3D Mark2001 SE Score Gets Lower with every new driver release!!

Old November 5th 03, 03:12 PM
Matthew Foster

Default 3D Mark2001 SE Score Gets Lower with every new driver release!!

Hi

I thought new releases of drivers were supposed to improve performance not
reduce it. I have a Geforce 4 TI4200 which gave a score of 10949 with 4072
drivers and it has got steadily lower until today i installed th 5216
drivers which gave a mere 9689.

Nothing else has changed on the system so i am confused as to why this is
the case!!!

Regards

Matthew

Old November 5th 03, 03:17 PM
Morgan

Even though that benchmark gets lower do you also see a reduction within the
games that you play. After all you can't play a benchmark.

I too found that 3D mark 2001 performed the best for me with the an older
revision of drivers, 43.51's, and got around 15200 plus with my Ti4200 but
didn't see any difference in game performance between those and the newer
52.16's - and surely that is what counts..?

--
Regards

Morgan

My noisy drive is noisy no more...
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

Old November 5th 03, 03:26 PM
Matthew Foster

"Morgan" wrote in message
Even though that benchmark gets lower do you also see a reduction within

the
games that you play. After all you can't play a benchmark.

I too found that 3D mark 2001 performed the best for me with the an older
revision of drivers, 43.51's, and got around 15200 plus with my Ti4200 but
didn't see any difference in game performance between those and the newer
52.16's - and surely that is what counts..?

--
Regards

Morgan

You may be right, it just seems odd that the score goes down on every new
release.

Regards

Matthew

Old November 5th 03, 05:24 PM
Derek Wildstar

"Matthew Foster" wrote in message
Hi

I thought new releases of drivers were supposed to improve performance not
reduce it. I have a Geforce 4 TI4200 which gave a score of 10949 with 4072
drivers and it has got steadily lower until today i installed th 5216
drivers which gave a mere 9689.

Nothing else has changed on the system so i am confused as to why this is
the case!!!

Typically, the newest series of drivers gives a performance boost,
subsequent driver corrections slightly trade that performance gain for
stability, compatibility.

Think of it this way...you trade in your car for a newer one. You stomp on
the gas and take it for hard drives, to seee what it can do. After a time
you learn to handle it better, avoid the police (!), know when to
accelerate/brake properly. You and the car become better as a unit.

The longer you have that car, the better it performs, but maybe not at the
highest speed on the odometer when you first got it.

Old November 5th 03, 07:46 PM
Dan

3D Mark2001 SE is a DX8 benchmark program. As the drivers are released they
are being optimized for DX9 programs and cards such as FX5900 and 3D
Mark2003.
Although the new drivers support your card you can rest assured that NVidia
is no long concerned with GeForce 4 Ti performance they are looking ahead.

Old November 6th 03, 12:16 AM
DaveW

The 52.16 is designed to optimize the LATEST nvidia cards (5600, 5700, 5900,
5950). NOT the older cards. Stick with your original driver.

--
DaveW

Old November 6th 03, 09:20 AM
Aki Peltola

"Matthew Foster" wrote
I thought new releases of drivers were supposed to improve performance not
reduce it. I have a Geforce 4 TI4200 which gave a score of 10949 with 4072
drivers and it has got steadily lower until today i installed th 5216
drivers which gave a mere 9689.

Yeah, I thought too that the latest detonators do have some
kinda cheat-optimizations concerning 3DMark2001 that
makes GPU render only the very visible parts of the tests
giving abnormally higher scores...