FX Overclocking

Old November 15th 03, 03:39 PM
ART

Default FX Overclocking

I'm not an expert in video card but have tryed with Riva Tuner to overclock
my PNY FX 5800 .
Well , it works and gives me better frame rate and smoothness is FS 2004 .
My defaults settings give in 3D performance
Core Clock Freq = 400 MHZ---- OC 486 MHZ
Mem Clock Freq = 800 MHZ---- OC 973 MHZ

400/800 MHZ defaults set seem to be the original frequency of the card .
I would like to know from 5800/5800Ultra owners if these values are normal .

Thanks in advance

MIKE737

Old November 15th 03, 03:54 PM
Carl

ART wrote:
I'm not an expert in video card but have tryed with Riva Tuner to
overclock my PNY FX 5800 .
Well , it works and gives me better frame rate and smoothness is FS
2004 . My defaults settings give in 3D performance
Core Clock Freq = 400 MHZ---- OC 486 MHZ
Mem Clock Freq = 800 MHZ---- OC 973 MHZ

400/800 MHZ defaults set seem to be the original frequency of the
card .
I would like to know from 5800/5800Ultra owners if these values are
normal .

Thanks in advance

MIKE737

Mike, I have the Leadtek A300 FX5800 128mb ddr2.

Default Core on 3D setting is 400 and default Mem on 3D setting is 800. So
they are the same. I've o/c mine to 450/900 respectively without any
probs/artifacts. I use a PCI slot exhaust fan directly below the card
though.

I've heard on the net that these cards will push to 500/1000 without too
many probs and without any additional cooling. I have to say my card is
completely enshrouded in Leadtek's cooler and the twin turbo fans only come
on now and again during 3d intensive apps. Don't really want to push it too
far though.

~Carl

Old November 15th 03, 04:21 PM
ART

Carl
Thanks for your kind reply .
So these are the normal values of the FX5800 .

400 MHZ for the core clock sounds strange to me compare to a 325 MHZ of an
ATI 9700 Pro.

To be honest , I've just bought this car because of the price 174 EURO ( 205
USD ) wich was for me an interesting deal .

As you said , I won't push anymore the limit , I 'll stay with the values
486/973 maybe 450/900 .

So could we consider that our card performs as an 5800 Ultra does ? I it
does it's really an interesting deal , 5900 and 5900 ultra are still
expensive in my opinion .

Next card , maybe ATI..........

Regards
MIKE 737

Old November 15th 03, 04:32 PM
ART

BTW Carl , I run 52.16 nvidia driver

1280X1024X32 4XAA-8xAF
HP 18' Flat Panel
Hp 15' Flat Panel-Second monitor
Presario P4-1.9
512DDR
XP Home-SP1

Old November 16th 03, 03:05 PM
Carl

ART wrote:

So could we consider that our card performs as an 5800 Ultra does ? I
it does it's really an interesting deal , 5900 and 5900 ultra are
still expensive in my opinion .

Next card , maybe ATI..........

Regards
MIKE 737

Not sure about the performance comparisons. All I know is that the 5800 was
a bit of a flop but I only found this out after purchase. Look at Nvidias
webbie and you wont find any reference to the 5800 series cards.

With hindsight, I should have opted for the Ati card but I now wont be
upgrading for at least another year. My rig is a 2.4 P4 processor on an
Intel D845 chipset mobo. next year I'll be u/g to maybe even AMD but at
least a 3gig cpu or amd equivalent. Of course the mobo will be a 800mhz
upgrade or equivalent.

For now my 5800 plays BF1942 and DC mod at 4x AA and 2x AF without any
slowdown on multiplayer so I'm happy. But I still feel ripped off by
Nvidia's 5800 turkey. And I'm not a fanboy of either camp.

~Carl

Old November 16th 03, 04:51 PM
Nic

For now my 5800 plays BF1942 and DC mod at 4x AA and 2x AF without any
slowdown on multiplayer so I'm happy. But I still feel ripped off by
Nvidia's 5800 turkey. And I'm not a fanboy of either camp.

Why? its a fine card, it only sounds like an airport?

Old November 16th 03, 11:17 PM
John Lewis

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:39:54 -0000, "ART" wrote:

I'm not an expert in video card but have tryed with Riva Tuner to overclock
my PNY FX 5800 .
Well , it works and gives me better frame rate and smoothness is FS 2004 .
My defaults settings give in 3D performance
Core Clock Freq = 400 MHZ---- OC 486 MHZ
Mem Clock Freq = 800 MHZ---- OC 973 MHZ

400/800 MHZ defaults set seem to be the original frequency of the card .
I would like to know from 5800/5800Ultra owners if these values are normal .

Test with a wide range of material including high-res cut-scenes and
benchmarks, Aquamark3, SiSoft etc. The core overclock seems
reasonable, the memory may fail timing on some benchmarks and
high-res; most common symptom -- frozen graphics or spasmodic
graphic jerks.

Like one swallow not making Summer, one game does not
define overclock capability.

John Lewis

Thanks in advance

MIKE737

Old November 16th 03, 11:31 PM
John Lewis

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:05:57 -0000, "Carl" wrote:

ART wrote:

[...]

You could have waited for the 5900.

Almost before the 5800 shipped, it was known that it was going to be
an interim product.

John Lewis

~Carl