whats the speed like on an FX5200?

Old August 12th 03, 09:12 PM
Lee Marsh

Default whats the speed like on an FX5200?

The Mentor GeForce FX 5200 ? would it be good with an Athlon XP 2600?

Cheers.

Old August 14th 03, 06:39 AM
mike

Marginally faster than a GeForce3 Ti200 or, if this is a better
comparison, slightly slower than an ATI 8500 LE. Either way the CPU
you have is overmatched for the 5200 DEPENDING on what you want to do
with the card. If 3D gaming is what you are after there are better
choices even in the 5200 price range. If a general purpose card and
light gaming is all you want the 5200 will suffice.

Old August 14th 03, 09:45 PM
Lee Marsh

"Mario Kadastik" wrote in message
Well most likely you will not be able to play Doom ]|[ or HL2 on a
FX5200 with the DX9 settings you might be hoping towards. The card is so
slow in performance that you can only play the new games with low
settings in a low resolution. So if you want to play the games then
you'll have to consider GF4Ti series (Ti4400 or Ti4200 that can
sometimes OC to 4600 speeds) or higher FX series cards.

Mario

Lee Marsh wrote:
Thanks, I'm looking for a standalone fast system that will be able to

handle
Half-Life 2, Doom 3 etc but for only £500.

wrote:

The Mentor GeForce FX 5200 ? would it be good with an Athlon XP 2600?

Cheers.

Thanks for all your comments!

Right I've decided on the following:

I can buy a pre-built system with the following:

Athlon XP 2600
1GB PC2700 memory
80GB Maxtor ATA133 Hdd
Asus A7V8X-X Via KT400 Mobo
Mentor Geforce FX 5200

All for around £470.00

What I was thinking of doing is upgrading the FX5200 to a PNY GF FX5900,
what do you
guys/girls think? Or would I be better going for say a Gainward GF 4 ti4800,
would this go
better with the Athlon XP 2600??

Cheers,

Lee.

Old August 15th 03, 12:21 AM
Mario Kadastik

wrote:

The Mentor GeForce FX 5200 ? would it be good with an Athlon XP 2600?

Cheers.

Thanks for all your comments!

Right I've decided on the following:

I can buy a pre-built system with the following:

Athlon XP 2600
1GB PC2700 memory
80GB Maxtor ATA133 Hdd
Asus A7V8X-X Via KT400 Mobo
Mentor Geforce FX 5200

All for around £470.00

What I was thinking of doing is upgrading the FX5200 to a PNY GF FX5900,
what do you
guys/girls think? Or would I be better going for say a Gainward GF 4 ti4800,
would this go
better with the Athlon XP 2600??

Cheers,

Lee.

If you can afford it then go for the FX5900. It's definitely faster in
every angle compared to the Ti 4800. Including DX9 support that the
Ti4800 lacks. This might be essential for games like DooM ]|[ and HL 2.

Mario

Old August 15th 03, 03:25 AM
mike

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:45:55 +0100, "Lee Marsh"
wrote:

Thanks for all your comments!

Right I've decided on the following:

I can buy a pre-built system with the following:

Athlon XP 2600
1GB PC2700 memory
80GB Maxtor ATA133 Hdd
Asus A7V8X-X Via KT400 Mobo
Mentor Geforce FX 5200

All for around £470.00

What I was thinking of doing is upgrading the FX5200 to a PNY GF FX5900,
what do you
guys/girls think? Or would I be better going for say a Gainward GF 4 ti4800,
would this go
better with the Athlon XP 2600??

Cheers,

Lee.

For the money you'd spend on a 5900 I'd buy a Radeon 9800 (non-pro)
and overclock it to Pro levels.... you'd have a very fast card (within
the top 3 or 4 fastest available) for a relatively modest amount
spent.
Old August 16th 03, 10:08 AM
Darthy

wrote:

Thanks for all your comments!

Right I've decided on the following:

I can buy a pre-built system with the following:

Athlon XP 2600
1GB PC2700 memory
80GB Maxtor ATA133 Hdd
Asus A7V8X-X Via KT400 Mobo
Mentor Geforce FX 5200

All for around £470.00

What I was thinking of doing is upgrading the FX5200 to a PNY GF FX5900,
what do you
guys/girls think? Or would I be better going for say a Gainward GF 4 ti4800,
would this go
better with the Athlon XP 2600??

XP2600 is fine...

But if youre getting a NEW system - why not OPT for the ASUS
A7N8X-Deluxe? Im working on one right now - and its A LOT faster than
my ASUS A7v8X board...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!