nVidia loses XBox-2 contract to ATi

Old August 14th 03, 10:37 PM
NV55

Default nVidia loses XBox-2 contract to ATi

nVidia is not going to make the graphics processor for XBox 2.

Apparently ATi is.

http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-5063661.html?tag=fd_top
http://www.gamers.com/news/1443671
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030814/145156_1.html
Old August 15th 03, 01:53 PM
chrisv

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:10:27 GMT, "Mark Leuck"
wrote:

Let em have it, I'm sure while they made tons of money at it Nvidia got a
lot of headaches from Microsoft

Well, I'm sure that after the honeymoon was over, M$ tried to screw
them in the wrong hole, like they do all their "partners".

Old August 15th 03, 01:56 PM
John Russell

"Bill" wrote in message

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message
Let em have it, I'm sure while they made tons of money at it Nvidia got

lot of headaches from Microsoft

Maybe its the other way around?:-)

Microsoft want want is effectively a PC at the price of a gamestation. To
achieve this they expect the hardware supplier to subsedise the hardware and
recieve a porportion of the license game makers pay microsoft. I'm sure this
financial arrangement caused all kinds of headaches.

Old August 15th 03, 02:25 PM
Courseyauto

Nvidia doesn't need M$.........................
Old August 15th 03, 04:38 PM
Crash7

wrote:

Let em have it, I'm sure while they made tons of money at it Nvidia got a
lot of headaches from Microsoft

Well, I'm sure that after the honeymoon was over, M$ tried to screw
them in the wrong hole, like they do all their "partners".

The impression I got was that there was considerable attempted
screwing by both parties. Microsoft by trying to arbitrate a
lower price for the chips, and Nvidia by trying to use their influence
to steer DX9 towards their hardware.

Crash7
remove x's from address to email
Old August 16th 03, 06:00 PM
Mark Leuck

"Bill" wrote in message

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message
Let em have it, I'm sure while they made tons of money at it Nvidia got

lot of headaches from Microsoft

Maybe its the other way around?:-)

I doubt it, look at the history of companies working with Microsoft and you
find much the same thing

Old August 18th 03, 03:16 PM
jack

Darthy wrote:
:: --
: Remember when real men used Real computers!?
: When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
:
: Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Funny sig. You should go to the URL listed in my sig below, if you want
the real skinny on Palladium and it's big sibling, TCPA.

J.

--
--------
The end to "Personal Computing" as we know it is just around the corner.

Old August 19th 03, 04:19 AM
ELVIS2000

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:06:08 GMT, Darthy
wrote:

The XBox2 may not be 100% compatible... especially if the games hit
the hardware - which *IS* the point of a console.

Hrum? All XBox games are DirectX. They will be as compatible as
games are now on Nvidia and ATI hardware on PCs.

jw
Old August 20th 03, 03:46 AM
Tony Hill

wrote:

The XBox2 may not be 100% compatible... especially if the games hit
the hardware - which *IS* the point of a console.

Hrum? All XBox games are DirectX. They will be as compatible as
games are now on Nvidia and ATI hardware on PCs.

They are DirectX to a degree, but you can not, for example, take an
XBox game and run it on a PC without porting it. The reason being
that the XBox allows some direct hardware access for performance
reasons. Since every single XBox out there has essentially identical
hardware, they can do this, while on a PC this is not possible.

However, the next generation of XBox will be different. The DirectX
stuff will be fine, but the direct hardware access stuff could be
problematic. Microsoft will probably try to accommodate this in
software, and likely they will be successful for 99%+ of all games,
but there may be the odd XBox game that just won't play on the XBox2.

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca