gf4mx440 black screens when using explorer to browse hard drive (duplicate post as last didnt appear)

Old August 6th 03, 09:19 AM
Alan Hinchcliffe

Default gf4mx440 black screens when using explorer to browse hard drive (duplicate post as last didnt appear)

I'm having this weird problem with a gf4 mx440 64mb ddr in that when ever i
single click on an mpg file or any movie for that matter in windows explorer
my screen goes black for a few seconds then returns as if nothing has
happened my guess is its a full screen video overlay problem but i have
turned this off in my display properties. my friend has the 128mb version of
my card and it exhibits the exact same symptoms the weird thing is it has
only just started doing it in the last 2 weeks but i have been adding
software and updated drivers so i am not sure how the problem has occurred.

I have just started using the pc as a digital video editing platform for my
DV home movies, so its happening loads now as i compile clips from my hard
disk

It looks as though while exploring the drive my computer is trying to
generate a thumbnail of each video clip but it is going to a full screen
overlay while it looks for the first frame?

athlon 2000

gigabyte ga7vaxp

512mb ddr ram

windows XP pro

Old August 6th 03, 09:30 AM
Strontium

Your server is working. No need to repost it Just an FYI... Have you
tried rolling back your detonators?

-
Alan Hinchcliffe stood up at show-n-tell, in

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old August 6th 03, 10:13 AM
Alan Hinchcliffe

i have tried going back to the detonators i was using before but im not sure
if a regestry key has been left behind because it still does it with the
40.72 drivers i was using before i upgraded to the 44.03 from MS windows
update

Old August 6th 03, 12:22 PM
Alan Hinchcliffe

i have tried a clean install of my drivers (41.09) after using driver clean
in safemode and it still does it.

haveing explored this further it appears to be a mpg files encoded in a
particular way hence it only occuring in the last couple of weeks (after i
have started using my machine to edit digital video).

the files affected are only files encoded in pal 720 x 576 25fps dvd mpg2
format, vcd and svcd format mpgs are not affected so it looks like im
leaving the topic of alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia ill have to ask in
digital video editing and see if they have an answer. but has anyone else
experienced this problem?

There is a solution!"

http://www.giantcompany.com

"Strontium" wrote in message
You need to scrap Winblows update. Make a mental note: Winblows update
'bad'. That said, go to www.guru3d.com and get, let's say, the 41.09's

and
also do a google for Driver Cleaner. Read the readme on Driver Cleaner.
It's an excellent utility.

-