Any temp monitor for fx5800 ultra

Old June 24th 03, 12:15 PM
Tom Sadler

Default Any temp monitor for fx5800 ultra

they do have a monitor in them, but they won't let youput it on the desktop.
I'm watercooled, and using a Xaser III case that has six very quiet fans. I
haven't noticed any general temp increase. I also made a little duct to
blow the hot air out the back of the case. Anyway, thanks.

"Carl" wrote in message
Tom Sadler wrote:
Does anyone know if someone has written a utility to monitor the temp
on an fx5800? I want one I can have open on my desktop. I took the
the factory leaf blower off and I want to make sure it doesn't get
hot. I mounted a bigger, quieter fan blowing on heat fins

I would suggest that a fan blowing on the heat fins, although having some
cooling effect, will also help to just blow the hot air around the inside

of
your PC and may raise the general ambient temp. An exhaust fan is what

you
want - like a PCI slot fan. This sucks heat away from the card and blows

it
out the back of your PC. I would also suggest that the factory fitted
blower would be more efficient although I appreciate the noise aspect is a
bug bear for some people.

I have a 5800fx and with my PCI slot fan right below it the card's own

dual
fans hardly ever come on. The air coming out of the back of the PC

through
the PCI slot opening is quit warm and it also expels air from the rest of
the case.

I dunno what other cooling methods you employ but this is just my 2

pennies
worth.

As for you main question, the Det 44.03's that I am currently using have a
heat monitor built in but I don't know if this will be configured for your
card, or if its what you are truly looking for.

Carl

Old June 24th 03, 06:45 PM

I have a FX 5800 (non ultra) and if you have the Detonator 44.03 series
installed you can see the core temperatures very clearly. In Windows XP
right click the desktop and go to properties, settings, advanced, Geforce FX
5800. If you do not see a temperature setting then install cool bits and
then you should be able to see clock frequencies and temperature.

regards

news

Old June 24th 03, 11:00 PM
Tom Sadler

Thanks, I knew about that. I was hoping for a third party monitor like MBM.
One that would be capable of displaying temp in the taskbar or desktop.

"B" wrote in message
I have a FX 5800 (non ultra) and if you have the Detonator 44.03 series
installed you can see the core temperatures very clearly. In Windows XP
right click the desktop and go to properties, settings, advanced, Geforce

FX
5800. If you do not see a temperature setting then install cool bits and
then you should be able to see clock frequencies and temperature.

regards

news

Old June 24th 03, 11:04 PM
YanquiDawg

Hey,
I noticed you have a nvidia 5800. I'm thinking of buying one.What do you think
of it? I've heard of some image quality problems with earlier drivers,but
haven't heard anything either way since. Are you happy with the card?Hope you
don't mind this coming out of nowhere.Thanks,Pete

Old June 26th 03, 08:04 AM
Ron Merts

I have an ASUS GeForce FX 5800 and to be honest, it's not THAT noisy! Of
course it may be drowned out by the 120mm Vantec fan up front and the 4
Thermaltake 80mm fans but I have yet to hear my FX 5800 over the drone of my
system's fans. And this is after 2-3 hours of playing Unreal Tournament
2003 and/or Freelancer. The 5800 prices are dropping fast with the release
and availability of the 5900. Personally I'd go with the FX 5900 card.
They are only about $25-$50 more expensive and perform much more like what
we all hoped for from the FX 5800. The only reason to go with the FX 5900
Ultra (256Mb vs. 128Mb of memory) would be if you were wanting to run at
resolutions 1600X1200 or greater; otherwise you are just blowing an extra
$100. eVGA has their card available as well as Chaintech and Gainward as
well as a much smaller company, Prolink. The Prolink has some very nice
reviews and is competitively priced. The Gainward actually has 2 fans on it
in case one fails. I have a GeForce FX 5900 coming which is going to go
into a new P4 3.0Ghz Springdale system but the only reason I am not moving
the 5800 is because my son has an antique Dual P-III/933 system with a
GeForce2 GTS card; so he's getting a really nice upgrade to a P4 3.06.

Ron