 22nd 04, 09:46 PM
NV55

Default Early NV40 specs emerge

Credit goes to MuFu at The Beyond 3D Forum.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewto...asc&star t=60

quote:
Remember that it has 175 million transistors and nV have seen fit to
give it 50GB/sec+ memory bandwidth. Current rumours are that it can
work on 4 quads in certain situations. That would seem to suggest that
it's an 8x2/16x0 design (in the same way that NV35 can be thought of
as 4x2/8x0) and may have approximately twice the pixel throughput of
NV35, per clock. I've heard that PS performance is already well above
current parts, even on the A0 samples. VS shows less of an
improvement; maybe they have just incorporated a single, extra VS
unit.

They might ramp with A1; it's apparently not as clock-limited as they
thought it might have been.

MuFu.
Old January 22nd 04, 11:16 PM
John Reynolds

om...

-----
Remember that it has 175 million transistors and nV have seen fit to
give it 50GB/sec+ memory bandwidth. Current rumours are that it can
work on 4 quads in certain situations. That would seem to suggest that
it's an 8x2/16x0 design (in the same way that NV35 can be thought of
as 4x2/8x0) and may have approximately twice the pixel throughput of
NV35, per clock. I've heard that PS performance is already well above
current parts, even on the A0 samples. VS shows less of an
improvement; maybe they have just incorporated a single, extra VS
unit.

They might ramp with A1; it's apparently not as clock-limited as they
thought it might have been.

MuFu.

-----

A fill rate monster with massive bandwidth. . .someone wants the performance
crown back. I can't wait until these new chips are announced.

John

Old January 23rd 04, 12:22 AM
i'm_tired

John Reynolds wrote:
"NV55" wrote in message
om...

snip

A fill rate monster with massive bandwidth. . .someone wants the
performance
crown back. I can't wait until these new chips are announced.

In fact, it might be worth waiting for. Rumors are seldom accurate about
anything. Setting that aside, and considering that the 6-month product
cycle for both major manufacturers seems to be dead: Looking at current and
up-coming games (and also considering the HL2 delays and still a several
months away Doom3), those who chose to skip this generation of cards made
good decisions.

There isn't a game out there that can't be played on a TI-4200 with a good
processor behind it. In fact, the majority of titles available in retail
can be played at good resolutions with acceptable framerates with GeForce 3
class equipment. I suppose that no matter how long a person waits or how
soon they adopt the newest gear, there is always something faster, better,
and more feature-rich waiting just over the horizon.... At this juncture,
though, with the current video technology seeming to be aging towards a new
product cycle, and with delays keeping some of the
supposedly-hardware-intensive game titles out of consumer hands, I think
anyone with GeForce 4 class cards would probably find whatever is next to be
well worth waiting for instead of upgrading now.

Old January 23rd 04, 04:52 AM
Darthy

On 22 Jan 2004 13:46:54 -0800, (NV55) wrote:

Credit goes to MuFu at The Beyond 3D Forum.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewto...asc&star t=60

quote:
Remember that it has 175 million transistors and nV have seen fit to
give it 50GB/sec+ memory bandwidth. Current rumours are that it can
work on 4 quads in certain situations. That would seem to suggest that
it's an 8x2/16x0 design (in the same way that NV35 can be thought of
as 4x2/8x0) and may have approximately twice the pixel throughput of
NV35, per clock. I've heard that PS performance is already well above
current parts, even on the A0 samples. VS shows less of an
improvement; maybe they have just incorporated a single, extra VS
unit.

They might ramp with A1; it's apparently not as clock-limited as they
thought it might have been.

MuFu.

Until the NV40 sees the light of day, its just rumors and
speculation... much like the fx5800.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 23rd 04, 09:06 AM
v56k

NV55 wrote:

Credit goes to MuFu at The Beyond 3D Forum.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum

viewtopic.php?t=9879&postdays=0&postorder=asc&star t=60

quote:

Remember that it has 175 million transistors and nV have seen fit to
give it 50GB/sec+ memory bandwidth. Current rumours are that it can
work on 4 quads in certain situations. That would seem to suggest that
it's an 8x2/16x0 design (in the same way that NV35 can be thought of
as 4x2/8x0) and may have approximately twice the pixel throughput of
NV35, per clock. I've heard that PS performance is already well above
current parts, even on the A0 samples. VS shows less of an
improvement; maybe they have just incorporated a single, extra VS
unit.

They might ramp with A1; it's apparently not as clock-limited as they
thought it might have been.

MuFu.

Don't start getting your dicks out just yet - remember the hype on this NG
about the 5800.....
Old January 23rd 04, 05:58 PM
Dan

v56k wrote
Don't start getting your dicks out just yet - remember the hype on this NG
about the 5800.....

I agree. LOL. Remeber some speculation about how it was going to be able to
act like a second cpu in a computer. That never did happen!?!

Dan

Old January 23rd 04, 11:46 PM
Michael Clark

"i'm_tired" wrote:
At this juncture,
though, with the current video technology seeming to be aging towards a

new
product cycle, and with delays keeping some of the
supposedly-hardware-intensive game titles out of consumer hands, I think
anyone with GeForce 4 class cards would probably find whatever is next to

be
well worth waiting for instead of upgrading now.

I tend to agree. I have a 4200. While it's feeling a little dated, but it
plays games just fine. My worry is that even if NV40 comes out resonably
quickly, it will still take 3 months for its price to be reasonably
attainable. Which pushes my video card upgrade out ... what? .... 8-10
months? D3 and HL2 may have been out for 3 or 4 months, and I'll be itching
to play them. I doubt my TI4200 will be able to do those games justice.
And I have a P4 3.2 ghz.

Another question is: will NV40 be PCI Express only? AGP is being fazed out
you know... I don't want my $450 NV40 to require me to spend $150 on a new
MB.

We'll see -- I'm hold out *for now.*

Mike

Old January 24th 04, 12:22 AM
John Reynolds

"Michael Clark" wrote in message

"i'm_tired" wrote:
[...]

No way NV40 or R420 are going to PCI Express only. Why would either company
or their AIBs kill their potential market like that?

John

Old January 24th 04, 12:40 AM
Michael Clark

"John Reynolds" wrote:
No way NV40 or R420 are going to PCI Express only. Why would either
company or their AIBs kill their potential market like that?

John

That's what I tried to tell my friend. He seemed convinced that the
PCI Express backers will be putting pressure on the video card
manufacturers to use the their latest chipsets to push people into
upgrading to PCI Express.

I tend to agree with you though :-)

Old January 24th 04, 12:54 AM
John Reynolds

"John Reynolds" wrote:
No way NV40 or R420 are going to PCI Express only. Why would either
company or their AIBs kill their potential market like that?

John

That's what I tried to tell my friend. He seemed convinced that the
PCI Express backers will be putting pressure on the video card
manufacturers to use the their latest chipsets to push people into
upgrading to PCI Express.

I tend to agree with you though :-)

Way too large an installed base of AGP motherboards out there. When is
Grantsdale now due out? There will be Express boards from both companies,
either supported natively or through a bridge chip.

John