ATI, Xbox Deal: First Consequences

Old August 15th 03, 05:52 PM
Tea Nes

Default ATI, Xbox Deal: First Consequences

$13.77 from $1.52 is not 12 percent. You must be wrong, that 900% and I
doubt it went that high.
"Radeon350" wrote in message
om...
http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=4727

After ATI said on Thursday it struck a deal with Microsoft to develop
graphics technology for the Xbox successor, shares of the
Ontario-based graphics chip maker jumped more than 12 percent at the
open on Nasdaq, rising $1.52 to $13.77 with more than 4 million shares
traded, making it the most active stock on the exchange. Meanwhile,
nVIDIA's stock fell 53 cents to $16.25.

The Agreement

"ATI's deal to develop next-generation graphics technology for
Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox successor will be structured as a royalty
agreement," said Rick Bergman, a senior vice president of marketing
and general manager of ATI's desktop business.

"We get funds for the actual development of the chip, and then in the
future when we actually ship devices, then yes, we get a royalty per
device," Rick Bergman, a senior vice president of marketing and
general manager of ATI's desktop business told Reuters in an
interview.

ATI already produces chips for Nintendo's GameCube under a royalty
agreement. Graphics chips for Microsoft's Xbox video game console are
currently supplied by ATI rival nVIDIA.

Industry Analysts Talk

"That is, in effect, an arrangement with no downside for ATI, unlike
Nvidia's relationship with Microsoft whereby it was essentially
selling chips in the normal model and, by our estimates, not likely to
have much actual earnings from the project," Brian Piccioni,
semiconductor analyst at BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc., said Thursday.

In a research report issued earlier this week on Tuesday, First
Associates Investment Inc.'s Dennis dos Santos said it has raised its
price targets for the company as "evidence mounts evidence that ATI
has overtaken Nvidia Corp. for industry leadership." Mr. dos Santos
said First Associates has a "buy" rating on the stock. He raised his
price target from $16 (Canadian) to $19.50 for ATI's shares in
Toronto. "We believe that once investors become convinced that the
leadership of the industry has changed hands, ATI will be accorded the
'industry leader's' premium multiple." He also noted that as the next
generation of gaming consoles are due for 2005 or 2006, major awards
would come this year. "A win with Microsoft would add between $0.10
and $0.20 per share to EPS, beginning in fiscal 2005," Mr. dos Santos
wrote.

"Microsoft is always particularly vague in terms of its press releases
and not spilling too much, but we are very confident that this in fact
represents the next generation of Xbox," said David Hodgson, an
analyst with Dundee Securities.

"nVIDIA has really given a lot of signals that they're trying to
distance themselves from Xbox2," Michael McConnell, an analyst for
Pacific Crest Securities, said earlier this summer. "That relationship
has really soured over the last year. Microsoft in general is just not
a very nice partner to deal with. I think the whole experience left
nVIDIA with a bad taste in their mouth."

"This decision marks a major victory for ATI, having beaten out the
incumbent Xbox graphics chips provider and archrival nVIDIA," Paul
Howbold, an analyst at Desjardins Securities Inc., wrote in a report.
Although Xbox will probably not be sold until the end of 2005, Mr.
Howbold raised his Nasdaq stock target price by $1.50 to between
$14.50 and $20 from between $13 to $18.

"nVIDIA didn't want to meet Microsoft's demands for the floating
design of Xbox Next. It didn't make sense to partner on the project.
At this moment in time, ATI is working with Microsoft," an nVIDIA
staffer said in June, according to Spong.com, which first broke the
story.

"nVIDIA had recently signaled the company wouldn't be interested in
pursuing the next-generation Xbox business", says Jon Peddie,
principal analyst for Jon Peddie Research. "The company recently said
it was looking to cut costs, and a number of industry observers have
indicated that Microsoft was looking for another partner".

Old August 15th 03, 06:34 PM
Keith Clark

Tea Nes wrote:

$13.77 from $1.52 is not 12 percent. You must be wrong, that 900% and I
doubt it went that high.

You misread.

The quote said the price rose by $1.52, not from $1.52.

Old August 15th 03, 07:07 PM
Keith Clark

wrestleantares wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:52:49 -0400, "Tea Nes" wrote:

$13.77 from $1.52 is not 12 percent. You must be wrong, that 900% and I
doubt it went that high.

"rising $1.52 to $13.77"

So former price was:

Anyone....

That's right for those of you able to read and do math it's $12.25.

Notice how it did not say: "rising from $1.52 to $13.77"

I checked with CBS Market watch (link from Yahoo Finance) and they say the
price only jumped by 6%. Still, makes me wish I'd bought some ATI stock
earlier.

CNN the other day was covering Quakecon, and explaining the benefits of a
graphics card update. I thought it was one of the best techincal stories ever
done on a mainstream news show. Anyway they went on to say that most people
wanting to play Doom 3 would need an upgrade. They mentioned ATI and Nvidia,
but the only card they actually talked about was an ATI 9800. So guess what
impression that leaves with the public.

I love my Nvidia Fx5600 based card but I'm still thinking of buying some ATI
stock before Doom 3 comes out...

Keith

Old August 15th 03, 11:14 PM
Thomas A. Horsley

First Consequences

Actually, my guess as to first consequences is that "normal" windows driver
development will be totally bottom of the barrel priority in the future :-).
--
== The *Best* political site URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/ ==+

email: icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley Free Software and Politics ==+
Old August 18th 03, 10:01 AM
ginfest

"Thomas A. Horsley" wrote in message
First Consequences

Actually, my guess as to first consequences is that "normal" windows

driver
development will be totally bottom of the barrel priority in the future

:-).
--

Judging from the state of the current ATI drivers, it already is!

Old August 18th 03, 10:07 AM
aep@nospam writeme.com

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:01:55 GMT, "ginfest"
wrote:

Judging from the state of the current ATI drivers, it already is!

Spoken like a true know nothing troll.

Andrew.
Old August 18th 03, 09:31 PM
ginfest

wrote:

Judging from the state of the current ATI drivers, it already is!

Spoken like a true know nothing troll.

Andrew.

Actually you can call me Digital Wonderer, Dumbtrooper, or Hellwhiner

Danke