Nvida and Linux - Suse 8.1.

Old June 27th 03, 01:49 PM
Nothing

Default Nvida and Linux - Suse 8.1.

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone is running a linux box at all, but here goes.

I recently downloaded the latest updates using Suse' online update facility.
Now I can't launch KDE without the login screen appearing garbled. I
searched a few threads elsewhere and discovered that I can actually launch
KDE from runlevel 3 no problem, appart from that is, KDE hangs after a
certain time.

Has anyone updated their nvidia drivers successully for Suse (or any other
variation?).

Cheers.
K.

Old June 27th 03, 01:57 PM
aep@nospam writeme.com

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:49:26 +0000 (UTC), "Nothing"
wrote:

Has anyone updated their nvidia drivers successully for Suse (or any other
variation?).

I haven't tried it in SuSE, but I used NVidia's own driver installer
on Mandrake 9.1 recently and it worked a charm. I only had to make one
change to the XF86Config file afterwards. Getting 3D acceleration to
work in Linux used to be a real pain, these new drivers are very easy
to install.

Andrew.
Old June 27th 03, 10:59 PM
baskitcaise

Nothing wrote:

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone is running a linux box at all, but here goes.

I recently downloaded the latest updates using Suse' online update facility.
Now I can't launch KDE without the login screen appearing garbled. I
searched a few threads elsewhere and discovered that I can actually launch
KDE from runlevel 3 no problem, appart from that is, KDE hangs after a
certain time.

Has anyone updated their nvidia drivers successully for Suse (or any other
variation?).

Cheers.
K.

I would suggest getting the drivers from Nvidias site, and also grab a copy of
the .pdf file that is there as well, read and inwardly digest then just run
the driver package.

If you are on a default 8.1 kernel then all should be a breeze and will work
fine.

Have a look on the Nv forum too just to see what can and can`t happen

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.