Again... :-( What to buy: FX5900 or 5700/5800 Ultra?

Old November 30th 03, 11:24 AM
Luke Piasecki

Default Again... :-( What to buy: FX5900 or 5700/5800 Ultra?

Totally confused and NVidia site makes it even worse...
ok.. first of all what is the difference between 5900, 5700 and 5700 Ultra?
5700 Ultra seems to be the same price as 5900..., makes it even more
confusing :-(((
Secondly, is there 5800 ? I see it on eBay, but Nvidia site doesn't list
it....
Crap, do they always have to f**ck up the naming so badly...?

Old November 30th 03, 05:28 PM
Ook

They really hosed the naming, have't they? I understood GF1, GF2, GF3, etc.
But WTF is up with 5600,5800,5900...More importantly, what difference will
it make for us using them?

le.rogers.com...

Old November 30th 03, 05:50 PM
Dark Avenger

"Luke Piasecki" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
Totally confused and NVidia site makes it even worse...
ok.. first of all what is the difference between 5900, 5700 and 5700 Ultra?
5700 Ultra seems to be the same price as 5900..., makes it even more
confusing :-(((
Secondly, is there 5800 ? I see it on eBay, but Nvidia site doesn't list
it....
Crap, do they always have to f**ck up the naming so badly...?

The FX5800 is the "old" 5900, its a nice card but ... design base it's
a bad card! And it's limited in performance

The FX5900 Non Ultra is a fast card... a very fast nice card :-)

The FX5700 Ultra is a budget fast card! It's build to be payable for
many people that don't want real budget material ( that is the FX5200
) yet want a nice fast card!

The FX5700 is the "new" FX5600, the FX5600 is a failed product, just
like the FX5800... muchos design failures.

So simple said the FX5700 Ultra and the FX5900 Non Ultra are both very
nice fast cards and a good choice to buy! Just **** the rest, ....
Ofcourse a FX5950 Ultra is even nice to have!
Old December 1st 03, 05:19 PM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:33:25 -0700
"Ook" wrote:

It's been that way for a long time. ATI drivers have sucked for years.
They seemed to have improved for a while, but it seems they are going
downhill again.

nVidia, OTOH, have had excellent drivers. There was a period of time
where they were a bit shaky, back with the 7.x up to about 12.x or so,
but they stabalized again. They have been rock solid for a very long
time.

Then why all the complaints in this newsgroup?

5900....$200....hmm...drool.......

"DaveL" wrote in message
Dammit Lenny. You again? Do you work for ATI? Anytime somebody
says anything that is a little critical of your worship you have to
crawl out from under your rock. I know usenet is used for getting
help. But I CAN make an observation that the ATI ng seems to have
a disproportionate

amount
of people needing help.

Dave

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old December 1st 03, 06:43 PM
DaveL

The pendulum has swung back in Nvidia's favor. The 5900 is currently the
best buy at about $200. And it is a relief to stay Nvidia as their drivers
are still far superior to ATI's. Need proof? Just look at these usenet
forums. The ATI ng is chock full of cries for help!

Dave

Old December 1st 03, 09:19 PM
Lenny

The pendulum has swung back in Nvidia's favor. The 5900 is currently the
best buy at about $200.

Nvidia's antialiasing, which is still completely unchanged since the GF3,
is still vastly inferior to ATi's gamma-corrected sparse non-uniformal MSAA.

And it is a relief to stay Nvidia as their drivers are still far superior

to ATI's.

Unfounded.

Need proof? Just look at these usenet
forums. The ATI ng is chock full of cries for help!

Hm, judging by this newsgroup, Nvidia sucks just as bad.

....Guess what, dude? Newsgroups and forums are USED for seeking help! That's
a surprise to nobody except you!

Old December 2nd 03, 11:56 AM
Lenny

nVidia, OTOH, have had excellent drivers.

They have been rock solid for a very long time.

I see the 30 series with the infinite loop debacle passed entirely over your
head completely unnoticed. Very strange, considering the amount of
complaints those drivers generated.

From the release notes of the latest driver version (52.16):

----- 8 ------
Clone mode may be set for the GeForce FX 5600 although only one display

is connected.

This setting causes a drop in the performance of 3D applications. The

workaround is to use the NVIDIA control panel to reset the system to

standard mode from clone mode.

GeForce FX 5950 Ultra: When 4x FSAA is enabled, half of the screen is

black in Tiger Woods 2004 introductory video.

GeForce4 MX 440 and GeForce4 Ti 4400, Windows XP: Blue-screen crash

during Battlefield 1942 Desert Combat.

A fix for this issue will be included in the next driver release.

GeForce FX 5950 Ultra: Homeworld2 antialiased performance is slow.

This is a known issue with the application. NVIDIA is working with the

developer to address it.

GeForce FX 5950 Ultra and GeForce4 Ti 4400, Windows XP: Rendering

corruption in Battlefield 1942 Desert Combat.

A fix for this issue will be included in the next driver release.

GeForce FX 5950 Ultra, Windows XP: "X2: The Threat" benchmark is

choppy or jerky in some places.

A fix for this issue will be included in the next driver release.

Windows XP: Antialiasing doesn't appear to be working in Final Fantasy XI

benchmark.

This is a known issue with the application. NVIDIA is working with the

developer to address it.

All GeForce FX: Intermittently, Warcraft III videos are not displayed

properly on some systems.

A fix for this issue will be included in the next driver release.

----- 8 ------

These are merely the bugs Nvidia *KNEW* about when they *released* the
driver! Rock solid my arse!

5900....$200....hmm...drool.......

I guess, if you enjoy the slow pixel shading performance and poor AA quality
of the GFFX series, that's an OK price to pay for a fundamentally flawed
product...

Old December 2nd 03, 05:25 PM
Dark Avenger

"DaveL" wrote in message ...
The pendulum has swung back in Nvidia's favor. The 5900 is currently the
best buy at about $200. And it is a relief to stay Nvidia as their drivers
are still far superior to ATI's. Need proof? Just look at these usenet
forums. The ATI ng is chock full of cries for help!

Dave

"Luke Piasecki" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Totally confused and NVidia site makes it even worse...
ok.. first of all what is the difference between 5900, 5700 and 5700

Ultra?
5700 Ultra seems to be the same price as 5900..., makes it even more
confusing :-(((
Secondly, is there 5800 ? I see it on eBay, but Nvidia site doesn't list
it....
Crap, do they always have to f**ck up the naming so badly...?

Maybe, the 5900 is a very fast good card and it's low price indeed
serves a good level. Very probable indeed beats the ATI cards in that
range!

But only with the nv40 vs r420 we know how the stakes lie in the
future!