Regarding Audigy2+44.xx drivers=bus hogging

Old July 14th 03, 07:57 PM
Roger

Default Regarding Audigy2+44.xx drivers=bus hogging

I have done some experimenting and have found out that by uninstalling the
latest Creative Audigy2 drivers and then installing just the drivers (didn't
install anything else except the base drivers) that came on the Audigy2
installation cdrom you can run any version of the Nvidia drivers and not get
any stuttering sound on boot up. I was getting a bit of stuttering engine
sound when driving tanks in BF:1942 but that has gone too now. I guess new
is not always better and it looks to me like both Nvidia and Creative are
trying to tweak the last drop of performance out of their cards to the point
that they are causing bus hogging issues.

Old Creative drivers + New Nvidia drivers = good

Old July 15th 03, 03:17 AM
W????n S.

"Derek Wildstar" wrote in message

"Roger" wrote in message
[...]

This is a well understood phenomenon, but no one wants to do anything

about
it. Typically, the problem was the creative drivers not releasing the bus

in
time for the hungry 255clk appetite of the GeForces.

Barring any emergency surgery by Creative (don't hold your breath), you

must
tweak your PCI bus specifically for your exact needs and configuration,

yes
it's a major pain in the ass, but it's the only way to get near perfect
operation.

Best way to do that, is as others have posted, is primarily to knock out

any
TSR that you absolutley do not need to run on start up. Almost all

Creative
TSP's are crap and eligible for deletetion, also make sure your chipset
level drivers are up to speed. Many of the 4-1's have specificfixes for

this
issue.

Lastly, set up your BIOS to treat the PCI bus with kid gloves, a 32clk
minimum is a good setting for a modern robust PC that has these issues.
Good luck, this is a complex issue that has no one exacting solution. I'm
glad you found something that seems to work for you, most don't.

Force IRQ Priority
This is a tweak that falls into the category of imperceptible, but some may
find it useful if a hardware device is being a bit of a laggard. This tweak
can be applied to multiple IRQs and the best use you could make of it is to
try to improve the performance of devices that share an IRQ over non-shared
IRQs.

The effect of this change is to improve the performance of devices on the
nominated IRQ. It is often used to boost the performance of the System
CMOS/real time clock, normally residing on IRQ8.

To change the priority of a different IRQ, replace 8 in IRQ8Priority with
the appropriate IRQ number. To change the priority of additional devices,
simply add appropriate keys.

Start regedit and navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\PriorityControl]

Create the new entry, save the changes and reboot;

"IRQ8Priority"=dword:0000001

If you are not certain that the System CMOS/real time clock resides on IRQ8
on your system, check it by selecting the properties of System CMOS/real
time clock in Device Manager.

Thx to Kadaitcha Man...................

Old July 15th 03, 04:16 PM
Adam Selene

Greetings...

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:57:50 -0700, "Roger" wrote:

I have done some experimenting and have found out that by uninstalling the
latest Creative Audigy2 drivers and then installing just the drivers (didn't
install anything else except the base drivers) that came on the Audigy2
installation cdrom you can run any version of the Nvidia drivers and not get
any stuttering sound on boot up. I was getting a bit of stuttering engine
sound when driving tanks in BF:1942 but that has gone too now. I guess new
is not always better and it looks to me like both Nvidia and Creative are
trying to tweak the last drop of performance out of their cards to the point
that they are causing bus hogging issues.

Old Creative drivers + New Nvidia drivers = good

Nice theory, but I bet you might get the exact same results if you had simply just
reinstalled all the creative drivers as they were...

It's a common enough problem - Always install sound drivers last. Always install Video
drivers first, always reinstall sound drivers after reinstalling or upgrading video
drivers.

I'm not disputing your theory - you may in fact be correct, But It's possible that it's
just a case of video drivers being installed after sound drivers.

As for Why - I have no idea. But every case of stuttering I have ever encountered (quite
a few) has always been solved by simply following that simple ordering...

