Factors why 4200 won't OC ? Ti4200

Old September 15th 03, 01:15 AM
Jay Sottolano

Default Factors why 4200 won't OC ? Ti4200

To all,
Can someone help with either a link or partial explanation, the factors
in why a particular card may not overclock as much as another. I am
running an

ASUS 4280TD Ti4200 at 4x AGP,
on an Intel D845PEBT2 MB with
1 GIG of memory (PC2700)
533 FSB,
ASUS 43.25 Drivers,
Pentiun 2.4
Win XP Pro SP1

I am running the 3DMark03 benchmarks. I see the results of others who
are OC'ing Ti4200 to a much greater degree than I am capable of. The
defaults on the card are 252 Core and 513 memory. The max I can get to
without video breakup is 265.5/540. At 300 or so on core, the benchmark
won't run. At the speeds I can set via RivaTuner, I am comparable with
any other scores I see people achieving, I just can't get it set to that
high. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jay S.

Old September 15th 03, 01:22 AM
methylenedioxy

"Jay Sottolano" wrote in message
[...]

Could be the other users are using water cooling, live in Eskimo land and
have the computer case open and outside when they oc, could be anything.
Could be cheating too, I know people used to cheat on 3d mark 01

Old September 15th 03, 02:02 AM
Jay Sottolano

Hello,
Thanks for the quick reply. I also wondered if the fact that they were
the ASUS version of the drivers might have anything to do with it.
Again, looking at the results online, it seems most folks versions of
43.25 are recognized as WHQL certified, while the ASUS ones are not,
even during the installation phase.
I should have also mentioned that I am running DX9.0A. Thanks again..
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the drivers. I'll also try loading up
the NVidia ones to see if it makes any difference (proably not though).

Jay S.

Old September 15th 03, 02:06 AM
Jay Sottolano

Hello,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have to leave the window open some cold
evening, get the machine down in temp, and see if I can push it a little
more. I wondered also if it could be anything in the ASUS version of
the drivers vs. the NVidia. You would think they would be the same, but
the ASUS 43.25's are note recognized as certified, whereas I think the
NVidia ones are (WHQL?). Haven't tried this with the straight NVidia
drivers.
I should have also mentioned in the original note that I am DX9.0a.
Thanks again.

Jay S.

Old September 15th 03, 02:06 AM
Jay Sottolano

Jibby,
Why do you say that you don't think I know what I am doing? I thought
my question was pretty reasonable. I am seeing folks who are posting
3DMark03 with Core readings at 300 or so. I assume that the benchmark
software is picking that up from someone. It is not a "user field" to
fill in as far as I can see. If you are telling me that a Core of 300
won't run, then that helps me understand, but I don't understand then
why results are being posted on Futuremark site to the contrary.

Jay S.

Jibby wrote:
at 300 or so on the core the benchmark won't run
when your last overclock was 265.5 do you know what your doing i think not

Old September 15th 03, 04:23 AM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

[...]

I have a Ti4200 and I can overclock it to 300/621 without any artifacts. I
really haven't tried to narrow down the max, I just stepped up to 300/621
and it worked. I don't have any special cooling and my AGP bus freq. is
default and so is the voltage. I use the nVidia 44.03 drivers.

Look in your BIOS and make sure your AGP voltage is default and your AGP
freq. is 66MHz. Set your AGP aperture to 128MB. I assume by the 513 that
your card has 64MB of ram, is that correct? The 64MB cards have faster ram
than the 128MB cards. If I remember ASUS did have a 128MB card with fast ram
though.

So, what's wrong with your system? I assume you have a heatsink and fan on
the card. If the freq. and voltage are correct, then the problem is either
with the drivers of there's something wrong with the video card.

For me, drivers have never had any effect on overclocking. Keep your core at
say 270 and try 580 for ram.

I suppose you could have a power supply problem but I really doubt it.

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---
Got GigaNews?
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

Jay S.

Old September 15th 03, 04:36 AM
Biz

The chips are all a little bit different, due to slight manufacturing
differences. Its purely luck of the draw how well it will o/c besides the
cooling factors you apply. Thats why Golden sample type cards typically o/c
better, those cards are tested to make sure the chips are the cream of the
crop. Its no different than the concept of o/c'ing a cpu, two identical
processors will most likely not o/c to the same exact level. I'm surprised
not one person gave you that answer b4 I got to this post.

Old September 15th 03, 06:54 AM
Jay Sottolano

Too_Much_Coffee ® wrote:
[...]

Hello and thanks,
Checked out the BIOS setting and the AGP aperture was set at the
default 64, so trying things at 128. My card has 128. There doesn't
appear to be a setting for the freq. and voltaage on the Intel MB, but
all voltages appear normal. It is a 431W Enermax Power supply, so I
don't think that is the issue. The Guru3D site says that about 10% over
default is about the limit you might expect, which is right about where
I am (I imagine I can get little closer). Changing the BIOS AGP
aperture didn't seem to do much.
What are your default card settings? I know that the 64MB were faster
in some cases.

Jay S.

Old September 15th 03, 07:05 AM
Chimera

Thats cool jibby, let him fry it

Old September 15th 03, 07:16 AM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

"Biz" wrote in message
The chips are all a little bit different, due to slight manufacturing
differences. Its purely luck of the draw how well it will o/c besides the
cooling factors you apply. Thats why Golden sample type cards typically

o/c
better, those cards are tested to make sure the chips are the cream of the
crop. Its no different than the concept of o/c'ing a cpu, two identical
processors will most likely not o/c to the same exact level. I'm

surprised
not one person gave you that answer b4 I got to this post.

Somebody might have mentioned it if he was able to overclock the card more
than 265/540. His default is 252/513. The worst card on the planet should be
able to do better than 265/540; especially an ASUS. He's barely getting 5%
OC.

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---