What's this input on old TV?

Old July 6th 03, 02:32 PM
Erik Jälevik

Default What's this input on old TV?

This might not be strictly the right place to ask but I was wondering if
anyone knows what the output labelled VIDEO IN in the following picture is:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/erik.jalevik/tvback.jpg

It's from a really old TV that hasn't even got scart and it looks identical
to the TV out on my GeForce4. So my question is, is there any chance that
just connecting these two with a long cable would work? Or would I need some
conversion cable from the video card to RF?

Thanks.

Old July 6th 03, 04:59 PM
Gary MacKenzie

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:59:41 GMT, "Biz" wrote:

Unless you can figure out how to use that audio input, the composite video input will be useless.
Chances are you would see no visual improvement over using an RF modulator and just plugging into
the aerial input.

is it a phillips tv by any chance ?
if so i can give you the wiring info for the audio.
Old July 6th 03, 07:27 PM
Erik Jälevik

"Gary MacKenzie" wrote in message
is it a phillips tv by any chance ?

Nope, Granada. :/

Old July 6th 03, 07:28 PM
Erik Jälevik

"John Russell" wrote in message

Is there a hole in the middle of the white part for a single pin?

Yes, it looks just like an RCA connector and an RCA plug also fits in it so
I suppose I'll give it a try.

Old July 6th 03, 07:29 PM
Erik Jälevik

"Dan F" wrote in message
Looks to me like its either an RCA or BNC connector. If its BNC you will
need a little converter but other than that it should work fine.

What's the difference? An RCA plug fits.

Old July 6th 03, 11:16 PM
Loz H

Erik Jälevik spewed forth in a fit of
boredom.

This might not be strictly the right place to ask but I was wondering
if anyone knows what the output labelled VIDEO IN in the following
picture is:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/erik.jalevik/tvback.jpg

It's from a really old TV that hasn't even got scart and it looks
identical to the TV out on my GeForce4. So my question is, is there
any chance that just connecting these two with a long cable would
work? Or would I need some conversion cable from the video card to RF?

Thanks.

Yep. Composite video input. Should work just as well as a SCART socket
would, seeing as in most video situations, all SCART equipment uses
composite video anyway.
Connecting the two together will work just fine. I have my GF4 wired the
same way up to my old, crufty, non-SCART VCR.

As far as audio is concerned, you can get a lead from Maplins electronics
that will interface your PC soundcard to that DIN input, but why bother. I`m
sure you will get better audio quality from your existing setup. )

HTH

Loz H

Old July 9th 03, 10:33 AM
Daniel Crichton

Erik Jälevik wrote:

I just tried that and I can't see a thing. What settings do I need to
change on the computer to get the TV out signal to the TV? Is it
enabled by default? In that case, it doesn't seem to work. I tried
both the AV channels on the TV plus did a full search but it never
got a signal.

You need to have the TV on and connected up before turning the PC on, as the
card needs to detect that the TV is there before enabling the TV out.

Dan

Old July 10th 03, 12:42 PM
Daniel Crichton

Erik Jälevik wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion but still nothing, unfortunately.

If you go into the Display Properties does it not give the option of
switching to TV out? Once the card detects that the TV is there it should
give you the option of enabling it - it won't be turned on by default, but
you should be able to set clone/span options. If that works you can then
look at enabling DualView if you want to use the TV and monitor at the same
time showing different desktops and running at independent
resolutions/refresh rates (this is how I have my setup running).

Dan

Old July 12th 03, 10:57 PM
Erik Jälevik

Excellent, thanks! I got it working after experimenting back and forth a bit
until suddenly some new tabs appeared in the properties.

I can't make the display go higher than 1024x768 on the TV though but I
suppose that's normal and it wouldn't make much difference anyway?