Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo A (socket 775) wont recognize anything connected to IDE2 or IDE3 channels

Old September 6th 04, 08:51 AM
Dr Nick

Default Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo A (socket 775) wont recognize anything connected to IDE2 or IDE3 channels

Greetings,

My first time in this group.

I'm encountering a strange problem with gigabyte board & have reached
my wits end troubleshooting it. I will try to describe in detail whats
happening and what I've done so far.

1. The problem.

This board Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo A with newest bios version F3 (D/L
from gigabytes website will NOT recognize anything I connect to the
IDE2 or IDE3 channels. (However, it will recognize anything I connect
to IDE1 channel)

I have 2 IDE Maxtor drives connected to the IDE1 channel set as
master/slave on the jumpers. The board picks this up fine during boot
and in the BIOS. It also picks up the sony floppy drive I have
connected too.

I have a Samsung cdrom & Nec dvd+rw drive connected to the IDE2
channel set as master/slave on the jumpers. (BTW, I have also tried
jumpers set to cable select which doesn't do anything) which the board
won't pick up during boot nor show in the BIOS. I do have power to the
2 drives since the lites come on and I can open/close the trays.

2. What i've done so far.

I have switched the cdrom + dvd+rw drives to IDE1 channel while also
switching the 2 maxtor IDE drives to IDE2 channel. Then I can not see
the IDE maxtor drives on IDE2 channel.

I have tried setting one IDE drive to IDE1 channel. With the second
IDE drive to the IDE2 channel. And the cdrom + dvd+rw drives to the
IDE3 channel. Result, boot up & bios can only see whats connected to
IDE1 channel.

I have disconnected usb2 ports which were provided with my case as
suggested in the FAQ on gigabytes website.

All drives are set to auto mode in bios. Under advanced bios settings
accessed thru Cntrl + F1.

I have loaded safe mode settings in bios and optimized settings in
bios with no change.

I have verified the power and IDE ribbon cables are good.

I have enabled and disabled the onboard H/W raid setting in bios.

I have enabled and disabled SATA on-chip support.

Under intergrated peripherals for On-chip SATA mode I have tried
enabled, disabled, combined, non-combined, and enhanced. Still no
change.

I have changed the boot sequence.

I have enabled/disabled USB2.0 support in bios.

3. Misc thoughts.

In the bios under intergrated peripherals the first option is

On-chip Primary PCI IDE enabled (I have it set to enabled)

Should there be a On-chip Secondary PCI IDE option in the bios? And I
just cant see it?

I am aware of the advanced bios options on gigabyte boards which can
be accessed by using Cntrl + F1

However, I dont see anything in there that can help me with the IDE
channels.

I have successfully run 2 IDE hard drives on IDE1 and 2 cdrom and/or
burners drives on IDE2 on the same ribbon and power cables on other
systems without any issues. (intel boards) and I dont see why gigabyte
boards would be any different.

I do not have any SATA drives connected and dont want to use RAID.

Every other function on the mobo is working. The bios can see and
correctly reports the specs for CPU memory and fans.

I highly doubt the mobo is bad. (altho that is within the realm of
possibilites).

4. System specs.

Pentium 4 3.4 (1MB cache) with stock intel heatsink & fan.

OCZ DDR2 512MB memory connected on DDR2 dual channel.
(Total memory installed is 1GB)

Dell Geforce MX 420 64MB 4x AGP card connected to AGP riser. (aka
G.E.A.R. slot) (btw I know this card sucks and plan on changing it
once I get this IDE problem figured out)

This board has onboard sound.

If anyone has this board or has encountered a similar problem with
gigabyte boards. I would like to know how you set up your bios.

Note: a pro version of this board also exists. (I am using the non-pro
version)

Regards,

MrGompers

Old September 6th 04, 01:29 PM
Richard Dower

Huh?....there is only one IDE connector on that board supporting two
devices.

So how can you connect four?

Is this the board?

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard...0Duo%20Pro.htm

If you have them connected to a VIA RAID controller then you need to enable
this within the BIOS. I assume you would also need to load RAID drivers
during F6 of a fresh install, unless you are using the controller as simple
ATAPI.

"Dr Nick" wrote in message
[...]

No, since there is only one IDE channel supported by the ICH6R, you can only
connect two ATAPI devices to it. If you want more then you use the VIA
controller.

Clearly it's a BIOS issue and you have not properly learned how to configure
your BIOS correctly.

Old September 6th 04, 07:56 PM
Dr Nick

You were close with the board.

