Laptop display died - Possible Help?

Old June 4th 04, 12:11 AM
Cliff Roman

Default Laptop display died - Possible Help?

I have a Compaq 1712US Laptop and the other night while using it the display
suddenly became like a psychedelic picture. (The Whole display was lit
still and working, just garbled beyond recognition)

I turned off the laptop and now when I bootup, you can see it turn on
(slight light to it... over the entire display) and then when Windows
initializes the display, you can see about 1/3 of the display (left hand
side) in the classic Windows XP Blue

However, you can not actually see what it is displaying.

Another note.. External Display does still work (if I hook it up to a
monitor)

I have been looking on eBay for Displays and I noticed that they also have
display inverters for the laptop (much cheaper, only $14)

Is there a way of knowing if it is the display itself or just the inverter?
Or if it was actually something inside the laptop. Although if it was
something to do with the video controller, I would think that an External
monitor would not work.

Any advice is welcome..

Thanks

Old June 4th 04, 01:22 AM
Michael Culley

If it was the inverter you would still see the picture just it would be dark. Most likely there is a dry solder join somewhere in
the display, the only option is to have it repaired or replaced.

--
Michael Culley

Old June 4th 04, 01:34 AM
Jerry G.

This is either from a cold solder connection, defective ribbon cable, failed
LCD interpreter/driver board, or the LCD panel itself. The authorized
service centre for your machine would have the spare parts to try to
determine the exact fault.

Compaq will not sell service parts to end users. If it was possible, you
would have to buy the parts to try, so this would not be a paying
proposition to do the service yourself. You can call their authorized
service rep to make the proper arrangements for service.

--

Jerry G.
=====