PCI ADSL Modem

Old October 14th 04, 05:07 PM
DavidM

Default PCI ADSL Modem

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a PCI ADSL Modem for my GA-8hixp motherboard.
Anyone got any experience in this field I am being warned about IRQ
conflicts, Creative sound conflicts and general dropping of connection
problems. Anyone got any good news :-)). I use Windows Home SP2. I
use the onboard sound, and I do not have anything else in my PCI slots.

Thanks for any help

Old October 15th 04, 02:47 PM
Wayne

not sure why you would not use an external modem and then Ethernet back to
your PC I would think you could have the same problems of compatibility as
some folks who use USB Ethernet adapters? Also a surge on the line goes
right into the heart of your computer.

Is there a compelling reason not to use an external modem connected by
Ethernet cable? You also do not have the ability to use a wireless router to
expand your network or add computers or am I missing something?

Wayne

Old October 15th 04, 06:54 PM
DavidM

Hi Wayne,

At the moment I use a USB US Robotics external ADSL modem. I live with my
wife and am 60 years old, she stays as far as she can away from computers,
so I cannot ever see the prospect of me wanting to connect other computers
to my system. My computer is protected from Power surges with dampers at
the plugs. I use my comp for gaming on the Internet Age of Empires and the
like.

I do not have a compelling reason to change and may well not, I am just
trying to find out about it before I make a decision. I started looking
when I suffered from persistent Internet Connection "drop offs". One of the
first things I noted was that the US robotics 8500 modem takes 500 ma and my
USB ports gives a MAX of 500 ma. I thought that was a little close for
comfort so I thought I would look at PCI. The drop offs have stopped for
some reason that I do not know, I have not changed anything on my system to
bring it about. It might be that my complaints to my ISP brought about
some change at their end, I just do not know.

To me it is simpler to have the modem in your machine out of the way. I
also understand that you get marginally better latency with a PCI modem.
Apart from that no reason what ever.

Thanks for the help

David M