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard...915P%20Duo.htm

That is the board I have. The non-pro version. If you say there is
only one IDE connector why does the board have IDE1 IDE2 IDE3 slots
labeled? I'm not using RAID and dont plan too. I'm not using any
controller cards either.

Sounds like the IDE2 IDE3 slots can only be used for RAID purposes.
If thats the case I dont see how you could hook up any cdrom devices.
Since the IDE1 slot is specifically mentioned in the users manual for
hooking up IDE drives. So, you can use Xpress recovery.

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 13:29:40 +0100, "Richard Dower"
wrote:

Huh?....there is only one IDE connector on that board supporting two
devices.

So how can you connect four?

Is this the board?

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard...0Duo%20Pro.htm

If you have them connected to a VIA RAID controller then you need to enable
this within the BIOS. I assume you would also need to load RAID drivers
during F6 of a fresh install, unless you are using the controller as simple
ATAPI.

.. .

Old September 6th 04, 08:12 PM
Richard Dower

"Dr Nick" wrote in message

You were close with the board.

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard...915P%20Duo.htm

That is the board I have. The non-pro version. If you say there is
only one IDE connector why does the board have IDE1 IDE2 IDE3 slots
labeled? I'm not using RAID and dont plan too. I'm not using any
controller cards either.

The ICH6R has only one IDE channel, the other two IDE's are controlled by
the VIA VT6410 RAID controller.

Sounds like the IDE2 IDE3 slots can only be used for RAID purposes.
If thats the case I dont see how you could hook up any cdrom devices.
Since the IDE1 slot is specifically mentioned in the users manual for
hooking up IDE drives. So, you can use Xpress recovery.

You should be able to use the VIA controler in normal ATAPI mode, non RAID.

Did you download the drivers?;
http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Do...r_raid_via.exe

Did you enable the controller in the BIOS?, you should have an option to set
the VIA Controller to RAID or BASE?

A newer driver revision is available at VIA:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=310

You might need to enable the controller wthin BIOS and load the RAID drivers
during the F6 stage of a fresh install.

Old September 6th 04, 08:22 PM
Richard Dower

"Dr Nick" wrote in message

What is your boot order within BIOS?...i'm looking at the PDF manual. It
should be set to Floppy/CD-ROM and Hard Disk.

I think the problem is within the hard disk boot priority.

Old September 6th 04, 08:25 PM
Richard Dower

"Dr Nick" wrote in message

If the VIA controller only supports RAID then one option is to hook the
optical drives to the IDE1 controller, Then connect the IDE drives to the
VIA and setup RAID.

Old September 7th 04, 01:24 AM
Dr Nick

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:22:52 +0100, "Richard Dower"
wrote:

"Dr Nick" wrote in message
.. .

What is your boot order within BIOS?...i'm looking at the PDF manual. It
should be set to Floppy/CD-ROM and Hard Disk.

I think the problem is within the hard disk boot priority.

I just changed the boot order to what you suggested here.

Old September 7th 04, 01:36 AM
Dr Nick

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:12:17 +0100, "Richard Dower"
wrote:

"Dr Nick" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

You have definitely pushed me in the correct direction with this
answer. One thing thats wierd tho is the RAID drivers that can be
loaded during F6 stage of windows install are too large to fit on a
floppy. How do I get them installed?

I also just tried booting with the gigabyte drivers CD instead and it
said my hard drive doesnt support HPA.

I dont see an option to set the IDE2 to ATAPI mode either.

So, since it looks like I'm stuck with RAID maybe you can answer this
question.

I have 2 IDE hard drives. First one is 30gb second is 80gb (both
maxtor) When I set up the RAID array I chose RAID 0. Will that
prevent me from using all of the availble space on both drives?

I'm not interested in data backup etc. Just the fastest speeds
possible with IDE drives. From the link you gave me it looks like I
will be able to use all space available on both drives.

BTW. I'm using Winxp Pro.

Thanx for your time and answers

Old September 7th 04, 02:40 AM
Dr Nick

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:36:26 -0400, Dr Nick
wrote:

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:12:17 +0100, "Richard Dower"
wrote:

"Dr Nick" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

well I just answered my own questions. If you use uneven sizes for
the hard drives you wont be able to use all the space on the drives.
I also noticed that I only have to copy the drivers folder on those
RAID files which you gave me a link for.

Thanx for the help.

Looks like this problem is solved.

MrGompers
Old September 7th 04, 02:50 AM
Richard Dower

"Dr Nick" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:12:17 +0100, "Richard Dower"
wrote:

"Dr Nick" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Sadly for RAID 0 both drives would have to be the same size and model.
Perhaps RAID 1 might work?