Recommendations and request for benchmarks, Ti4200 vs R9600

Old October 27th 03, 01:08 AM
porpoise

Default Recommendations and request for benchmarks, Ti4200 vs R9600

Hi, do you guys know of any sites with direct benchmark comparisons
between a GF4 Ti4200 and Radeon 9600? I'm deciding between the two
right now. I've looked but can only find 9600 pro vs Ti4200
benchmarks, but I'm only interested in the 9600.

Thanks!
Old October 27th 03, 01:57 AM
phobos

porpoise wrote:

Hi, do you guys know of any sites with direct benchmark comparisons
between a GF4 Ti4200 and Radeon 9600? I'm deciding between the two
right now. I've looked but can only find 9600 pro vs Ti4200
benchmarks, but I'm only interested in the 9600.

Thanks!

My brother has a 9600 Pro, and as far as I know the regular 9600 just
has a slower clock speed (possibly ram timings too). I doubt it would
be all that much slower on a mid-range system.

I like the 9600 better than the GF4's as personal preference, so I'd go
with them if that was the only choice. Otherwise I'd save a few more
bucks and get a FX5700U shortly, it's got much better bang for the buck
and it's a good price.

Old October 27th 03, 04:49 AM
Eyman

hi

i know this is off the topic, but ive got a Ti4200 and am looking to upgrade
to a 9600pro. could you please post the link to this review.

thanks

eyman

om...

Old October 27th 03, 06:51 AM
porpoise

phobos wrote in message

My brother has a 9600 Pro, and as far as I know the regular 9600 just
has a slower clock speed (possibly ram timings too). I doubt it would
be all that much slower on a mid-range system.

I'm running a XP 2200+ (1.8GHz).

I like the 9600 better than the GF4's as personal preference, so I'd go
with them if that was the only choice. Otherwise I'd save a few more
bucks and get a FX5700U shortly, it's got much better bang for the buck
and it's a good price.

I've got the choice of a Chaintech Ti4200 64MB for $94US or a Sapphire
9600 128MB for $113US (both with TV and DVI out). My old Ti4200 just
died on me (see another thread I started recently) and I need to get a
new card. If the 9600 will do as good as the 4200, I'd take it,
especially since the 9600 seems to run cooler and doesn't require a
onboard fan., just a passive heatsink. For the extra $20 I'd pay, the
lack of noise and the extra 64MB might be worth it to me, assuming the
rest of the performance is equal.
Old October 27th 03, 08:00 AM
phobos

porpoise wrote:

phobos wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like you need one quick then. Definitely go for the regular 9600
right now. It'll tide you over for quite a while as a bargain card. I
know the Pro version can get kinda hot if you overclock it, but a plain
9600 fanless model should be no hotter than ambient case temp.

Old October 27th 03, 10:11 AM
porpoise

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2...o/index.x?pg=1 for one.
Old October 27th 03, 04:11 PM
Skid

"porpoise" wrote in message
om...
"Eyman" wrote in message

hi

i know this is off the topic, but ive got a Ti4200 and am looking to

upgrade
to a 9600pro. could you please post the link to this review.

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2...o/index.x?pg=1 for

one.

There are several extensive comparisons of all the current ATI and Nvidia
cards in the video section of http://www.digit-life.com/

The Ti4200 doesn't fully support DX9 and can't keep up when AA and AF are
enabled. A 9600 is a wiser choice for current and upcoming games, IMHO.