Old July 15th 03, 10:20 PM
Shepİ

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:03:29 -0700, In this world we created Peter
Parker wrote :

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:28:23 GMT, "Derek Wildstar"
wrote:

[...]

OK, I was wrong about the soundcard drivers because once I installed
powerstrip and had it autoload at bootup the stuttering came back. I
had installed the audigy2 drivers with just the core drivers and
nohing else so nothing else was loading at bootup. I played around
with the PCI settings in PS and it made no difference. Went and
downloaded latest beta drivers (44.90) from guru3d and the problem was
gone. This is a problem inherent in certain Nvidia drivers and nothing
to do with PCI latency settings. It's seems like Nvidia has fixed it
in the latest drivers though. But, after all that, I've decideed to
just go with my old faithfuls the 30.82 drivers for Win98SE and XP.
Never had a problem with those drivers in anything and they are fast
enough for me.

The old 30.82 were a good set for me in win98SE with the my old G3
Ti200.The 43.45_win9x_english.exe
don't seem to give me any problems that,"Rivatuner" can't fix,
http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
and I think Rivatuner does a better job than,"Powerstrip" and causes
no problems and actually fixes them.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,
Old July 16th 03, 01:43 AM
Yoshi Yakaura

On , Shepİ quilled:

The old 30.82 were a good set for me in win98SE with the my old G3
Ti200.The 43.45_win9x_english.exe
don't seem to give me any problems that,"Rivatuner" can't fix,
http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
and I think Rivatuner does a better job than,"Powerstrip" and causes
no problems and actually fixes them.
HTH

OK, thx. I'll try it out but have used it before, it's a bit confusing
with all those options though. :-)
Old July 16th 03, 01:47 AM
Yoshi Yakaura

On , Adam Selene quilled:

Nice theory, but I bet you might get the exact same results if you had simply just
reinstalled all the creative drivers as they were...

It's a common enough problem - Always install sound drivers last. Always install Video
drivers first, always reinstall sound drivers after reinstalling or upgrading video
drivers.

I'm not disputing your theory - you may in fact be correct, But It's possible that it's
just a case of video drivers being installed after sound drivers.

As for Why - I have no idea. But every case of stuttering I have ever encountered (quite
a few) has always been solved by simply following that simple ordering...

Always install sound drivers last. Always install Video drivers first, always reinstall
sound drivers after reinstalling or upgrading video drivers.

Well, if your theory is correct then you would have to always
reinstall the soundcard drivers after trying new video drivers. Nope,
that ain't gonna happen here. If you owned an Audigy2 you would
understand why I say that. This issue only showed up with 44.xx and
later drivers. Using 43.45 right now with no problems showing yet.
Old July 16th 03, 02:03 AM
Shepİ

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:43:02 -0700, In this world we created Yoshi
Yakaura wrote :

On , Shepİ quilled:

The old 30.82 were a good set for me in win98SE with the my old G3
Ti200.The 43.45_win9x_english.exe
don't seem to give me any problems that,"Rivatuner" can't fix,
http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
and I think Rivatuner does a better job than,"Powerstrip" and causes
no problems and actually fixes them.
HTH

OK, thx. I'll try it out but have used it before, it's a bit confusing
with all those options though. :-)

All new programs to a user can be confusing.Use it for a couple of
weeks and it'll be easy

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,
Old July 16th 03, 04:38 PM
chainbreaker

Yoshi Yakaura wrote:
On , Adam Selene quilled:

[...]

Everything on my system was working fine. The Audigy 2 and the 44.xx
drivers were coexisting quite nicely, UNTIL I downloaded and installed the
latest Audigy 2 drivers. Then everything promptly went to hell in a
handbasket--stutterings, game slowdowns, improper saves, system crashes,
etc., including the dreaded blue-screen shutdown where I was warned that a
ct* something-or-other file was at the root of the problem.

I purged the new Audigy 2 drivers I downloaded (I hope) and reinstalled the
old ones. So far, so good, but only time will tell for sure.
--
chainbreaker-who doesn't understand why Creative feels the need to pack 10
pounds of crap in a 5-pound driver basket