GF fx 5200 magic agp gb/s question

Old June 28th 03, 03:14 PM
jhgd

Default GF fx 5200 magic agp gb/s question

how can i know wha's the agp bandwidth of my card

there is a lot of card that work at 6gb/s and more but
i'm questionning my self why on the web site of asus ( it a exemple) they
say the agp bandwidth go to
AGP 8X Technology a7v8x-wl

AGP8X (AGP 3.0) is the next generation VGA interface specification that
enables enhanced graphics performance with high bandwidth speeds up to
2.12GB/s and twice as fast as AGP4X.

to get the best of any game a should then choose a motherboard that goes
highier than 2.12gb/s... i'm i ok with that
thought .

Old June 28th 03, 05:00 PM
John Russell

"jhgd" wrote in message
how can i know wha's the agp bandwidth of my card

there is a lot of card that work at 6gb/s and more but
i'm questionning my self why on the web site of asus ( it a exemple) they
say the agp bandwidth go to
AGP 8X Technology a7v8x-wl

AGP8X (AGP 3.0) is the next generation VGA interface specification that
enables enhanced graphics performance with high bandwidth speeds up to
2.12GB/s and twice as fast as AGP4X.

to get the best of any game a should then choose a motherboard that goes
highier than 2.12gb/s... i'm i ok with that
thought .

I'm not sure but I think your confusing 2 attributes of a card. Firstly we
have the speed at which the onboard memory works. Secondly we have the speed
at which the AGP bus works, and hence how fast the card can access system
memory if an application should need it. Even at AGPx8 this is much slower
that the speed at which the card can use it's own memory. Most knowledgable
people would prefer to have lot's of fast onboard memory and just use the
fastest AGP speed that's available.

Old June 29th 03, 03:32 PM
jhgd

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:00:20 +0100, "John Russell"
wrote:

-
-"jhgd" wrote in message
[...]
-fastest AGP speed that's available.( wich is ...)
-
Then if i have an old motherboard i would never get what have pay for whit
my gf fx 5200. i went from gf2 mx 400 pro to a gf fx 5200. And i have'nt
seen much more performence. I guest i should get another mobo with a ddr
333 and a agp 3 system which would be the most advenced technoligy in
accesing speed...

Generaly then dont specify that speed of the agp port, it would be usefull
if so.
Old June 30th 03, 08:19 AM
Martin Eriksson

"John Russell" wrote in message
snip
You should remeber that the graphics card dosn't do everthing related to
rendering an image. The CPU is also involved. It would appear that in your
last system it was the CPU which was limiting how well your old card could
work.Getting a faster card dosn't overcome that restriction. It's a

question
of balance. Most gamers learn to play "leap-frog" with the CPU and

graphics
card, replacing each in sequence.

Yup, that's right. My "sequence" for the last few years looks like this:
Upgrade to P2 333 and nVidia TNT
Upgrade to Dual Celeron 400 (not much of an "upgrade")
Upgrade to GeForce 2 GTS
Upgrade to Athlon 1 GHz
Upgrade to GeForce 4 Ti4200
Upgrade to Athlon 2.1 GHz (just the CPU)

/M