New NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 makes Sound card choppy at boot-up. HELP!

Old July 21st 03, 02:28 AM
Dunny Rummy

Default New NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 makes Sound card choppy at boot-up. HELP!

Just bought a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. My previous was a GeForce 2 TI.
At boot up the window's sound is choppy while windows is loading. This
problem I never had with the previous Vid card. My sound card is a
Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1.
Aslo does BUS mastering play a role (new card doesnt feature this)

Other info:
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+1.54GHz
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
768 DDR
Old July 21st 03, 06:20 AM
Dave

Why don't you remove the SB Live and use the onboard Soundstorm. I'll bet
that will be a good work around.
Dave

Old July 21st 03, 06:56 AM
S3Trio

I just added a PNY nVidia Geforce4 MX440se a few weeks ago and I am having
the same exact problem. It only lasts for about 2 or 3 seconds. Any one know
why? Is their an issue with the chip sets?

S3

Old July 21st 03, 09:53 AM
Ron Merts

Look and see, and I'll bet you'll find the soundcard is on the same
interrupt (IRQ) as the Video card. If not, make sure you have the latest
chipset drivers and drivers for the video and sound cards. You should not
be getting choppy sound on a SB Live 5.1 card with any video card unless
something is interferring with the interrupt. Your onboard audio is likely
to be worse on the choppy sound.

Ron

Old July 21st 03, 01:58 PM
Ross Snowden

Yes, I believe it's a known issue on the MS database. I had the same
problem when I installed the newest drivers for the GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (so
it's not just your model). Roll back to a previous driver, and the problem
will go away.

RS

Old July 21st 03, 03:33 PM
S3Trio

After I installed my card the next day or so I did update the driver through
"Windows Update" their was an updated driver listed. Think I will roll back
the driver and see what happens.

S3

Old July 21st 03, 07:32 PM
Strontium

It has nothing to do with IRQ's. Get rid of the latest nVidia driver, as
other posters have stated. 41.09 is a good choice.

-
Dunny Rummy stood up, at show-n-tell in
and said:

Should I manually set the IRQs? What's the best way to do this (I've
always allowed IRQs to be automatically assigned)?
Another question is how does the GeForce FX 52 stack up against my old
GeForce 2TI? At a glance I see some features the geforce 2TI didn't
offer like pixel shading. Also when I benchmark it with 3Dmark it
barely kicks over 10FPS ((. So I'm debating on weather I should take
it back and spend a little more on the GeForce FX 5600. Comments
please!

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old July 21st 03, 10:17 PM
S3Trio

I rolled back the driver with no change. It still chatters for 2 or three
seconds on boot. I will check the interrupt.

Old July 22nd 03, 12:41 AM
Strontium

Check it, all you want. NT-based OS's do not use IRQ's.

-
S3Trio stood up, at show-n-tell in