I'm now an ATI convert

Old September 6th 03, 11:14 AM
T1000

Default I'm now an ATI convert

Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.

After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely a
Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most exceptionally
stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card I have ever owned.

Not only is in benching far higher than the fx5900 I was playing around with
originally.. notwithstanding benchmarks the real world performance is head
and sholders above anything in the Nvidia camp I have used. The framerates
are constant, rapid movement in 3d games is sikly smooth, and I can, for the
first time, throw my old gaming res up from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 and then
on top of that, throw AA and AF and all the other eye candy into the mix and
still get exceptional gaming.

I look at these 5900s... with their monster cooling solutions (even the
single slot cooling designs are ludicrous), cores running at 84c... loud
fans, huge size etc.. then I look at my simple, elegant and reasonably sized
ATI card with a single fan and a modest heatsink and wonder why I waited so
damn long to make the switch.

The catalyst drivers were always to my mind a bit flaky... but since the
release of Cat 3.X I've noticed that the drivers are rock solid and offer
everything a gamer could possibly need. The drivers I'm using with the
9800pro (Cat 3.6) are rock solid.

I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade.. and with the fx5900
in it I was wondering if I had faulty Ram, mobo etc coz during heavy
benchmarking and burn-in I was indeed getting random crashes from time to
time. With the ATI installed I have run 3dmark 2001 for 8 hours straight..
and apart from a quite warm ambient case temp after the testing, there was
not a single hiccup.

Looking forward to spending some more time around here over the coming
months.

To any others resisting the switch to ATI so frequently spouted at various
sites, magazines etc... BELIEVE ME.. IT'S TRUE.. ATI OFFER A BETTER
SOLUTION.

Cheers,

T1000

Old September 6th 03, 11:16 AM
GuitarMan

"T1000" wrote in message
Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.

After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely a
Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most

exceptionally
stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card I have ever owned.

I'm happy for you...now that you switched to ATI, you can drop the NVidia NG
and quit cross-posting?

Old September 6th 03, 11:58 AM
k y l e

"GuitarMan" wrote in message
"T1000" wrote in message
Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.

After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely a
Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most

exceptionally
stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card I have ever

owned.

I'm happy for you...now that you switched to ATI, you can drop the NVidia

NG
and quit cross-posting?

Oooooh someone sounds a little ratty :-P

Old September 6th 03, 04:07 PM
F r e e

I upgraded my entire system during my Vid card upgrade..

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, so this is a realy 'cientific' comparison....!
Man, so much word wasting and then you say this....

Free
Old September 6th 03, 05:08 PM
Wayne Youngman

"T1000" wrote in
Just wanted to drop the ATI newsgroup a line to say HI.

After 5 years with Nvidia cards I have made the switch to ATI, namely a
Powercolor Radeon 9800pro 128meg. This card is by far the most

exceptionally
stable, well rounded and best performing graphics card I have ever owned.

Hi,
yes dude, I am in agreement with you. I too am coming from being a long
term nVidia GPU user, and yes it certainly is an *EYE-OPENER* seeing what a
9800 can do. Somehow it made my monitor work better/clearer in 2D also :P.
Still didn't test any DVD's/DivX yet but I'm sure it will rock . .

Did you have a butchers at these things:

ATI Developer Demos
http://www.ati.com/developer/demos.html

Wayne ][

Old September 6th 03, 05:27 PM
Ed Forsythe

Hi T,
Glad you're happy. I was a Matrox fan for years but when they abandoned the
3D market I had to switch. After much research (ATI vs. nVidia) I decided
on ATI. Bought a 9500 Pro and haven't looked back. Matrox has always been
famous for their 2D stuff and beautiful display but I think that, at this
point, ATI is at least as good and of course light years ahead of Matrox in
3D. I think I'll stick with the 9500 Pro when I build my new box this
fall/winter and I'll upgrade when the ATI 10000 Pro is available ;-)
--
Happy Flying,
Ed F.

Old September 6th 03, 07:01 PM
Lester Piglet

Hi, me too. I was a solid Sparkle 4mb user and I upgraded to a Rage Fury
Maxx, no more sparkles for me.

Old September 7th 03, 01:04 AM
McGrandpa

"T1000" wrote in message

[...]

Hey T, I own both ATI (all made by ATI) and Nvidia (1 Asus, 2 PNY, 2
Creative Labs). I can tell ya now that the PNY cards are pretty much
pure reference boards, and my FX5900 isn't anything like you say yours
is. What brand and model is it?
The next vid card on my list to get isn't even on the shelves around
here (Houston). The stores can't get either ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 meg
cards or FX 5900 Ultra 256 meg cards. The stores say they have em in
stock (some of the stores do) and when I get there, they are 128 meg
cards.

The ATI cards, as fas as I can see right now are all .15m die and the
FX5900's are .13m die. They seem to run about the same temp too. Both
have variable fan speeds. And the FX5900 has a very nice and quiet
radial fin fan with open heat sink. It's very nice actually.

I want to skip the FX 5900 Ultra 256 and get a 9800Pro 256 for myself.
Both seem to retail for $499 US.

But I'd rather see the ATI board in .13m die.

And I haven't had any problems running either ATI or Nvidia cards on my
systems....so far. You may well have had a card with flakey ram.
McG.