Newbie, shopping for video card

Old July 4th 03, 06:48 AM
Paul Greer

Default Newbie, shopping for video card

In that price range I think the GeForce FX5200 or maybe 5200Ultra would be
the card for you. I'm not totally sure on the exact prices, being a pommie
and all, but a google search, or a visit to newegg should confirm my
suspicions, or possibly just make me look silly. Anyway, the non-ultra
should be no trouble.

"Robert Bindler" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking for a new video card, preferably nVidia, but I have no
idea where to start. My current card (TNT2) is getting a little slow
for even older games.

The problem is, I'm not familiar with any newer products, and the
names aren't helping any. GeForce3? GeForce4? FX? TI? 4000? 4900? Does
anybody have a guide or FAQ I could read?

I'm not hoping to run Doom III at insane fps, or anything like that.
I'd just like a card that can play at least last year's games. I'm
looking to spend around $60-$80, if possible (online of course). my
mobo supports AGP up to 4x.

Another thing - are there any cards with TV-out in this price range?
If so, how good is the image quality on larger TV's? I'm interested in
playing some DIVX movies on it.

Old July 4th 03, 10:02 AM
Ron Merts

Look for a 128Mb FX 5200 card. Should come in around $80-$100 and give you
DirectX 9 compatibility and performance to run last years' games and some of
this years' games at decent speeds. Make sure your power supply is at least
300W, preferably 350-400W and you should be fine. The 64Mb cards are
cheaper but use a lame 64-bit datapath which severaly hampers performance,
so stick with the 128Mb models. If you want something with considerably
more uumph for under $200, look at the FX 5200 Ultra models. They generally
perform around 40% faster then their non-ultra counterparts, have 128Mb of
RAM and will power even most of today's games at acceptable speeds - not top
speeds or anything approaching some of the insane framerates I see people
wanting, but definitely acceptable.

Ron

Old July 4th 03, 06:42 PM
jhgd

I have find this card the geforce fx 5200 magic tdh
it'a as a 256bits graphic core .
http://www.shentech.com/lewia3tdhgef.html

[...]
-
-Ron

Old July 4th 03, 07:28 PM
Beowulf

Also, check out www.tomshardware.com

Not everyone likes them, but they put out decent comparision charts for
vid cards on both high end CPUs and mainstream CPUs