PSU vs FX5900

Old July 6th 03, 09:50 AM
Ger Tupker

Default PSU vs FX5900

I recently bought a MSI FX5900 TD (Non ultra version). On the retail box, it
says that, at least a 350Watt PSU is needed. Now at some times I do have
ssome stuttering framerates. Could this be caused by the fact that I have
only a 300 Watt PSU ? Any thoughts, ideas, opinions are welcome.

Ger

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

Old July 6th 03, 10:38 AM
KingStew

An insufficent power supply will cause random crashes, reboots etc. Not
stuttering framerates.

m...

Old July 6th 03, 11:19 AM

Power supplies are very cheap, even in the Netherlands, (I live there) so go
ahead and get a higher rated power supply at least to eliminate that
possibility. Ensure your motherboard chipset drivers are current, you're
using the latest NVIDIA drivers, and if your motherboard manufacturer
recommends any type of bios update for video problems then also do that as
well. In the Netherlands this is the webpage to shop for low prices:

http://www.tweakers.net/pricewatch

regards

m...

Old July 6th 03, 04:38 PM
Ger Tupker

Thanks for the reactions sofar. Could the stuttering be caused by caching to
harddisk?, in which case a memory upgrade might/could solve the matter?

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Ger Tupker" schreef in bericht
m...

Old July 7th 03, 02:13 PM
Ger Tupker

UT2003, Devastation, GTA3 Vice City etc. I think it has to do with caching
of the harddisk. It's not all the time. Mostly at the beginning. I guess I
have to OC a little. Only not a lot known yet as to OC'billity from MSI
FX5900 VT.

"Incognito" schreef in bericht
I am curious. Why types of games are you getting stuttering frame rates

in
with the 5900?

m...

Old July 7th 03, 02:42 PM
carchadon

Disk activity will stutter the display of a game or any other high CPU graphical
task - this isnt the Graphics card's fault but a CPU/Disk Read problem - add
more RAM or find out what it is using the disk up.

Ger Tupker wrote:

UT2003, Devastation, GTA3 Vice City etc. I think it has to do with caching
of the harddisk. It's not all the time. Mostly at the beginning. I guess I
have to OC a little. Only not a lot known yet as to OC'billity from MSI
FX5900 VT.

"Incognito" schreef in bericht
I am curious. Why types of games are you getting stuttering frame rates

in
with the 5900?

m...

Old July 7th 03, 03:10 PM
edde

It may also be the drivers.
Appaerently the 44.03's can cause problems in those games.
The software support pages for GTA VC, Enter The Matrix, and a couple other
games specifically recommend the 43.45's, and to stay away from the 44.03's.

One guy in here fixed his stuttering problems with the 43.45's after using
the 44.03's

Ger Tupker wrote:

UT2003, Devastation, GTA3 Vice City etc. I think it has to do with

caching
of the harddisk. It's not all the time. Mostly at the beginning. I guess

have to OC a little. Only not a lot known yet as to OC'billity from MSI
FX5900 VT.

"Incognito" schreef in bericht
I am curious. Why types of games are you getting stuttering frame

rates
in
with the 5900?

m...

Old July 7th 03, 08:06 PM
KingStew

Try defragmenting your hard disk but it sounds like you could do with some
more ram. 512mb is plenty for xp.

news

Ger Tupker wrote:

UT2003, Devastation, GTA3 Vice City etc. I think it has to do with

caching
of the harddisk. It's not all the time. Mostly at the beginning. I

guess
have to OC a little. Only not a lot known yet as to OC'billity from

MSI
FX5900 VT.

"Incognito" schreef in bericht
I am curious. Why types of games are you getting stuttering frame

rates
in
with the 5900?

m...