Question about Ti4200 benchmarks.

Old January 12th 04, 01:12 AM
archagon

Default Question about Ti4200 benchmarks.

Hello! I'm a bit worried about my Gf4 Ti4200 64MB benchmarks. I'm
getting 10700, but the average is supposedly anywhere from 12000-13000
from what I've seen. I'm using 3dMark 2001SE and the following config:
P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, Albatron motherboard. My motherboard, CPU, and
video drivers are up to date. The problem is that I'm planning to
upgrade to a high-end ATI card soon, but I'm worried that something
will deter its performance as well.

So the question is, what are the REAL average benchmarks? Do my
benchmarks fit into that area? And is there any way I can perhaps
improve performance? (my CPU currently runs at 117.5 degrees F - if
that's too hot, how can I make it cooler?)

Thanks in advance.
Old January 12th 04, 02:45 AM
Yeremein

Hello! I'm a bit worried about my Gf4 Ti4200 64MB benchmarks. I'm
getting 10700, but the average is supposedly anywhere from 12000-13000
from what I've seen. I'm using 3dMark 2001SE and the following config:
P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, Albatron motherboard.

Hm. My XP2500+/Ti4200 scores just over 11k stock. Even still, it's not
a huge difference we're talking about here. I'd just make sure there
isn't a bunch of junk running in the background (media player tray
icons, IM programs, and the like).

From my experience, 3DMark benchmarks seem to be skewed upward by
overclockers and tweakers. For all I know, the people getting high
scores are using ridiculously high LOD bias settings (I set mine up to
+12 using RivaTuner once--it was hilarious; nothing was textured--the
matrix guy's head looked like a yellow grape wearing glasses).

Old January 12th 04, 05:34 AM
Mr. Green

Processor temp is definitely okay if you're using a stock heatsink. I would
have been lucky to get my AthlonXP to idle that cool until I got a
ThermalTake Volcano for K7.

I'd reccomend a different heatsink if you're worried.

om...

Old January 12th 04, 08:37 AM
Alan

"archagon" wrote in message
om...
Hello! I'm a bit worried about my Gf4 Ti4200 64MB benchmarks. I'm
getting 10700, but the average is supposedly anywhere from 12000-13000
from what I've seen. I'm using 3dMark 2001SE and the following config:
P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, Albatron motherboard. My motherboard, CPU, and
video drivers are up to date. The problem is that I'm planning to
upgrade to a high-end ATI card soon, but I'm worried that something
will deter its performance as well.

best way to see what is limiting your score is to run the test at 1024x768
and note down the score
then repeat the test in 640x480. if the lower resolution produces a
substantially higher score then your benchmark is graphics card limited and
fitting a new graphics card will improove performance. if however the score
stays the same then the score/performance is limited by some other weakest
link in your system. this could be ram or processor speed.
if thats the case youd see more benefit from upgrading whatever was holding
you back
hope this helps

alan

Old January 12th 04, 11:27 PM
archagon

"Alan" wrote in message ...
"archagon" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Went from 10700 to 13443.
So I'm fine then?
Old January 13th 04, 11:56 PM
archagon

zmike6 wrote in message . ..
On 11 Jan 2004 17:12:33 -0800, (archagon) wrote:

Hello! I'm a bit worried about my Gf4 Ti4200 64MB benchmarks. I'm
getting 10700, but the average is supposedly anywhere from 12000-13000
from what I've seen. I'm using 3dMark 2001SE and the following config:
P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, Albatron motherboard. My motherboard, CPU, and
video drivers are up to date. The problem is that I'm planning to
upgrade to a high-end ATI card soon, but I'm worried that something
will deter its performance as well.

So the question is, what are the REAL average benchmarks? Do my
benchmarks fit into that area? And is there any way I can perhaps
improve performance? (my CPU currently runs at 117.5 degrees F - if
that's too hot, how can I make it cooler?)

Thanks in advance.

I have a similar basic "problem" with a Ti4200 (128 MB version, which
has slower video RAM) running on an AMD 2600+ AthlonXP, I "only" get
about 10300. If I overclock I can gain a few hundred points but my
4200 overclocks really badly and shows corresponding artifacts. As
best I can tell, my memory bandwidth is hurting me as my motherboard
only supports 133 FSB. Folks with similar systems and 166 FSB seem to
have about a 1000 point jump on me. Of course it could be something
else too. But you are not alone in wondering where that extra
500-1000 points that "should be there" are hiding.

Goody that I'm not alone. However, my FSB I think is...lessee...800
So that can't be it.
Old January 18th 04, 08:15 AM
~misfit~

Yeremein wrote:
Hello! I'm a bit worried about my Gf4 Ti4200 64MB benchmarks. I'm
getting 10700, but the average is supposedly anywhere from
12000-13000 from what I've seen. I'm using 3dMark 2001SE and the
following config: P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, Albatron motherboard.

Hm. My XP2500+/Ti4200 scores just over 11k stock. Even still, it's
not a huge difference we're talking about here. I'd just make sure
there isn't a bunch of junk running in the background (media player
tray icons, IM programs, and the like).

From my experience, 3DMark benchmarks seem to be skewed upward by
overclockers and tweakers. For all I know, the people getting high
scores are using ridiculously high LOD bias settings (I set mine up to
+12 using RivaTuner once--it was hilarious; nothing was textured--the
matrix guy's head looked like a yellow grape wearing glasses).

11,985 here. ti4200/128MB, XP1800+ O/Ced to 2.1GHz. Graphics card not O/Ced.
--
~misfit~

Old January 18th 04, 08:20 AM
Karpanta

Version of detonator drivers is very important.

AMD TB XP 2600+/GF4 4200 64 without overclocking

53.03 --- 10400
43.02 --- 11500

"~misfit~" escribió en el mensaje
Yeremein wrote:
Hello! I'm a bit worried about my Gf4 Ti4200 64MB benchmarks. I'm
getting 10700, but the average is supposedly anywhere from
12000-13000 from what I've seen. I'm using 3dMark 2001SE and the
following config: P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, Albatron motherboard.

Hm. My XP2500+/Ti4200 scores just over 11k stock. Even still, it's
not a huge difference we're talking about here. I'd just make sure
there isn't a bunch of junk running in the background (media player
tray icons, IM programs, and the like).

From my experience, 3DMark benchmarks seem to be skewed upward by