mobo recommendation

Old April 4th 04, 03:17 PM
philo

Default mobo recommendation

after working on an XP2500+ based system for several days...
i've decided to replace what appears to be a flakey mobo.

i saw a Matsonic KT400 on newegg that looks ok (it's about $50usd)
but i don't know anything about them...
is that one ok? ...if not...what's better?
the computer's owner would have no problems paying more if necessary

philo

Old April 4th 04, 04:46 PM
S.Heenan

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-468&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...128-194&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...127-144&depa=1

Old April 4th 04, 05:07 PM
philo

"S.Heenan" wrote in message
philo wrote:
after working on an XP2500+ based system for several days...
i've decided to replace what appears to be a flakey mobo.

i saw a Matsonic KT400 on newegg that looks ok (it's about $50usd)
but i don't know anything about them...
is that one ok? ...if not...what's better?
the computer's owner would have no problems paying more if necessary

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-468&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...128-194&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...127-144&depa=1

thanks for the reply!

the matsonic board had good reviews...but *very few*

of the three links you posted that ABIT nforce looks like a real good one...

philo

Old April 4th 04, 06:15 PM
S.Heenan

philo wrote:
after working on an XP2500+ based system for several days...
i've decided to replace what appears to be a flakey mobo.

i saw a Matsonic KT400 on newegg that looks ok (it's about $50usd)
but i don't know anything about them...
is that one ok? ...if not...what's better?
the computer's owner would have no problems paying more if necessary

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-468&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...128-194&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...127-144&depa=1

thanks for the reply!

the matsonic board had good reviews...but *very few*

of the three links you posted that ABIT nforce looks like a real good
one...

All three are great boards, under $80USD. The Abit is slightly better at
overclocking, if that's a criterion.

One reason to stick with brand name boards is the online availability of
drivers, BIOS updates, and general info. Try to find info on a PC Chips
board made a few years ago and you'll see what I mean.

Old April 4th 04, 06:26 PM
philo

thanks for the reply!

the matsonic board had good reviews...but *very few*

of the three links you posted that ABIT nforce looks like a real good
one...

All three are great boards, under $80USD. The Abit is slightly better at
overclocking, if that's a criterion.

Don't need to over clock...just looking for something that's very stable...
the specs and price look fine for the ABIT. I'm sure if the board is good
for overclockers...it will be quite stable if not overclocked.

One reason to stick with brand name boards is the online availability of
drivers, BIOS updates, and general info. Try to find info on a PC Chips
board made a few years ago and you'll see what I mean.

I certainly know better than to go with a PC Chips board...
and even though I know ASUS is a very highly rated mfg... I've had a few
problems with some ASUS boards and wanted to try another
premium quality mfg. Most of the time, when I'm building a machine...
the person I'm building for merely wants a cheap one...

philo

Old April 4th 04, 07:21 PM
S.Heenan

philo wrote:
Don't need to over clock...just looking for something that's very
stable... the specs and price look fine for the ABIT. I'm sure if the
board is good for overclockers...it will be quite stable if not
overclocked.

Overclocked or not, it's fast and stable.

One reason to stick with brand name boards is the online
availability of drivers, BIOS updates, and general info. Try to find
info on a PC Chips board made a few years ago and you'll see what I
mean.

I certainly know better than to go with a PC Chips board...
and even though I know ASUS is a very highly rated mfg... I've had a
few problems with some ASUS boards and wanted to try another
premium quality mfg. Most of the time, when I'm building a machine...
the person I'm building for merely wants a cheap one...

Pay good, get good. It's that simple.

I can usually talk people into a better quality motherboard and power
supply. They grumble at a few bucks before hand, but almost never after
they've had the machine a while.

Old April 4th 04, 07:50 PM
kony

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:26:00 -0500, "philo" wrote:

I certainly know better than to go with a PC Chips board...

PCChips = Matsonic
Same company, Hsing-Tech
Old April 4th 04, 08:00 PM
philo

"kony" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:26:00 -0500, "philo" wrote:

I certainly know better than to go with a PC Chips board...

PCChips = Matsonic
Same company, Hsing-Tech

thanks...
i'm glad i asked first!

Old April 4th 04, 10:55 PM
~misfit~

philo wrote:
after working on an XP2500+ based system for several days...
i've decided to replace what appears to be a flakey mobo.

i saw a Matsonic KT400 on newegg that looks ok (it's about $50usd)
but i don't know anything about them...
is that one ok? ...if not...what's better?
the computer's owner would have no problems paying more if necessary

The Soltek SL-75FRN2-L is an excellent board. I've built five machines using
it. nForce2 Ultra 400 chip set. Very stable. Also Soltek's site is easy to
navigate it you need to download drivers or a later BIOS.

As a side-note, if you are into overclocking, my ladyfriend's XP2500+ is
running on a 200Mhz FSB for XP3200+ speeds on one of these boards and is
stable as a rock.
--
~misfit~

Old April 4th 04, 10:57 PM
~misfit~

kony wrote:
On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:26:00 -0500, "philo" wrote:

I certainly know better than to go with a PC Chips board...

PCChips = Matsonic
Same company, Hsing-Tech

LOL. I knew I could rely on you Dave.
--