Best Upgrade from a Geforce 3 Classic

Old August 8th 03, 11:09 PM
John Hall

Default Best Upgrade from a Geforce 3 Classic

My Geforce 3 is now two years old and I'm thinking about an upgrade.
Obviously going to a top of the line card would give me the biggest
performance increase. But what about bang for the buck. I am not unhappy
with my current card, I have it overclocked and it seems to run everything
pretty well. Combat Flight Sim 3 does not seems to run as fast as it could,
but FS2004 is great.

Recommendations?

Old August 9th 03, 04:37 AM
Wanderer

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:09:44 GMT, "John Hall"
wrote:

Combat Flight Sim 3 does not seems to run as fast as it could

That's actually true for most everyone. Seriously, the graphics
engine for that game is not well written as it even runs slow on top
of the line systems. The minimum and recommended requirements for the
game are a complete ****ing joke.

Old August 9th 03, 10:41 PM
John Hall

Yeah, I gotta agree with you. That is what people have been saying in the
microsoft simulators newsgroup. I was worried that FS2004 would be based on
the graphics engine for CFS3, but thankfully it's not and FS2004 runs as
nicely as FS2002.

My Geforce 3 classic video card works well with everything I have. The more
I check into upgrading the card, the more I see that this card is something
of a classic and it will be difficult to get a real big performance boost
without laying out a ton of cash for a top of the line card. I may just
hang on to it for another year. That will be a record for me if I do.
Three years with the same video card, wow, maybe I should frame it when I
take it out of my system. It looks cool too with it's green anodized
aluminum heat sinks on the memory.

JK

Old August 11th 03, 06:25 AM
SpaceWalker

I had a PNY GeForce3 and moved up to an ATI 9500 Pro, I gotta tell ya, I
don't regret it one bit, alot more powerful than the 4x00's and better than
the 5x00's

e.rogers.com...

Old August 11th 03, 03:18 PM
John Hall

I've started to think about the ATI 9800, not the pro, just the straight
9800. Here in Canada is seems to be about $200 cheaper than the pro model,
$394 vs. $589.

JK

"SpaceWalker" wrote in message
I had a PNY GeForce3 and moved up to an ATI 9500 Pro, I gotta tell ya, I
don't regret it one bit, alot more powerful than the 4x00's and better

than
the 5x00's

e.rogers.com...

Old August 11th 03, 08:20 PM
YanquiDawg

I'm in the same boat.(anyone wat to buy a GF3 cheap?). Anyway,I've about
decided on the FX 5900.

Old August 13th 03, 08:35 AM
Ron Merts

I went from a Ti4600 to a FX 5800 (not much there, gained about 200-225
points in 3DMark2001SE) to a FX 5900 and could not be happier. Stock with
no overclocking and with 3DMark2001SE I get over 18000 all day long with my
eVGA FX 5900 128Mb (non-ultra); and it's under $400. Played with a FX 5600
256Mb non-ultra from ABit and was getting scores around 12000-12300
(overclocked to 400Mhz core, only around 10000-10150 at stock speed of
325Mhz core); but the FX 5900 definitely rocks.

Ron