PCI-X video cards?

Old June 27th 03, 01:40 AM
Jared Richardson

Default PCI-X video cards?

Hi all,

I just purchased a new system (go Opteron!) and I find I didn't do quite
enough research. The PCI-X slots aren't backwards compatible, so I find
myself running w/the onboard video groan

Anyone know where I can get a PCI-X video card at a reasonable price? I
can't even find one advertised! I had intended to go with a nice affordable
GeForce4 MX 440 but since I have to choose between that and sound...

Help? tia.

Jared

Old June 27th 03, 02:31 AM
Jared Richardson

Nope... most of the Opteron boards are server grade and don't have AGP
slots.

I bought this Tyan board
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8s.html

Old June 27th 03, 03:56 AM
Thomas Andersson

Jared Richardson wrote:

Nope... most of the Opteron boards are server grade and don't have AGP
slots.

The Upcoming dual Opteron Asus board I saw somewhere did have AGP 8x.
Hmm, I thought PCI-X was supposed to be backwards compatible??

Best Wishes
Thomas

Old June 27th 03, 04:25 AM
First of One

The PCI-X slots are *supposed* to be backward-compatible with PCI cards.
Have you tried your sound card in one of the PCI-X slots?

Failing that, the board does have a USB port, right? You can always plop
down the cash for a Creative Extigy...

--
First of One, Primary Adjunctive Grid Alpha-01
Remove "NOT" from Email Address to Reply

Old June 27th 03, 05:07 AM
Dave

It says the boards comes with one "legacy" PCI slot. You could get a
Geforce4 MX440 PCI and plug it there, that is unless you already used the
slot for something else. I believe PNY makes a video card like that with
64mb of DDR ram.

Old June 27th 03, 12:33 PM
Jared Richardson

With the one PCI slot i had to choose between sound or better video. The
PCI-X I have is not physically compatible with the a PCI card... it will not
fit the slot.

When Anandtech.com did their review, they used a PCI-X GeForce4 440 MX, so
they exist somewhere (even if only as engineering samples)

Thanks all

Old June 27th 03, 12:33 PM
Jared Richardson

I've got one but the PCI-X slots are different. It won't physically fit in
the slot.

From what I had read, I believed they would be too.

"yeeyoh" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I just bought a MX440 64MB PCI card and it's working great so far. Huge
difference.
I've seen them on a lot of web sites, not very expensive to buy or
order in the states.

le.rogers.com...

Old June 28th 03, 05:39 AM
J.Clarke

Jared Richardson wrote:

Nope... most of the Opteron boards are server grade and don't have
AGP slots.

The Upcoming dual Opteron Asus board I saw somewhere did have AGP
8x. Hmm, I thought PCI-X was supposed to be backwards compatible??

For some reason Thomas' post is not showing up on my server so I'll
comment here--the ASUS board is using the Nforce 3 chipset, which does
_not_ support dual Opterons, it supports a _single_ Opteron.

Best Wishes
Thomas

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old June 28th 03, 05:40 AM
J.Clarke

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:33:35 GMT
"Jared Richardson" wrote:

I've got one but the PCI-X slots are different. It won't physically
fit in the slot.

From what I had read, I believed they would be too.

I looked into this in a bit more detail and found some information that
might be helpful.

The slots are "different" in two ways.

First, they are 64-bit slots, which means that they are physically
longer than 32-bit slots, and any board that has a "skirt" that drops
below the level of the connector will thus not fit.

Second, they are 3.3 volt slots. With 32-bit PCI there is a crossbar in
the slot that prevents boards that don't support the slot voltage from
physically fitting into the slot. For 3.3 volts this crossbar is toward
the card cage, usually at the back of the computer, while for 5v the
connector is physically turned around so it it toward the front of the
computer. The PCI-X slots have a one-piece 64-bit connector that
incorporates the 3.3v crossbar.

Most PCI boards currently on the market are "universal", i.e. they'll
work in 3.3 v or 5v slots and have the cutouts for both.

If your existing board won't fit into the slot then either it has a
skirt or it's a 5-volt-only board.

If you look at http://www.newegg.com you'll find that they have both
Radeon 9000 and Geforce FX 5200 boards in stock with PCI bus, no skirt,
and cutouts for both 3.3 and 5 volts, with photos of the boards so you
should be able to count pins and make sure that they will in fact
physically fit your machine before you order.