Voodoo3 PCI vs. Winfast GeForce 2 MX

Old November 30th 03, 06:51 AM
graymatter

Default Voodoo3 PCI vs. Winfast GeForce 2 MX

I'm an Unreal Tournament fan, and yes - I have old video card issues. I had
a Voodoo 3 PCI card w/16Mb RAM on my P4 1.8Ghz that I just traded someone
for their Winfast GeForce2 MX AGP w/32Mb RAM, thinking it was the better
deal (all of my research seemed to indicate so.) Now that I've installed
the new card, I get terrible rendering (I can see through buildings at
times), no fog, no volumetric lighting, a much lower frame rate and yes - I
have the newest drivers and DirectX 9.0. Yes, I did run UT again and set it
up to use DirectX rendering. But it doesn't use Glide because its not a
3dfx card.

Is the GeForce a better card? Does it not support fog or volumetric
lighting? Can anyone make heads or tails of this?

PlasticMind

Old November 30th 03, 12:38 PM
Egil Solberg

"graymatter" wrote in message
I'm an Unreal Tournament fan, and yes - I have old video card issues. I

had
a Voodoo 3 PCI card w/16Mb RAM on my P4 1.8Ghz that I just traded someone
for their Winfast GeForce2 MX AGP w/32Mb RAM, thinking it was the better
deal (all of my research seemed to indicate so.) Now that I've installed
the new card, I get terrible rendering (I can see through buildings at
times), no fog, no volumetric lighting, a much lower frame rate and yes -

have the newest drivers and DirectX 9.0. Yes, I did run UT again and set

it
up to use DirectX rendering. But it doesn't use Glide because its not a
3dfx card.

Is the GeForce a better card? Does it not support fog or volumetric
lighting? Can anyone make heads or tails of this?

Try OpenGL. Get the OpenGLdrv.dll from Epic's site, not that one from the
CD.
I'd say that for UT, though, you would be much better off with the Voodoo3.

Old November 30th 03, 01:25 PM
graymatter

"Egil Solberg" wrote in message

[...]

Dang. Thanks for the info. I'm going to install it now. Preciate it.

JDG

Old November 30th 03, 01:50 PM
Egil Solberg

This guy seems to have made it easy. Haven't tried his method, though.

http://www.ajpgraphix.com/sw/utogl.asp

Old November 30th 03, 02:18 PM
Shepİ

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:25:05 GMT, My brain dual boots Concious and
Subconcious but I never had a choice but then "graymatter"
wrote :

[...]

Check for an openGL patch for UT.I had no problems running it on an
old G2 MX card which is more powerful than your VooDoo 3 PCI.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old December 1st 03, 05:13 AM
graymatter

wrote :

[...]

yeah... this seems to be the common consensus... i did get a patch and it
did seem to work fine (still tweaking some things)... but still no fog. am
i damned to this without a 3dfx card?

jdg

Old December 1st 03, 05:49 AM
phobos

wrote :

[...]

I had a chance to use a borrowed V3 3000 from my friend once when I
still had my GF2MX (original, not 200/400).

Under Direct3D, the MX was handily faster. OpenGL just looked damn
prettier, but I wouldn't hold a V3 up to that kinda scruitiny. But the
V3 under Glide felt very very smooth. Of course, despite an entire
engine rebuild somewhere around the 420 patch, UT was still highly
optimized for Glide (a subset of OpenGL). And of course, under OpenGL
there's no competition -- the V3's drivers, even the later hacked up
ones never had a chance, it was never designed with that in mind.

Old December 7th 03, 05:23 AM
Darthy

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 06:51:43 GMT, "graymatter" wrote:

I'm an Unreal Tournament fan, and yes - I have old video card issues. I had
a Voodoo 3 PCI card w/16Mb RAM on my P4 1.8Ghz that I just traded someone
for their Winfast GeForce2 MX AGP w/32Mb RAM, thinking it was the better
deal (all of my research seemed to indicate so.) Now that I've installed
the new card, I get terrible rendering (I can see through buildings at
times), no fog, no volumetric lighting, a much lower frame rate and yes - I
have the newest drivers and DirectX 9.0. Yes, I did run UT again and set it
up to use DirectX rendering. But it doesn't use Glide because its not a
3dfx card.

Is the GeForce a better card? Does it not support fog or volumetric
lighting? Can anyone make heads or tails of this?

GF2mx AGP is a bit faster than the Voodoo3 3000 (PCI / AGP - same
performance) PCI GeForce cards are slow...

But a PCI 5200 is a lot faster than the voodoo3 - but still considered
JUNK by todays standards. The 5200-PCI is about $75USD

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old December 7th 03, 05:30 AM
Darthy

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:49:44 -0600, phobos
wrote:

I had a chance to use a borrowed V3 3000 from my friend once when I
still had my GF2MX (original, not 200/400).

Under Direct3D, the MX was handily faster. OpenGL just looked damn
prettier, but I wouldn't hold a V3 up to that kinda scruitiny. But the
V3 under Glide felt very very smooth. Of course, despite an entire
engine rebuild somewhere around the 420 patch, UT was still highly
optimized for Glide (a subset of OpenGL). And of course, under OpenGL
there's no competition -- the V3's drivers, even the later hacked up
ones never had a chance, it was never designed with that in mind.

Hey, check out this site...

It tell you some changes you can make to UT's INI file for improving
DX to make it look as good as Voodoo3.

It makes a big difference in the game... Even the GF-FX looks just as
crappy as a GF2 with UT... compared to a Voodoo card.... until the
change is made.

http://ap.terrabox.com/ini.htm

It includes screen shots showings the obvious difference.

Here is the big difference:

http://ap.terrabox.com/sshots/shots2.htm