ASUS PCI-V3800

Old July 2nd 03, 01:07 PM
lndk

Default ASUS PCI-V3800

Hi

I'm able to run ASUS PCI-V3800 16MB with version 12.xx of the ASUS driver
(On Win98SE). If I try to upgrade to a newer version of the driver (31.40H
or 44.03) my screen is black and the PC freeses during windows boot.

Does anybody successfully run a simmilar configuration (PCI 16MB and a new
ASUS driver on a Win98SE machine) or knows if there is any
incompatibillities in my setup.

Thanks in advance
Leif

Old July 2nd 03, 02:44 PM
Strontium

May I ask your reason for wanting the later drivers?

-

--
Strontium

"Please don't take my heart. It's all I have left. Even though it's
broken."

Old July 2nd 03, 03:11 PM
lndk

Hi,

Cause I hope to increase performance, and some games require updated OpenGL
drivers - and because I always do :-)
And before i start a long debugging session in my eager to get the newest of
the newest I just wanted to know if it's possible or not.

There are no other pleasures for guys with old hardware than to update it.

Leif

Old July 4th 03, 09:13 AM
lndk

God dam it!

The 44.03 NVIDIA driver works! That's really "great"... especially when I'm
running solely on ASUS hardware (MOBO & VGA).
It is amazing that NVIDIA gets it right while ASUS screws up the customized
driver FOR THEIR OWN PRODUCTS - is this normal??

I have been quite fond of ASUS because of there quality and their way of
distributing ONE driver for almost all ASUS VGA cards, but I must say it is
disappointing, that they claim compatibility with old TNT2 cards if this is
not the case in real life.

Any comments - please
Leif

"Strontium" skrev i en meddelelse
Understood, and understood. I have no personal experience, with that

card.
But, I will offer my take. I've found that the newer drivers 'are'
backwards compatible. However, it seems (at least, to me), only to a
certain degree. You've got and OLD card. I can't say that I'm surprised
that the newer drivers are hosing your system. Also, are these the 'Asus'
versions? Or, the nVidia detonators? If the former, you might try the
detonators (nVidia's version).

-

Old July 4th 03, 05:35 PM
zEnterHacker

Next problem:

The V3800 no longer powers off my monitor in suspend mode. It blanks the
screen, but it does not feature a complete power off of the monitor, so I
guess either V or H sync are not put in the right state. DAM it!

Any updated clues ( I know this has been an issue for the Detonator drivers
for a long time)

Regs
Leif

"Strontium" skrev i en meddelelse
news
It's very common practice to use ONLY detonators. YMMV

-
[...]

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."