does agpx8 provide a significant advantage over x4?

Old October 24th 03, 08:25 PM
Swz

Default does agpx8 provide a significant advantage over x4?

I'm about to get a new graphics card but my motherboard only supports x4
speed. The card i intend to get is agpx8 (fx5600). Will the bottleneck be
a noticable problem playing games?
Shall i upgrade my motherboard before i get one? How noticable is the
perfermance increase from x4 to x8?

Thankyou all

Swz

Old October 24th 03, 08:35 PM
Shepİ

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:25:59 +0000 (UTC), Knowing that it was a
Hollywood invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Swz"
wrote :

I'm about to get a new graphics card but my motherboard only supports x4
speed. The card i intend to get is agpx8 (fx5600). Will the bottleneck be
a noticable problem playing games?
Shall i upgrade my motherboard before i get one? How noticable is the
perfermance increase from x4 to x8?

Thankyou all

Swz

Don't bother.AGP 8x has been surpassed by the video memory on your
video card.

My 10 penn'th.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 24th 03, 08:43 PM
Swz

Don't bother upgrading the motherboard you mean? Just get there card?
BTW i didn't know you posted here shep.

Cheers

Old October 24th 03, 10:08 PM
Egil Solberg

"Swz" wrote in message
Don't bother upgrading the motherboard you mean? Just get there card?
BTW i didn't know you posted here shep.

AGP4X contra AGP8X does not mean anything at all, and should not be taken
into consideration. Neither reagarding mobo nor video card.

Old October 24th 03, 10:31 PM
Shepİ

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:43:39 +0000 (UTC), Knowing that it was a
wrote :

Don't bother upgrading the motherboard you mean? Just get there card?
BTW i didn't know you posted here shep.

I'm all over M8
I mean that AGP 8X has nothing to offer over AGP 4X in real world
graphics speeds however there are other reasons to upgrade a mother
board like USB 2/Larger hard drive support/RAID etc which are more of
a consideration than the make's hyped AGP 8X.
Get the video card.Leave the mother board until you need one

Cheers
.. .

Old October 27th 03, 09:03 AM
Darthy

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:25:59 +0000 (UTC), "Swz"
wrote:

I'm about to get a new graphics card but my motherboard only supports x4
speed. The card i intend to get is agpx8 (fx5600). Will the bottleneck be
a noticable problem playing games?
Shall i upgrade my motherboard before i get one? How noticable is the
perfermance increase from x4 to x8?

AGP 8x may add 0~3fps... Its not much better than AGP 4x, which is not
a big improvement in performance over AGP 2x.

Its marketing, don't worry about.

If you're willing to spend the money, perhaps a better video card? If
speed *IS* a concern, the 5600 is still kinda low-end.

But what is your current hardware? If you're still using a
PIII-600Mhz, then you should upgrade anyways... but what do you have?

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Where is the battery? Bob Alexander General 11 November 3rd 04 11:26 PM
Proposed System Thunder9 General 80 October 14th 03 02:50 PM
Proposed System Thunder9 Homebuilt PC's 80 October 14th 03 02:50 PM
Does nForce2 chipset provide performance advantage for SATA drives? Ed T Wilson Asus Motherboards 5 July 1st 03 11:28 AM