Problem: Blank display after fiddling with primary/secondary display settings

Old June 16th 04, 10:38 PM
Rasmus Paetau

Default Problem: Blank display after fiddling with primary/secondary display settings

Hello!

I have a rather embarassing problem. I think I somehow managed to disable my
primary display and enable the secondary display in ATI Catalyst control
panel while playing around with the multi monitor settings. Since I don't
actually have more than 1 display, the result is that I no longer see
anything once Windows starts up. Is there some way I can reset the display
settings without installing all drivers from scratch using Windows VGA mode
(accessed by pressing F8 during startup in Windows 2000)?

Thanks in advance,
Rasmus

Old June 17th 04, 12:08 AM
Ben Pope

Rasmus Paetau wrote:
Hello!

I have a rather embarassing problem. I think I somehow managed to disable
my primary display and enable the secondary display in ATI Catalyst
control panel while playing around with the multi monitor settings. Since
I don't actually have more than 1 display, the result is that I no longer
see anything once Windows starts up. Is there some way I can reset the
display settings without installing all drivers from scratch using
Windows VGA mode (accessed by pressing F8 during startup in Windows 2000)?

Why don't you just plug the monitor into the secondary display port and
change it back? You should have had a DVI - VGA adaptor in the box if
required. Another option might be a TV.

Ben

Old June 17th 04, 01:03 AM
Bratboy

What about booting to safemode and changing things back or using, if you
have one, a real recent Sys restore point if nothing else. The other posible
work around is boot to safemode, go to device manger and remove the card.
Reboot and let it reinstall then would be back to basic settings I think.