Gainward fx5200 (non golden) performance questions

Old July 9th 03, 07:40 PM
Bratboy

Default Gainward fx5200 (non golden) performance questions

Has anyone seen any reviews of this card? From what I can tell only GW
golden sample of the 128meg card uses 128 bit and that the normal fx5200
128meg uses 64 bit mem bus. Anyway a GAINWARD GEFORCE PRO 660 FX 5200 128MB
DDR POWERPACK (suspect its the one using the 64 bit path) is being sent to
me to replace a dieing gf3 card with only 64 megs memory and Im just curious
if performance will at least stay the same as my old card, or be worse or
better. To be honest Im only hopeing it stays about the same which is all I
ask of a replacement, but cant seem to find any reviews of this specific
cards performance. Since its a free replacement and untill its in wont even
know if it really was the old card dieing Im not really in any position to
complain but still like to know what to expect hehe.

Thx in advance for any info
Just Jess

Old July 10th 03, 06:05 PM
Bratboy

oh well at least I'll know, if my monitor problems disapear, that it is the
GF3 card going bad. Ran some 3dm01 tests this morning, will install new card
since its on truck for delivery today just to see if fixes image distortion
and run same tests. At least then will know how bad it may suck. If its as
bad as I now fear I'm beginning to HOPE its my monitor dieing instead of my
vid card hehe especially since Hitachi has already said will replace with a
simular refurb which is fair as my warrenty expires on it in 7 days. If it
is the card going bad then if nothing else maybe I can work some sort of
exchange out directly with Gainward to something better/respectable fantasy
and wishful thinking
Just Jess

Old July 10th 03, 07:36 PM
Bratboy

Truely sad performance. gf3 at its default clock 3DM01 and then the new
Gainward fx5200 (lite) Sure glad I didnt have to pay for the card and I am
gonna let em know just how badly it sux hehe

Anyway 3DM01 se scores with test ran at 1280 x 1024@ 85hz, 32 bit, AA2x
ansio 2x

GF3 2697
fx5200 1058

Major sorry performance nothing more you can say and nothing drivers will
fix in future hehe. Maybe the fx5200 would fare well against an old trident
256k card I have cause it cant even break even with the performance of a 3-4
gen old chip and thats pitiful.
Just Jess

Old July 11th 03, 04:25 AM
R Sparks

Now I am confused. Are you saying that in going from a GF3 to a FX 5200 the
op won't see better performance? If nothing else, it should stay
comparable, since it isn't the MX model.
RS

Old July 11th 03, 05:22 AM
Larry Roberts

The performance won't be the same. I'd demand they send you a
Golden Sample version. The full 128bit memory bus versions are on par
with the GF3.

Old July 11th 03, 05:24 AM
Larry Roberts

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:25:30 -0700, "R Sparks"
wrote:

Now I am confused. Are you saying that in going from a GF3 to a FX 5200 the
op won't see better performance? If nothing else, it should stay
comparable, since it isn't the MX model.
RS

The reduced memory bandwidth of the 64bit version brings the
performance down to the MX level.