Wich brand is the best for the FX5900? (not the 5950)

Old December 20th 03, 10:42 PM
Gabriele Jadanza

Default Wich brand is the best for the FX5900? (not the 5950)

I'm about to upgrade my videocard, actually i have an Abit Siluro TI 4200 8X
AGP 128MB DDR Ram w/OTES, and i was thinking about an FX 5900 128 MB (the
256MB is too expensive). My budget is between 180$ to 230$ (max. only if is
worth to pay the that differnce). I also would like to have like my actual
video card a TV out w/ cables and i'm looking for a retail box only. I think
the Abit is working very good, the only problem is the OTES system that
actually is VERY noisy.
Any advice would be appreciated very much.

--

Gabriele Jadanza

Old December 20th 03, 10:48 PM
Kokoro

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Gabriele Jadanza ordered an army
of hamsters to type:

I'm about to upgrade my videocard, actually i have an Abit Siluro TI
4200 8X AGP 128MB DDR Ram w/OTES, and i was thinking about an FX 5900
128 MB (the 256MB is too expensive). My budget is between 180$ to 230$
(max. only if is worth to pay the that differnce). I also would like
to have like my actual video card a TV out w/ cables and i'm looking
for a retail box only. I think the Abit is working very good, the only
problem is the OTES system that actually is VERY noisy.
Any advice would be appreciated very much.

Abits OTES system isnt that noisy at all, or at least the one on my FX5800
isnt..yet. Will the fans that Abit are using eventually start to make
grinding noises?

In this group many have said that MSI cards are the best if noise is a
problem. I'd recommend getting the best MSI card you can afford.

Happy Gaming
Old December 20th 03, 10:55 PM
Steve

I got a Gainward 5900 with the 2.2nsec memory from Newegg for $229 two weeks
ago. Clocks to 460/950 perfectly stable.

Old December 21st 03, 01:35 AM
papasurf

"Steve" wrote in message
gy.com...
[...]

http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/54/

Gainward reviewed here.

---

Old December 21st 03, 01:39 AM
papasurf

"papasurf" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
gy.com...
[...]

Careful; Newegg has two Gainwards at $229...get the dual fan one as it has
faster ram if you do buy one of these.

---

Old December 21st 03, 09:20 AM
Darthy

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:42:46 GMT, "Gabriele Jadanza"
wrote:

I'm about to upgrade my videocard, actually i have an Abit Siluro TI 4200 8X
AGP 128MB DDR Ram w/OTES, and i was thinking about an FX 5900 128 MB (the
256MB is too expensive). My budget is between 180$ to 230$ (max. only if is
worth to pay the that differnce). I also would like to have like my actual
video card a TV out w/ cables and i'm looking for a retail box only. I think
the Abit is working very good, the only problem is the OTES system that
actually is VERY noisy.
Any advice would be appreciated very much.

MSI hands down...

My Ti4200 wasn't bad... the revised model was improved (better
cooling, so slower dan) and the 5900/Ultra afriend has is pretty much
SILENT!! Advertising 28db on the box. It has the oddest HeatSink
design BUT IT WORKS!!

The box it comes with is HUGE...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old December 24th 03, 08:20 AM
Dodge Tom

At Fry's tonight I almost picked ATI Radeon 9600XT for $199.99, and looked
at its big brother 9800 which costs $249.99....and the 5900 is right in
middle of both ATI with a price you couldn't INGORE! So I got BFG FX5900
128mb for $199.99 and man its WORTH my money!

Old December 25th 03, 12:23 PM
Darthy

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 07:20:08 GMT, "Dodge Tom"
wrote:

At Fry's tonight I almost picked ATI Radeon 9600XT for $199.99, and looked
at its big brother 9800 which costs $249.99....and the 5900 is right in
middle of both ATI with a price you couldn't INGORE! So I got BFG FX5900
128mb for $199.99 and man its WORTH my money!

The 5900 and 9800 are neck and neck... varies between games... but
$200 vs $250 - I'd get the 5900 over the 9800 too. Great price for
OFF the shelf!!

If Nvidia had half a brain, there NEVER would have been a 5700
series... why bother? Just sell the 5600Ultra for $125.~150...
confusion is business I guess.

Old December 26th 03, 09:29 AM
Dodge Tom

When the FX5700 Ultra came out, I jumped at teh chance to grab this but
after some research that despite the fact it has DDR II,this just only do
14.4GB/sec. memory bandwidth while my BFG 5600 Ultra can do 12.8GB/sec.
memory bandwidth?!? The 5900 (yawn) can do 27.2GB/sec. memory bandwidth !

So I didn't buy FX5700 and the price on 5900 came down... the rest is
history. I'm glad I didn't BUY 5700 Ultra!