GA-8IHXP 850 Chipset and HT Tech????

Old September 13th 04, 09:03 PM
Builder

Default GA-8IHXP 850 Chipset and HT Tech????

I have had the above motherboard for the last year or so and I must say its
the best board I have ever owned. I have certainly kept it the longest
without upgrading. I am purchasing a 3.06 pent 4 533 MHz HT CPU. I have
upgraded to latest Bios which is said to support HT Technology. I don't have
the chip yet but as I browse through the bios I don't see any options to
enable or disable the HT'ing. Does this option only appear when the HT CPU
has been installed and detected by the bios or is there simply no field in
the bios that relates to the HT. Or perhaps I simply missed it. If someone
could please shed some light on this it would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Builder

Old September 14th 04, 01:59 AM
Builder

Thanks so much for clearing that up. I like to dabble with over clocking a
bit myself but really didn't expect the 3.06 to be much of an over clocker
as it seems to be right at the top for a Northwood. I have been using the
Swiftech MCX462-U heat sink with my 2.4 Gig and it will run very stable at
140 MHZ. I will certainly use this heat sink on and try and bump up the 3.06
a bit myself. Thanks again!!

Builder
"Teear" wrote in message
"Builder" wrote:

I have had the above motherboard for the last year or so and I must say
its
the best board I have ever owned. I have certainly kept it the longest
without upgrading. I am purchasing a 3.06 pent 4 533 MHz HT CPU. I have
upgraded to latest Bios which is said to support HT Technology. I don't
have
the chip yet but as I browse through the bios I don't see any options to
enable or disable the HT'ing. Does this option only appear when the HT CPU
has been installed and detected by the bios or is there simply no field in
the bios that relates to the HT. Or perhaps I simply missed it. If someone
could please shed some light on this it would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Builder

It doesn't show up unless you have a hyper threading capable CPU
installed. Then it will show up as the last item on the BIOS
"Advanced BIOS Features" page as "CPU Hyper Threading Support"
Enabled/Disabled. I'm running the 3.06 GHz with the F8 BIOS at 136.00
MHz FSB, V Core Voltage +0.025 V. Even though I'd rather have
reliability than super speed, I was surprised to find that with my
particular 3.06 GHz 8IHXP everything ran faster at 136.00 MHz rather
than the 133.00 MHz FSB with no effect on reliability. I found that
the boxed Intel Pentium 3.06 GHz heatsink/fan combination was horribly
inadequate. The fan would really wind up at high CPU temps just to
keep it from getting too hot. The noise from the fan forced me to
replace the Intel "solution" with a Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu CPU Cooler
which stays nice and quiet, relatively speaking.

Old September 16th 04, 05:11 PM
DavidM

Hi Builder,

I have had an 8IHXP for some, I bought it when they first came out, which I
have found reliable, not that I am an expert in these things. I was
interested in he fact that your are running a 3.06 CPU. Does it follow
that my older board will take this CPU?

Thanks for any help

Old September 16th 04, 06:29 PM
DavidM

Hi Builder,

My board version is 2.1.

Just an after thought as you are running the same board my motherboard TEMP
is around 33 c with nothing running. Anyone know the optimum temp for the
CPU/Board.

Thanks

David M