fan noise-replace fan or card??????

Old November 21st 03, 08:28 PM
Jeff burrell

Default fan noise-replace fan or card??????

I have a old gf3-ti200. The fan is making wining noise. Is it worth
replaceing the fan or should I get a new vid card. This card run's
everything I need it to just fine.

Thanks Jeff

Basic amd 1700+ not o/c
512 meg ram

Old November 21st 03, 10:14 PM
jeffc

"Jeff burrell" wrote in message
I have a old gf3-ti200. The fan is making wining noise. Is it worth
replaceing the fan or should I get a new vid card. This card run's
everything I need it to just fine.

I'd replace the fan - probably around $7.

Old November 22nd 03, 12:18 AM
John Lewis

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:14:34 -0500, "jeffc"
wrote:

"Jeff burrell" wrote in message
I have a old gf3-ti200. The fan is making wining noise. Is it worth
replaceing the fan or should I get a new vid card. This card run's
everything I need it to just fine.

I'd replace the fan - probably around $7.

Use some Triflow teflon lubricant ( Sherwin-Williams Co.).
Works wonders on noisy fans --- if the bearing wear has not
gone too far. If it does not work, replace the fan.........
In any case, throw away your WD-40 and oil-lubricants -
both get gummy with time.

John Lewis

Old November 22nd 03, 04:55 AM
jeffc

"John Lewis" wrote in message

Use some Triflow teflon lubricant ( Sherwin-Williams Co.).

I think they also sell little cans of that in bicycle shops.

Old November 22nd 03, 06:28 AM
John Lewis

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 04:55:41 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

"John Lewis" wrote in message

Use some Triflow teflon lubricant ( Sherwin-Williams Co.).

I think they also sell little cans of that in bicycle shops.

That is where I got mine................
Have used it on noisy PC fans for a very long time,
at least 10 years. Wonderful stuff. ( Unfortunately, it
does not quieten down squeaky wives, girlfriends,
or domestic partners..............)

Nothing like it for lasting effect............However,
if you begin to hear fan noise, don't delay applying
the lubricant, to minimise bearing wear. Triflow
does not replace worn metal............. !!

John Lewis

Old November 22nd 03, 06:48 AM
John Lewis

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:48:59 -0500, "Joe Hayes"
wrote:

Just use it without the fan connected. It will run just fine and not
overheat.

That is dangerous advice without any knowledge of the ambient
temperature and efficiency of the case air-flow at the component-side
of the video-card OP's PC. Remember that in a tower-case, the video
card is component-side down. Stagnant air-flow at the GPU may cause
thermal damage to the part; as the hot-air from the heat-sink rises
and surrounds the part, trapped from rising further by the video-card
ECB.

However, I have glued an auxiliary 12V fan to the edge of a video
card with the air-flow directed over the GPU heat-sink and memory
and used a 4-pin adapter to hook the fan up with the HD power
cables. No need for a power-adapter if the MB has unused fan
power-plugs. Should work just fine after removal of the original
GPU fan. New fan cost ~ $5........... I used toothpicks glued to
both board and fan to provide the mechanical support. Use
non-conductive glue, of course !!

John Lewis

Old November 22nd 03, 06:31 PM
Joe Hayes

wrote:

Just use it without the fan connected. It will run just fine and not
overheat.

That is dangerous advice without any knowledge of the ambient
temperature and efficiency of the case air-flow at the component-side
of the video-card OP's PC. Remember that in a tower-case, the video
card is component-side down. Stagnant air-flow at the GPU may cause
thermal damage to the part; as the hot-air from the heat-sink rises
and surrounds the part, trapped from rising further by the video-card
ECB.

Not really. I've used numerous nVidia cards from 440 MX to 5600 over the
years from eVGA, Visiontek, BFG, PNY all with the fan disconnected and I've
never once had an overheat, even with overclocking enabled. Of course this
is at normal room temperatures, not Saharan desert conditions, but I assume
the original poster isn't out in Africa somewhere. The heatsink fan is more
for upscale marketing than cooling. Clearly a passive heatsink is adequate.
The only card I've found thus far which overheats without the fan connected
is the 5700 Ultra. It starts stuttering and eventually locks up. This is
one hot chip because you can feel it. :-)

Old November 23rd 03, 10:02 AM
John Lewis

wrote:

[...]

You may want to look under the thread "Got a replacement PNY card"
at Paul Brown's posting. A friend of his had a PNY Ti4200 fail because
the fan had quit previously... he did not mention anything about the
PC being in the middle of the Sahara.

And the power-consumption of the high-end GPUs in both the Ati
and nVidia range is 60-70 watts max. About the same as a P4-2.6c !!
I have not seen any P4s recently without a substantial heat-sink
and mandatory fan..............

nVidia should have hired you as thermal consultant on the FX5800.
There would have been no vacuum-cleaner-sound complaints; the
complaints might have centered instead on fried lumps of very
expensive silicon............

John Lewis

Old November 24th 03, 06:05 PM
jeffc

"Joe Hayes" wrote in message
Just use it without the fan connected. It will run just fine and not
overheat.

Oh really? It's interesting that the manufacturer would go to the trouble
of wasting their money on a fan. Maybe it's just eye candy for consumers,
who knows......