newby problems please help

Old July 3rd 03, 08:11 PM
Jez McAllister

Ok there could be a number of different problems here. 1stly was your
install of windows me a clean install or a install over a previous OS ? If
it is i suggest you do a full clean install of the OS you want to run or you
could end up with all manner of different problems. Secondly as far as the
probs with the game demos go i wouldnt worry to much as i to has some
strange probs with the hulk demo video sequences but when i got the original
game (for my kids lol) it ran fine. Demos are sometimes flaky on some
machines if there put out before the game is on sale (hitman2 demo had all
sorts of graphical gliches onit with my setup). You say you have no other
probs with games and only have the probs with the games off the mag disk ?.
If this is the case then i wouldnt try anything to dramatic as it could be
ok with the games retail version (i also know the colin mcrae uses a
microsoft media codec and when i installed the retail version of this game i
had a error message saying something like "media codec not installed" but
the game runs perfectly with the retail version for me. Can you name the
games that run fine on your system ? (are they older games that dont require
as much from your PC ?). You can also go into directx which is located in
program files and run the setup to see if there are any reported errors and
make sure under the display tab that agp texture acceleration ect is enabled
(theres 3 different things to enable alltogether in display). Is there a
sound prob in the demo games ? dose it stutter ? is it out of sequence with
the game ? if so look under sound tab (in direct x again) and where it says
"hardware sound acceleration level" there is a slider and move it around a
notch then try the game again, if no luck continue this untill you have been
through all the different settings each time trying the game but just
remember to move the slider back to the possision it was originaly in if
nothing changes. You say you have directx9 installed. Have you got windows
updated with all the avaliable updates ?. Theres other things you can try
but i could be here all night typing away. Try the things i mentioned in
this order. 1= Up date windows..2= make sure you have the latest avaliable
drivers for your graphics card and motherboard and sound card..3= try the
games again..4= go into direct x and do what i mentioned...5 try the game
again...6= report back here again and let me know whats happening...I hope
this info will sort you out and my guess is its nothing to big @ all if the
games are running ok but have some probs in the video sequences makes me
think its a driver issue or a windows update issue..
"Mike" wrote in message
I have just brought my first pc it has the following specs

nvidea geforce 4 mx440
AMD XP2000 +
256mb PC133 SD Ram

I installed windows (windows me) myself and also installed direct x 9 I

have
got everything running fine, apart from I have problem with certain games
they keep pausing (stopping) every few seconds, and even during the video
sequences infact it seems slightly worse during the video sequences.

At the moment I only have a demo disk from a magazine the games I have
problems with a

The Hulk Demo
Colin McRae Rally 3 Demo
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 Demo

(the games are being run from the hard drive not the dvd)

Other games I have tried seem to work fine.

Not sure if this is related to the nvidea or not, I would be grateful for
any ideas?
I have installed the latest drivers 44.03 (off the magazine disk)

Thanks for any help

Mike

Old July 3rd 03, 08:26 PM
Blaedmon

Default newby problems please help

what motherboard?

a few standard things you can try:
1. enter your bios and change graphics aperture to 64 - i dunno how much
video ram the mx440 has, but this should be fine.
2. go to via.com and get the 4-in1 Via drivers.
3. go to your motherboard manufacturers site and grab all drivers it
recommends -perhaps even grab the latest bios flash.
4. see if your soundcard is sharing the IRQ with your graphics card, if it
is - its advisable to split them up to their own irq's.
5. do you have a cpu/chipset temperature monitor program? Check how hot
those bits are getting. Games crashing is indicative of this.
6. good luck.

Old July 4th 03, 12:59 AM
Dave

"Blaedmon" wrote in message
what motherboard?

Yeah, and what sound card? Stuttering and hessitating is common on
Via/Creative systems. Then again it could just be the fault of the demos
themselves. It's very common for games to have patches made so they will
fix a hardware compatibility issue.

Dave

Have you had problems with iiyama VM Pro 454 or 451 monitors? Irish Rover Homebuilt PC's 8 January 8th 05 12:29 AM
Disk Replicator Problems Michael Heiming General 1 December 16th 04 07:49 PM
Sapphire Radeon 9800SE + Shuttle machine = Problems Jiri Kuukasjärvi General 2 September 12th 04 11:17 AM
Omega Drivers Striker Ati Videocards 14 June 10th 04 02:40 PM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 10:41 PM