GA-8KNXP 2.0 - FJ BIOS

Old September 17th 04, 01:36 PM
Richard Dower

Default GA-8KNXP 2.0 - FJ BIOS

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8KNXP%20(Rev%202.0).htm

Download here, dated September 15th 2004:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Do..._8knxp2_fj.exe

Not tried them, i just HOPE they fixed the boot delay issue i experienced
using SATA drives in RAID 0, will report my experience in using this new
BIOS.

Old September 17th 04, 07:47 PM
Richard Dower

I've had a chance now to check out the latest FJ BIOS, they rock!!!!

No SATA boot delay issue...everything is working perfect, it's just like FH,
but more recent. The date displayed during bootup is September 10th 2004.

In fact, and it might be my imagination, i think the boot time is a little
quicker using FJ. Overall i am most pleased and Gigabyte have resolved the
bug i reported.

Old September 18th 04, 10:18 AM
Kilgore Trout Jr

This new BIOS has cured a problem I was having with a new CD drive. If I
left a disk in the drive when I went to S3 standby, the drive would not
function when I woke up the machine. The drive light would blink
continuously, I couldn't eject the tray with the front panel button, and the
drive icon would disappear from My Computer. A re-boot was required to
restore things to normal. I assumed this was a firmware problem with the
Asus drive, but the new FJ BIOS has provided a cure. Machine seems to be
running better than ever!

Old September 18th 04, 03:49 PM
Sam

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 09:18:08 GMT, "Kilgore Trout Jr"
wrote:

This new BIOS has cured a problem I was having with a new CD drive. If I
left a disk in the drive when I went to S3 standby, the drive would not
function when I woke up the machine. The drive light would blink
continuously, I couldn't eject the tray with the front panel button, and the
drive icon would disappear from My Computer. A re-boot was required to
restore things to normal. I assumed this was a firmware problem with the
Asus drive, but the new FJ BIOS has provided a cure. Machine seems to be
running better than ever!

FJ caused mine not to even load up the XP boot logo without rebooting
and bringing up the last known good config boot menu, glad I backed up
FI (which I have no issues with) just before I upgraded.

Still no updated ICH5R RAID bios as well. :-(
Old September 18th 04, 05:16 PM
Richard Dower

"Sam" wrote in message

Still no updated ICH5R RAID bios as well. :-(

Indeed, the BIOS for ITE, Intel and Silicon Image have not been updated at
all. I checked everything before and nothing save for the main Gigabyte BIOS
has been updated.

Old September 18th 04, 05:18 PM
Richard Dower

"Sam" wrote in message

FJ caused mine not to even load up the XP boot logo without rebooting
and bringing up the last known good config boot menu, glad I backed up
FI (which I have no issues with) just before I upgraded.

Dunno, i had a SATA boot delay issue with FI, so i went back to FH. But FJ
is working fine for me....seems each motherboard responds differently to
BIOS updates.

Old September 19th 04, 02:43 PM
Richard Dower

"Karen Parker" wrote in message

Did you Flash, reboot and then set the Fail Safe defaults then reboot
again
before you entering your setting..?

This is a MUST..

I reset to failsafe defaults before upgrading BIOS, then upgraded both the
main and backup BIOS to FJ.

The Intel, ITE and Sil BIOS were exactly the same.

Old September 19th 04, 02:44 PM
Richard Dower

"Karen Parker" wrote in message

It will, I have the Latest 1.7 ITE Bios, and Gigabyte stated that this
Bios I
have will be made Public..

This New ITE Bios lets me select any drive to boot from, as listed in the
ITE
Bios history.

It may, but FJ has not updated any of the above mentioned BIOS.

Old September 19th 04, 02:46 PM
Richard Dower

"Karen Parker" wrote in message

Not if you Flash it correctly and set the Fail Safe defaults..

I'm not an idiot, and FYI...you should set fail safe defaults BEFORE
upgrading the BIOS. You reset the BIOS to their factory defaults and then
flash the BIOS.

And there is no can or can't when flashing BIOS, it either works or it
won't. It's not brain surgery to flash Gigabyte BIOS anyways.