GeForce 3 and Halo for PC

Old November 8th 03, 01:58 AM
Buster Hyman

Default GeForce 3 and Halo for PC

I have installed the demo version of Halo on my sys but I keep getting the
error message " A problem occurred initializing direct3d. Hardware
acceleration may be disabled, run DXDIAG". I ran dxdiag, acceleration is
not disabled. The known issues in the read me file say that "
NVIDIA Video Cards and FSAA Modes: You may experience difficulties running
Halo using NVIDIA video cards in any of the FSAA modes. If you are having a
problem, you should disable the FSAA mode for the NVIDIA video card."

Can anyone tell me how to disable FSAA mode? And do you think this is the
problem. I'd really like to try Halo online, I've had it for XBOX since
day1. Thanks for your help.

Old November 8th 03, 02:46 AM
Buster Hyman

I found out how to disable AA but the thing still gives me that error
message. Any recommendations? Thanks

Old November 8th 03, 06:18 AM
Indiana

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 01:58:04 GMT, "Buster Hyman"
wrote:

I have installed the demo version of Halo on my sys but I keep getting the
error message " A problem occurred initializing direct3d. Hardware
acceleration may be disabled, run DXDIAG". I ran dxdiag, acceleration is
not disabled.

I ran into this particular problem because of the way I had locked out
many of the refresh rates on my system. Halo seems to want to display
it's initial bootup screen in 60Hz no matter what ven though the game
itself can run on higher rates once it's running. Once I put all
those refresh rates back into my registry, Halo was happy. Not sure
if this applies in your particular situation, but it spit out that
exact same error simply due to my personal refresh rate modifactions.
Clearly the game has pretty poor error reporting IMHO.

Old November 8th 03, 07:20 AM
Athura

I ran into the same problems until i added this switch to the end of the
shortcut properties -vidmode 1027,768,85
This forces the game to use the stated res and refresh rate

Old November 8th 03, 12:03 PM
Buster Hyman

Thanks for the quick response, I went into my monitor properties and set it
to back to 60, I had it set at 75. I still got the exact same message. Is
there a different way to do what you are describing below?

Old November 8th 03, 12:04 PM
Buster Hyman

Thanks for the help, can you tell me how to do what you describe?

Old November 8th 03, 08:47 PM
Athura

Find the Halo shortcut in the start menu or on the desktop, right click on
it and click properties. In the 'target' field, leave a space after the last
character thats in there already, then type in -vidmode then 1024,768,85 (as
an example) or what res and refresh rate you want it to run in.

Old November 10th 03, 01:27 AM
ntl: Victim

"Buster Hyman" wrote in message
I have installed the demo version of Halo on my sys but I keep getting the
error message " A problem occurred initializing direct3d. Hardware
acceleration may be disabled, run DXDIAG". I ran dxdiag, acceleration is
not disabled. The known issues in the read me file say that "
NVIDIA Video Cards and FSAA Modes: You may experience difficulties running
Halo using NVIDIA video cards in any of the FSAA modes. If you are having

problem, you should disable the FSAA mode for the NVIDIA video card."

Can anyone tell me how to disable FSAA mode? And do you think this is

the
problem. I'd really like to try Halo online, I've had it for XBOX since
day1. Thanks for your help.

Is it just me but I thought this game was a DirectX 9 game therefore you
wouldn't be able to run it on a GF3 in hardware accelerated mode???

Old November 10th 03, 09:14 AM
ntl: Victim

On 2003-11-10 01:27:07 GMT, ntl: Victim
wrote in :

Is it just me but I thought this game was a DirectX 9 game therefore you
wouldn't be able to run it on a GF3 in hardware accelerated mode???

I'm running it on a GF2 MX. Of course, it doesn't look much like
the screenshots you see, but it's not bad (though I think it's
a bit pathetic that I don't get shadows even as an option).

The game has renderers for DX9, DX8, DX7 (IIRC) and basic T&L cards,
so it doesn't require DX9 hardware.

-R.

I'm just slightly confused since the reviews I have read recently state that
the game was optimised for use with DirectX 9 and they didn't bother doing
and optimizations for the previous DirectX version meaning it would run like
a bag of ****e on anything less than a DirectX 9 compatible card e.g. Radeon
9800 etc...

I can only imagine that on you card it must look basically ****e, since it
is bloody awful on a FX5900U and a Radeon 9800Pro (Graphically even UT2003
looks so much better) to be honest I haven't even tried it on my lowly
backup PC's (P3-800 with GF4 Ti4600 or the P2-450 with GF2 GTS)

But hey if I'm wrong then I'm wrong....
NV

Old November 10th 03, 06:50 PM
John Lewis

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:14:26 -0000, "ntl: Victim"
wrote:

"ras2" wrote in message

I'm just slightly confused since the reviews I have read recently state that
the game was optimised for use with DirectX 9 and they didn't bother doing
and optimizations for the previous DirectX version meaning it would run like
a bag of ****e on anything less than a DirectX 9 compatible card e.g. Radeon
9800 etc...

I can only imagine that on you card it must look basically ****e, since it
is bloody awful on a FX5900U and a Radeon 9800Pro (Graphically even UT2003
looks so much better) to be honest I haven't even tried it on my lowly
backup PC's (P3-800 with GF4 Ti4600 or the P2-450 with GF2 GTS)

Bloody awful...... in what way ?

John Lewis