Turn your FX5900 into a full FX5950

Old January 10th 04, 12:17 AM
ntl: Victim

Default Turn your FX5900 into a full FX5950

For those of you interested you may want to read this
http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/show...&threadid=3766

Old January 10th 04, 12:51 AM
ntl: Victim

Small addition, I haven't had much luck in downloading the bios yet and
since Gainward don't allow you to download them directly, you have to use
the expert tool of which only allows you to get the bios specific to your
card, I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has a 1800XP golden
sample if they would be so kind as to upload it somewhere and post a link to
it...

TIA
N.V.

is a dead address, no emails
sent to this address can ever be retrived......

Old January 10th 04, 02:01 AM
Armando Arroyo

I have the Leadtek bios and worked just great in my MSI GeForce FX 5900,
five hours of gaming and the temp is around 49 celsius

--
Greetings,
Armando Arroyo

Intel P4 - 2.60Ghz HTT, 1.0Gb DDR400 Kingston
MSI Neo2 875FIS2R Mobo, MSI GeForce FX 5900,
SB Audigy, HD 80Gb UATA133, Windows XP SP1

Old January 10th 04, 02:28 AM
f00ge

Yeah, same here.
Need that BIOS, too.

Old January 10th 04, 07:58 AM
ntl: Victim

News

I've managed to find a download link to the BIOS file for the Gainward FX
1800XP Ultra GS card. There are 2 possible files one ending in 400 & the
other ending in 300 I did assume that the 400 would be the newer so I
flashed with that one 1st but after an expert update check the 300 is listed
as the actual newer BIOS file created in December (2 months after the 400).

The link is below:

http://driver.gainward.com.tw/Lan/Nv...a/5950e300.zip

It all appears to be working okay so far, Temps are the same as they were
when running with the original BIOS maxing out at 67 deg Celsius when
clocked at 500MHz Core / 1GHz Memory.

"f00ge" wrote in message
k...
Yeah, same here.
Need that BIOS, too.

Old January 10th 04, 11:00 AM
NeonShark

Does anyone have a eVGA FX5950U bios?

Old January 10th 04, 12:06 PM

Just flashed my Leadtek A350 TDH LX and it is now showing as a A380 5950
ultra. Ran 3dmark03 and score jumped from 5100 to 5800. No problems running
same temps as before.

This is how I did it.......

1 download A380 bios file from leadtek.com.
2 Extract all files and then rename file A380u_2987.rom to A380u.rom
3 Make a floppy boot disk and then send all extracted files to this disk (
a380u.rom,wfflash.exe)
4 Reboot with floppy in.
5 At A: prompt write: wfflash.exe nm a380u.rom
6 when your card is flashed reboot

Worked for me.

---

Old January 10th 04, 01:42 PM

Ive also got a leadtek A350 TDH LX card.

Surely this cant work? Hasnt the 5950 Ultra got way faster memory and
gpu than our 5900?

Also if the update dosent work, will i be left with a knackered card?

Really want to try this but it scares me to death that i may ruin a
newish card!!

regards

paul

Old January 10th 04, 03:45 PM

ok,

just done the update and it worked, windows redetected the card as
well.

My benchmark score is only 10500, no different than before the update.

My other system spec is

athlon xp 2400+
512mb ddr pc2100 ram
160gb hdd
liteon 8x dvd writer
liteon 48x cd writer
elite k7s5a motherboard ( 4xAGP )

Using driver version 45.23 i think

Should i install the latest drivers?

regards

paul

---

Old January 10th 04, 04:23 PM

Further to my previous post I have installed the latest drivers from
nvidia website and ran 3dmark03. I got 5166. Is this a decent score
for a 5950 ultra? Bear in mind my system spec xp2400+, 512mb pc2100,
k7s5a mobo that only supports 4x agp.

Also forgot to say before my soundcard is an audigy 2 zs.

Is there any way to check that the card has indeed been turned into a
5950 ultra? What should the memory speeds be for a 5950 ultra compared
to the leadtek A350 TDH LX that it was before? What utils arethere to
check the memory and core speed.

Will the memory still be running at the slower 2.8ns or will it now be
2.2ns?

It could be that this update process just fools the pc into thinking
its the better card and nothing more?

regards

paul

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:45:04 +0000, wrote:

ok,

just done the update and it worked, windows redetected the card as
well.

My benchmark score is only 10500, no different than before the update.

My other system spec is

athlon xp 2400+
512mb ddr pc2100 ram
160gb hdd